Anyway to check RAM Chip (Die) Type?

Hello guys, just wanted to know if there's anyway to check what type of Die RAM chips use, BEFORE purchasing and checking with apps like Thaiphoon Burner?

Was looking at this kit for my Ryzen 9 5900X: G.Skill Trident Z Neo DIMM kit 32GB, DDR4-3600, CL18-22-22-42 (F4-3600C18Q-32GTZN).

I believe the chips in this kit are Samsung, just not sure if it's E or B-Die..

You can download Thaiphoon Burner - http://www.softnology.biz/files.html

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 minute ago, DoctorNick said:

You can download Thaiphoon Burner

Hey @DoctorNick you didn't read my post.

I'm asking if there's a way to check BEFORE actually purchasing the RAM. Is there anyway to possibly know?

12 minutes ago, gal-m said:

BEFORE

No, the only way is to find the model number from previous users like in reddit or here.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

According to Asus's QVLs, that memory uses Hynix chips. Given the speed and timings I'd expect it to be CJR - G.Skill tends to use CJR a lot in general.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_STRIX_X470-I_GAMING/ROG_STRIX_B450-I_X470-I_GAMING_MATISSE_Memory_QVL.pdf

edit- just realized it's single rank- in that case, it's probably 16gbit MFR.

4 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

According to Asus's QVLs, that memory uses Hynix chips.

Interesting.. when checking the QVL for the motherboard I purchased (X570 Strix-E) it says Samsung and not Hynix.. Judging by the timings I'd assume Hynix as well, as Samsung's B-Die chips are usually bellow CL16, but the QVL table says otherwise.

I actually wanted to go for G.Skill Trident Z Neo DIMM kit 32GB, DDR4-3600, CL16-16-16-36 (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZN) at first, but that kit almost costs 340EUR, which is roughly equal to $350 in my country and I just can't bring myself to justify spending $100 more on RAM with lower timings (and B-Die chips)..

Considering my machine is going to be pushing a 1440p/1440p ultrawide I don't think CL18 vs CL16 would make a big difference, in the real world at least.

Here @Grabhanem:

image.png.78b49ba5d9f555c2dc158ca5634cd7a0.png

2 minutes ago, gal-m said:

Interesting.. when checking the QVL for the motherboard I purchased (X570 Strix-E) it says Samsung and not Hynix.. Judging by the timings I'd assume Hynix as well, as Samsung's B-Die chips are usually bellow CL16, but the QVL table says otherwise.

I actually wanted to go for G.Skill Trident Z Neo DIMM kit 32GB, DDR4-3600, CL16-16-16-36 (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZN) at first, but that kit almost costs 340EUR, which is roughly equal to $350 in my country and I just can't bring myself to justify spending $100 more on RAM with lower timings (and B-Die chips)..

Considering my machine is going to be pushing a 1440p/1440p ultrawide I don't think CL18 vs CL16 would make a big difference, in the real world at least.

Here @Grabhanem:

image.png.78b49ba5d9f555c2dc158ca5634cd7a0.png

If you're looking for something that can overclock well without spending a fortune, you could look at Micron Rev. E - I believe all of Crucial's 3200mt+ kits use this as well as a lot of Teamgroup kits.

4 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You can use the link above to associate the part number to b-die

Thanks @ShrimpBrime. You know, I've actually tried searching via this website before. The kit in question did not come up, but as mentioned above it's listed as Samsung on my motherboard's QVL. 

However as @Grabhanem mentioned the same kit is listed as SK Hynix in a different QVL. Not sure why this is, but I'm starting to think that this (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_STRIX_X570-E_GAMING/Memory_QVL_for_AMD_Ryzen_5000_Series_Processors_X570.pdf) QVL has a mistake.

17 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

just realized it's single rank- in that case, it's probably 16gbit MFR

Yep. 4X8GB @Grabhanem. Wanted to have 4 ranks in total + I just think it looks nicer with all the slots populated haha!

I don't have any experience with MFR. Is it at least decent?

To be fair, as long as it's going to be able to run stable @3600MHz with my 5900X on a ROG Strix X570-E motherboard I'm not complaining.

RAM here (in Slovenia) has gotten EXTREMELY expensive.. Pretty much every 32GB kit of 3600MHz RAM is above 200EUR here 😞.. 

1 hour ago, gal-m said:

Thanks @ShrimpBrime. You know, I've actually tried searching via this website before. The kit in question did not come up, but as mentioned above it's listed as Samsung on my motherboard's QVL. 

However as @Grabhanem mentioned the same kit is listed as SK Hynix in a different QVL. Not sure why this is, but I'm starting to think that this (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_STRIX_X570-E_GAMING/Memory_QVL_for_AMD_Ryzen_5000_Series_Processors_X570.pdf) QVL has a mistake.

Samsung makes more than one die type. Just because it's samsung, doesn't mean it's B-die it.

That list was for you to search for a B-Die kit that would fit your budget. 

15 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Samsung makes more than one die type. Just because it's samsung, doesn't mean it's B-die it.

That list was for you to search for a B-Die kit that would fit your budget.

I know and, I know. Just trying to get my money's worth.

21 minutes ago, gal-m said:

I know and, I know. Just trying to get my money's worth.

And why I dropped the list there. To help you.

Bang for buck, you want the B-Die modules.

2nd choice would be the E-Die microns.

2 hours ago, gal-m said:

There are kits that use various memory chips - basically whatever they got at the moment.  If a manufacturer does not specifically names a specific memory chip they can change whenever they please.

The more extreme memory timings are most likely high quality.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

18 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

The more extreme memory timings are most likely high quality

Definitely @bowrilla. I think I've also fallen prey to people who are spec-chasing and not actually looking for real world performance.

From what I know, CL18 vs. 16 really doesn't make any difference at higher resolutions or when RAM isn't your limiting/bottlenecking factor.

@ShrimpBrime the main reason I'm worried about what kind of choice to make is because I'm a simmer and would like to play Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. And from what I've seen, RAM speed and timings actually do make a significant difference in this particular game. We're not talking about a difference between 210 and 215 FPS, but rather a difference between 55 and 65 FPS, which is actually quite noticeable.

9 minutes ago, gal-m said:

Definitely @bowrilla. I think I've also fallen prey to people who are spec-chasing and not actually looking for real world performance.

From what I know, CL18 vs. 16 really doesn't make any difference at higher resolutions or when RAM isn't your limiting/bottlenecking factor.

@ShrimpBrime the main reason I'm worried about what kind of choice to make is because I'm a simmer and would like to play Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. And from what I've seen, RAM speed and timings actually do make a significant difference in this particular game. We're not talking about a difference between 210 and 215 FPS, but rather a difference between 55 and 65 FPS, which is actually quite noticeable.

The point of getting B-Die is to maximize the performance gains with tweaking and overclocking.

I think a good start with a good kit of B-Die would be CL12 13 or 14 at 3200mhz for example. This would be much more responsive over a 3200mhz CL18.

But I digress here. I think you're looking for a confirmation..... OK, just get what ever you want, set XMP and go. But just buy 3200mhz instead of 3600mhz IMO since the difference with just set it and forget it is smaller than taking the time to actually maximize your performance.

7 hours ago, gal-m said:

@DoctorNick @SupaKomputa is this normal...?

image.png.ea489408fa97e9b51e47c6ee21d83857.png

yes

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price.