Should I do this when changing fluid?

shhh

I'm curious if it's a bad idea to leave everything but the motherboard plugged in when changing my fluid. What I'm really wondering is if the gpu and cpu will actually draw power from the psu when jumped on the 24-pin. It's really annoying having to unplug and reseat a bunch of crap I don't really have to and I don't own a separate psu.  

Why? I mean you could, but I definitely would take everything else out until the loop is replaced. To prevent reseating everything, just unplug your PC, connect it [PSU] to ground, let it sit for 1 hour to discharge the capacitors, then work from there.

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

31 minutes ago, TheCoder2019 said:

Why? I mean you could, but I definitely would take everything else out until the loop is replaced. To prevent reseating everything, just unplug your PC, connect it [PSU] to ground, let it sit for 1 hour to discharge the capacitors, then work from there.

I'm not sure I follow. I have to have a PSU plugged into the pump with it jumped in order to push the fluid through when its being replaced. My question is that if I leave the other things plugged into the PSU when doing this can that cause damage from heat for instance because they may not have sufficient fluid running over them at a given interval of flushing and intake. Meaning does the CPU or the GPU actually turn on and generate heat even when the 24-pin isn't plugged into the mobo they're additionally plugged into?

@shhhIf you do it fast enough and the thermal past is good you should be fine, just enter bios so there’s basically no load for it to heat up. Also, welcome to the forums!

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

OP I'm confused... is your case arranged in a way that the 24-pin ATX connector is accessible but the 4/8-pin 12v CPU connector and 6/8-pin 12v GPU connectors aren't? Trying to wrap my head around why unplugging those in addition to the 24-pin would take so much time... 

Powerspec 1530 (Clevo PB50DF2) ~ i7 10875H ~ RTX 2070 Super 115W ~ 32GB DDR4 ~ 2x 1TB NVMe ~ 2TB 5400RPM ~ 1080P 240hz matte IPS

Gigabyte G1 GA-970-SLI ~ FX 8320 @ 3.3Ghz, 1212mV ~ 16GB DDR3 ~ Radeon 570 4GB ~ 512GB NVMe ~ 2x 1TB HGST 7200RPM

Xtras ~ Dell 22" 1680x1050 matte IPS monitor ~ Logi M705 mouse ~ PowerA Fusion Pro Xbox One controller ~ Sony XB950N1 headphones ~ Epson V700 film scanner

Streaming Setup ~ OBS Studio with AMF encoding ~ iVCam bridged to LG G6 ~ Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface ~ TONOR condenser cardioid mic

8 minutes ago, Natty Ice said:

OP I'm confused... is your case arranged in a way that the 24-pin ATX connector is accessible but the 4/8-pin 12v CPU connector and 6/8-pin 12v GPU connectors aren't? Trying to wrap my head around why unplugging those in addition to the 24-pin would take so much time... 

Yeah my radiator fans are blocking the CPU connector area and I have a shield over the PSU so it makes it really tedious to unplug. Also, thank you - @TheCoder2019!

10 hours ago, shhh said:

Yeah my radiator fans are blocking the CPU connector area and I have a shield over the PSU so it makes it really tedious to unplug. Also, thank you - @TheCoder2019!

I've definitely burned LED strips doing it the way you describe it, so I would consider definitely worth unplugging everything.

A good investment for you may be an external molex power supply, they're less than 20 euros, and then you can power the pump by itself without needing to unplug anything else.

I would not leave anything plugged in. If you can't reach the EPS connector, just unplug the EPS from the PSU then (in case you have a fully modular PSU). If you jump the PSU by bridging the 24pin every other power cable goes live.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

If im just changing fluid, I dont unplug anything, nor do I jump the psu for the pump. Alot of work for just a fluid swap, I dont even do that on fresh builds. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

If it is a fluid change, there is no need to unplug everything (assuming your initial leaktest was without problems). before draining the old fluid go to BIOS and set up your pump to the max rpm, save your overclocking profile and set your cpu to factory settings. After that drain the fluid. Next fill in the res and power it on. just to be on the safe side keep one hand on the power switch on the psu so your pump does not run dry and the other on del/F2 key so your cpu does not do any work such as booting up your rig. also if you reset (power off) your pc while booting windows more than 10 times it will boot in the safe mode. It is a much easier to use a separate PSU a simple 12 volts 3 AMP power brick cost around 5 $/euro

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop