"Please power down and connect the pci-e power cable" GTX 1060

ApherFox

So, I bought a desktop thought to be broken due to the error message "Please power down and connect the pci-e power cable" not allowing the previous owner to boot into Windows.
I thought that the power supply may have been shot or they just didn't connect the correct cable.
But now I am stumped, after testing the GPU out on a desktop proven to work. I get the same thing "Please power down and connect the pci-e power cable"

Is there perhaps another method of testing which I am missing? Perhaps using a multimeter?

Thanks in advance.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

24 minutes ago, gloop said:

Sorry for the stupid question, but I assume the PCIE cable is connected?

Yea I made sure the PCIE cable is connected, that's one of the things I thought was wrong.
And it isn't a stupid question haha

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Thanks for the suggestion,
I already followed that video but it did not fix my issue

39 minutes ago, ApherFox said:

Yea I made sure the PCIE cable is connected, that's one of the things I thought was wrong.
And it isn't a stupid question haha

So, if the PCI-E cable is connected, but the message still appears, is it possible the cable itself is faulty?

Or the port/slot that the cable connects to?

5 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

So, if the PCI-E cable is connected, but the message still appears, is it possible the cable itself is faulty?

I did try another PSU with separate PCI-E cable so it can't be that, although it may be that they port itself could be faulty, do you know of any method to test that?

7 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

Seems like the connector on the GPU side could be the problem.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 minute ago, ApherFox said:

I did try another PSU with separate PCI-E cable so it can't be that, although it may be that they port itself could be faulty, do you know of any method to test that?

Unfortunately, I'm not an expert, so I honestly couldn't say.

I don't want to give you bad information, my friend. 

On 2/9/2021 at 8:59 PM, Vishera said:

Seems like the connector on the GPU side could be the problem.

I've taken a look at the connector itself and tested it with a multimeter and it is definitely fine, the gpu is getting 12V+ from the 3 yellow wires on the PCI-E cable.

I am so confused as to what the problem may be, could it have something to do with the VRMs on the card?

1 minute ago, ApherFox said:

I've taken a look at the connector itself and tested it with a multimeter and it is definitely fine, the gpu is getting 12V+ from the 3 yellow wires on the PCI-E cable.

I am so confused as to what the problem may be, could it have something to do with the VRMs on the card?

If it's not the connector,then you will have to check where these traces go and check them and everything in their way.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, Txaps said:

Try using this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085VQ94YJ/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A21G2TI9GD0P30&psc=1

I have the same issue believe it or not but maybe you'll get  more power to make it boot into Windows if you use this type of cable

or maybe get a new power supply and see if that works 

I get what you're suggesting, thing is that what you linked isn't compatible with my GPU as it requires 6 pin PCIe instead of the 8 pin one.

As for the power supply, I've already tried it with a working one and checked the power supplies with a multimeter, both being completely fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Check the pins try cleaning them watch this tech yes city video this might help

I would try the card in other PC just to eliminate the GPU out of the equation.

If you get the same error message then the GPU is faulty though it can be mobo too.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.