Valve and Xi3's 'Steam Box'

TheIceCreamMan

I think Gabe has lost it. He claims Win 8 is detrimental to PC gaming so his solution is to come up with this and run linux on it. But what's more detrimental to PC gaming Win 8 or Gabe trying to force the end user into using Linux. Linux sucks for home use.

i5 3570K - MSI GD65 z77 - 660ti 2gb SLI - Kingston HyperX Blu 8gb (4x2gb) - Corsair H100i - Corsair 500r - Corsair HX 850w - Kingston HyperX 120gb SSD

The "Piston" is not the Steambox. The Piston is one of Xi3's machines, but it is NOT the Steambox that Valve will be developing/creating.

The Piston is most likely an idea that Valve wants to use, but it is nowhere near the size of the real product. The link I attached below has prototype pictures of a "Steambox".

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea, that they are thinking about the future of gaming. I remember in school we were talking the Phantom game console, where everything would be upgradeable, even the motherboard, where you would get a hard drive or so to play the actual games. The problem with this idea and game consoles is that you can't upgrade any the hardware. "Hello, Apple"... Well, pretty much any of the game console we have on the market. This idea is more for those who don't have anymore for a PC.

I'm thinking it might be a possibility that valve will become a vendor for steam box specific graphics cards. That way they can manufacture cards based on current gpu architecture in weird form-factors to fit inside their small "steam box", then newer games will run better on newer graphics cards making the gaming industry keep up with current hardware and also providing profit long term.

Imagine having a console that never goes out of date because it's to slow, ^ well there is your solution.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I'm thinking it might be a possibility that valve will become a vendor for steam box specific graphics cards. That way they can manufacture cards based on current gpu architecture in weird form-factors to fit inside their small "steam box", then newer games will run better on newer graphics cards making the gaming industry keep up with current hardware and also providing profit long term.

Imagine having a console that never goes out of date because it's to slow, ^ well there is your solution.

you'd just have to do a simple upgrade :) and then tada! you have a brand new machine 1 year down the road that could do everything the latest model could do

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I wonder how much it will cost. They can't expect to sell that many for $1K

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Hopefully same servers. I always wanted that with my xbox, but I guess their could be advantages and disadvantages for both. Either way depending on the price this steambox could be good or terrible. 1k is more than my pc and I play everything I have on max no problem.

Will it play on PC servers? Or will it have its own dedicated servers and lobbies.
It will probably run on PC servers. It's still a tiny PC afterall, hmm?

I think this move would really push Linux gaming, something I'm looking forward to.

I don't see the point of it being so small, doesn't that just increase price?

Good Morning...

The major weakness of this is purely that it's running GNU/Linux, and a locked down version of that I assume (wouldn't it basically be locked to Steam big picture mode?)

Simply you won't have near the same library that a Windows platform would have

Sure, Steam Linux is in beta and it has some games running fine, but there's no way developers are going to port all their old library of games from DirectX to

OpenGL, and even new releases, I don't see many developers switching the tried and true methods of using DirectX and completely going the opposite direction and using OpenGL

Look at the selection of games available for Mac right now, that's pretty much the amount of selection that's going to be available on any Linux system, highly doubt many AAA titles will be coming at all

It's a novelty idea, but I don't see it being a competitor for desktop PC's in the slightest, and because of the lack of game titles and high price point I can't see it crushing consoles either

Lack of up-gradable hardware is also a negative, but I guess if it's marketed towards casual gamers who don't want a desktop PC, then you have to keep it simple. I imagine this thing gets TOASTY as well, and I guess we're going to be seeing framerates of basically a maximum of 70fps at 1080p

This isn't the Steambox people were hyping up and imagining, and I don't think we'll ever see it. The Steambox everyone wants is just a damn desktop PC

I'm quite sure in an interview with Gabe Newell I read on The Verge he said that it wouldn't be too hard to install Windows on it if you wanted.

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

Yea i'm really glad that valve is trying to move some of the console crowd to the pc side.

Hopefully this will stop the late releases on pc as resault of more audience of the pc platform.

CPU:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Motherboard: Asus maximus iv gene-z - RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II - Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate barracuda 3TB PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU - Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 Pro
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 - Sound: Razer Characias

I don't see the point of it being so small' date=' doesn't that just increase price?[/quote']
The "Piston" is not the Steambox. The Piston is one of Xi3's machines' date=' but it is NOT the Steambox that Valve will be developing/creating. The Piston is most likely an idea that Valve wants to use, but it is nowhere near the size of the real product. The link I attached below has prototype pictures of a "Steambox".[/quote']

Again guys, since this has been brought back up, the Piston is NOT THE STEAMBOX. The Piston is Xi3's machines they have ALREADY built. Valve is creating their own type of Steambox and might use a vendor, like Xi3, to construct a Steambox of their own.

The Piston is NOT the Steambox.

Where are all the hardware components supposed to be ?

And why only the CPU & RAM , the GPU is the most important component in gaming and is the most frequent hardware upgrade.

I have read that it uses an AMD APU, therefore a CPU upgrade will also upgrade the GPU so it would be both parts upgraded in one operation :)