1Gbps coming to UK?

LePawel

So, few days ago I have received an interesting letter from a company I have never heard of before...

Still, looks like it may be the kick UK needs to move its ass with rolling out fibre to places like 5 minutes away from city center... or at least telling Google world exists outside of US :)

What do you think?

post-10913-0-51242300-1395443084_thumb.j

Most of the UK (98% according to reports) are getting Fibre or something like it by 2016 at the latest so they are actually doing something about it.

I won't be getting it any time soon in my area. We don't even have Virgin Media internet so the best we can get is 70mbps down BT

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

I won't be getting it any time soon in my area. We don't even have Virgin Media internet so the best we can get is 70mbps down BT

Get 68 down with plusnet and hen have them lower it to 30.

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

well, im moving to liverpool :P

Main: AMD Athlon X4 750K| Coolermaster Hyper TX3 EVO | Gigabyte GA-F2A75M-HD2 | 8GB Kingston 1333mhz | WD Caviar Green 1tb | Coolermaster N200 | OCZ coreXstream 500w | Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB | |Kingston 3k ssd 128gb |

You guy always get the fun stuff.

Signatures are stupid.

im only 50mb/s at the moment... i can go up to 150mb/s but itl cost allot more :| 1gbs isnt worth it... unless you are running a server.

Character artist in the Games industry.

I've made a comphrehensive rundown of the current UK broadband status/future plans here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/122335-uk-superfast-rural-broadband-progression-news-roundup-march-2014/#entry1636966

*shameless plug*

but in all seriousness, it's great news, but just a bit iffy about the company, never heard of them before.

well, im moving to liverpool :P

eemm.... I'd stay wherever you are and wait it comes to your town ;P

Meanwhile in the US:

5MBS is coming your way!

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Corsair H100i Pro | ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 | Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2x16gb @ 3200mhz  | Vega 64 @ Stock | Fractal Design Define R4 | Corsair RM750

ThinkPad T480 | Intel Core i7 8650u | Nvidia MX150 | 32GB DDR4 @ 2400mhz | Samsung 840 Pro 1tb | 1080p touchscreen

I thought it said hypocrite when I skimmed over the letter title. xD Starting at 25 euros pounds is not bad imo.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

eemm.... I'd stay wherever you are and wait it comes to your town ;P

I need it, NOW!! NOW I TELL YOU :lol:

Main: AMD Athlon X4 750K| Coolermaster Hyper TX3 EVO | Gigabyte GA-F2A75M-HD2 | 8GB Kingston 1333mhz | WD Caviar Green 1tb | Coolermaster N200 | OCZ coreXstream 500w | Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB | |Kingston 3k ssd 128gb |

I need it, NOW!! NOW I TELL YOU :lol:

"you relly don neeed da internet laad, I bet you don evyn nid dat speed likhe. You rich cheeky dickheads always go for all them expensive stuff likhe, just fukhin e-peen laad likhe im tellin yuh."

"you relly don neeed da internet laad, I bet you don evyn nid dat speed likhe. You rich cheeky dickheads always go for all them expensive stuff likhe, just fukhin e-peen laad likhe im tellin yuh."

That was actually the best impression i have heard...  :o

I thought it said hypocrite when I skimmed over the letter title. xD Starting at 25 euros is not bad imo.

*£25. 25 pounds. Not euros.

*£25. 25 pounds. Not euros.

Thanks for the correction. Not that good with currencies. :/

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Live on less than 2MB/s...

Though my University already has gigabit ;)

"if by "bass" you mean wet farts then yes, those are the razer crapkens"

Meanwhile in the US:

5MBS is coming your way!

It's not quite that bad..

Most of the U.S. has pretty decent internet. It's just shady throttling (even more prevalent after the net neutrality agreement was done with) and outlandish pricing for not-so-reliable internet in many cases and at the least just a terrible "deal".

I blame packages and term contracts for it mostly, but infrastructure is also a problem.

You can already get 1gbps if youre willing to pay for it. Virgin media will do anything up to 400gbps. Im sure there are many, many smaller telecoms companies that will also do fast connections.

Hyperoptic is currently only in a few estates/streets in central London. What part of Liverpool are they going to?

damnit im in the wirral, go on google maps and you will see how close that is!!!!!  :o

Comb it with a brick

EVERYONE keeps forgetting that even if you have the fastest internet in the WORLD you still won't get what you pay for because your phone/pc can'r write at that speeds or the server you are connected just don't even allow a user to get a speed like that
seriously that speed is useless most of the time

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

EVERYONE keeps forgetting that even if you have the fastest internet in the WORLD you still won't get what you pay for because your phone/pc can'r write at that speeds or the server you are connected just don't even allow a user to get a speed like that

seriously that speed is useless most of the time

Are those write speeds not measured in bytes? Maybe you are thinking of 10-Gigabit?

Either way, its good to have some sort of future planing in place, there's no point in limiting it to the write speeds of storage now when the new infrastructure allows for more... it would mean laying down more cables which is why we are in this mess in the first place.

I'm actually happy with 120Mb/s down, but my up speeds are dismal so this will obviously help with that.