How concerned should I be?

Bought a second hand 5900x off a guy on facebook marketplace. It was priced at MSRP plus tax, but not suspiciously low or anything. I met the guy at his business, I know who he is, he was not shady, etc. However, to my dismay, 3 of the pins on the bottom left corner of the cpu were bent. It took me 3 or 4 tries to seat it properly. It seems okay so far, I have played a few games of apex, temps are normal, etc. No crashes. How screwed am I? Am I okay?

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

Lol. You're fine. 

Playing games with the cpu is a good thing!

Sometimes the pins bend really easily. I'm sure it happened when no one was looking. 

Glad your rig works, Game On!! 😄

It should be fine.

Linus famously had a broken CPU pin and simlpy threw it inside the socket and the CPU on top. Worked without any problem and I think is still running to this day. He mentioned it a few months ago in a WAN show.

But you should keep in mind for the future that those pins were bend. With every bend they will become structurally weaker and at some point might break.

Why I like LGA a little better.  I've dropped many Intel cpus and just said to myself, "Eh, what's for lunch?"  lol

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Lol. You're fine. 

Playing games with the cpu is a good thing!

Sometimes the pins bend really easily. I'm sure it happened when no one was looking. 

Glad your rig works, Game On!! 😄

A couple updates: I ran 4 or 5 games of Apex and then An hour and a half of AIDS 64 Extreme stability test and it seems okay. Max temp 73 average 69 during the stress test 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

1 hour ago, Doug_Dangger said:

Why I like LGA a little better.  I've dropped many Intel cpus and just said to myself, "Eh, what's for lunch?"  lol

Problem with LGA is the tiny pins on the motherboard. They can bent just by you looking at it wrong.

Queue De8uer killing a $800+ ThreadRipper motherboard on video, when the CPU holder failed, and dropped the CPU onto the socket.

🙃

You could've carefully straighten the pins with a credit card / ruler + mechanical pencil / tweezers.

Then put the CPU into the socket.

Basically pre-straighten the the pins, and then use the socket to further re-align them.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

17 minutes ago, Ryan829 said:

A couple updates: I ran 4 or 5 games of Apex and then An hour and a half of AIDS 64 Extreme stability test and it seems okay. Max temp 73 average 69 during the stress test 

That sounds like outstanding results actually. Good cooling.

yeah as long as the pins are straight'ish when you pop it in you're usually good. I've bent the shit out of a bunch of pins over the years since i always build team red. pins bend sometimes, i use a knife to run through there and straighten it out and never had an issue. now if its crazy far bent and you try to move it back and it breaks off you might be totally screwed depending on how it broke but that's another issue for another day. usually they bend back easily 

1 hour ago, -rascal- said:

Problem with LGA is the tiny pins on the motherboard. They can bent just by you looking at it wrong.

I never bent an LGA socket pins.  Probably because I leave the plastic shield over it until I'm about to drop the cpu in.  🙂