RTX 3080 Founders Edition Overheating Memory

Go to solution Solved by tishous,
2 minutes ago, louij2 said:

+150

Yeah that OC shouldn't be an issue. You could try replacing the thermal pads. This is a common issue with the FE models of the 3080, so I wouldn't say yours has any particular problem. 

When the card is idle, what memory temperatures do you get?

Hi

I can't seem to get my Memory junction temps lower than 108/110c. I have 80mm fans pointed at my 3080 and it's not helping at all. I have even tried with the card outside the case but Junction is 110c whilst core is 35c! Do I really have to water cool my brand new card and void warranty? Only thing I can think of is thermal pads but warranty too... At this rate the card wont last long. I have a 6800 xt and the junction temps on that never go above 80c

This issue appears when mining dagger hashimoto and I can't go above 70/80 MH/s as mem overheats in seconds.

I have some thermal pads on order as the ones they're using seem ultra soft and ultra low dissipation rate.

unknown.png

New thermal pads and following this helps https://www.igorslab.de/en/simple-pad-mod-for-the-force-rtx-3080-founders-edition-slowers-the-gddr6x-temperature-by-a-whopping-8-degrees/

Does the memory overheat in games as well?

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

1 minute ago, tishous said:

Does the memory overheat in games as well?

Yeah if overclocked & depends on the game and how long I'm playing. The cooler seems good just Nvidia cheaped out on the thermal pads of they used ultra soft ones for some manufacturing reason. Also I saw this https://www.igorslab.de/en/simple-pad-mod-for-the-force-rtx-3080-founders-edition-slowers-the-gddr6x-temperature-by-a-whopping-8-degrees/

Just now, louij2 said:

Yeah if overclocked & depends on the game and how long I'm playing.

What overclock do you have on the memory?

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

Just now, tishous said:

What overclock do you have on the memory?

+150

+150

Yeah that OC shouldn't be an issue. You could try replacing the thermal pads. This is a common issue with the FE models of the 3080, so I wouldn't say yours has any particular problem. 

+150

This is a recurring issue with the FE cards , it's an issue with G6X in general , new technology overheating like crazy , I think Steve from gamers nexus  is doing/done a video on that issue.

3 minutes ago, tishous said:

Idle temps are 50/55c

2 minutes ago, bruh11111 said:

This is a recurring issue with the FE cards , it's an issue with G6X in general , new technology overheating like crazy , I think Steve from gamers nexus  is doing/done a video on that issue.

Great to hear that Steve will cover an issue as I thought it was a non issue. Also seems like a bit of oversight from Nvidia cheaping out on thermal pads...

Just now, louij2 said:

Idle temps are 50/55c

Great to hear that Steve will cover an issue as I thought it was a non issue.

Those are quite high for being idle. The memory cooling on the FE models aren't good at all, so thermal pads may help. I would suggest doing that for now. 

The main issue with fixing it is there is a lack of good quality thermal pads available at the moment. I can't find the 3mm fibre glass ultra soft pads Igor used alas I will try 1.5mm ThermalRight pads 12 W/m.K for the dies and 3mm AABCOOLING Thermopad 6W/mK for the back of the card

5 minutes ago, louij2 said:

The main issue with fixing it is there is a lack of good quality thermal pads available at the moment. I can't find the 3mm fibre glass ultra soft pads Igor used alas I will try 1.5mm ThermalRight pads 12 W/m.K for the dies and 3mm AABCOOLING Thermopad 6W/mK for the back of the card

Yeah I would just look at reviews of different thermal pads and buying the best one in stock.

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, CryptoAtHome said:

If anybody wants to see the results after a full repad of the 3080 FE with Gelid Extreme and Ultimate, you can check the results here:

3080 FE Thermal Pad Mod (-20°C) | Improve your mining hashrate! - YouTube

I literally just did that yesterday with my 3090 FE.

If you're the same "CryptoAtHome" as the video author, then thank you so much.

I went from 110C to 90C on my VRAM with a 1250+ mhz on the memory.

3 minutes ago, DobertRownySr said:

I literally just did that yesterday with my 3090 FE.

If you're the same "CryptoAtHome" as the video author, then thank you so much.

I went from 110C to 90C on my VRAM with a 1250+ mhz on the memory.

Yeah that would be me. Glad I could help 🙂