CPU led always on after adding a second GPU

Go to solution Solved by VladVonSaalt,

The motherboard was dead and i don't know why. 
Got a new one and now it works again.

Hello there, 

I've been thinking of adding a second low-performance GPU to my computer that would exclusively be dedicated to nvenc for streaming.
My specs are as follow:  
- MSI x570 MPG GAMING PLUS
- Ryzen 5 3600
- Zotac 1080ti mini
- (PNY 1060 6GB (the GPU I wanted to add))
- 2*16+2x8GB of Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 @ 3000MHz (CL15)
- Corsair CX650M PSU

Now I know 650W sound a bit short but I double checked all max power consumptions and it should've been fine by over 60W, which should've been enough even for the power spikes, and anyway it's a Corsair PSU so there should've been protections against a higher consumption than its rated wattage.

Description of the problem

Upon adding the 1060, plugging everything on and turning the computer on, it never POSTs.
The debug lights are stuck on "CPU". 
Removing the 1060 doesn't change anything, the computer won't boot again. 

What i've tried

- Removing the 1060 → Obviously didn't work
- Unplugging the computer, holding the power button and waiting a minute in case ESDs are still a thing → Nope, still no result
- Resetting the CMOS by shorting the JBAT1 jumper on my mobo → Still nothing

My work depends on that computer (and so does my gaming, but that's just my afternoons), and I would be really glad if any of you had another suggestion before I have to dismantle my computer and check every part individually, which i don't really have time for, and would be a real pain, due to how much time it took me to route everything as cleanly as possible. .

Sincerely, 

Vlad.

34 minutes ago, VladVonSaalt said:

My work depends on that computer (and so does my gaming, but that's just my afternoons), and I would be really glad if any of you had another suggestion before I have to dismantle my computer and check every part individually, which i don't really have time for, and would be a real pain, due to how much time it took me to route everything as cleanly as possible. .

It is possible that the GTX 1060 you've inserted into your system was defective and it has fried a component on your motherboard, but It's more likely that while installing your new GPU you have accidentally messed up a connection, so I would suggest to do the regular troubleshooting steps, like re-seating GPU, removing all but one memory stick, re-seating CPU, check all power connections going to the motherboard, and all power connections from the PSU side since it's semi-modular.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

7 hours ago, .Apex. said:

It is possible that the GTX 1060 you've inserted into your system was defective and it has fried a component on your motherboard, but It's more likely that while installing your new GPU you have accidentally messed up a connection, so I would suggest to do the regular troubleshooting steps, like re-seating GPU, removing all but one memory stick, re-seating CPU, check all power connections going to the motherboard, and all power connections from the PSU side since it's semi-modular.

thing is, I've used this 1060 in a home cinema build and it worked just fine.... hence why i do not understand my computer's behaviour...

but yeah, i'll go through the usual troubleshooting steps.
thanks for your reply!

Right so i've tested the 2600 and the 1060 on a B450 mobo and they work just fine. 
I'm updating the BIOS of that same B450 to validate (or invalidate) the theory of the dead CPU.
We shall see the results in four...
three...
two lines...
one...
it works!

time to check it back on the x570. 

Oh God my 1080ti doesn't output anything anymore
I swear to god if it broke i'm gonna go on a fucking crusade against MSI

and the 3600 isn't recognized anymore by my b450 btw

• 3 weeks later...

The motherboard was dead and i don't know why. 
Got a new one and now it works again.