repeating wifi over a distance with coaxial?

soraxd

Hello, I want to send my wifi from my house to my barn, there is an existing coaxial cable running from the house to the barn currently. 

i assume I would connect the coaxial cable to the internet OUT on my router in my house, and have some second device take the coaxial IN and create wifi. 

I'm not sure what the best way to do this would be. 

I've seen standalone coaxial antenna, routers with coaxial IN, and network kits that are giant things that turn coaxial to ethernet. I'm not sure what the best route is despite my googling. 

thanks for any help you give! 

9 minutes ago, soraxd said:

Hello, I want to send my wifi from my house to my barn, there is an existing coaxial cable running from the house to the barn currently. 

i assume I would connect the coaxial cable to the internet OUT on my router in my house, and have some second device take the coaxial IN and create wifi. 

I've seen standalone coaxial antenna, routers with coaxial IN, and network kits that are giant things that turn coaxial to ethernet. I'm not sure what the best route is despite my googling. 

Just do a wireless link with grid antennas

2 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

Just do a wireless link with grid antennas

thanks for the quick reply!

so i just Google what these are, I'm seeing mostly satellite dishes, pretty wild. if i want something a little less intense, what specifically should I be amazon searching? 

Just now, soraxd said:

so i just Google what these are, I'm seeing mostly satellite dishes, pretty wild. if i want something a little less intense, what specifically should I be amazon searching? 

Do you have line of sight? Look at something like the unifi nanobean.

But id just do moca over coax, don't do wireless if you don't have to.

5 minutes ago, soraxd said:

https://mikrotik.com/product/lhg_xl_2

This is what you need you can get it in 2.4 and 5ghz frequency

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

so if i bought this, I would need this and another router to actually send out the wifi right? 

and the range isn't very long, the coaxial is going about 10 feet (30 ish meters). 

and the range the wifi needs to cover is roughly the size of a small house. 

Just now, soraxd said:

so if i bought this, I would need this and another router to actually send out the wifi right? 

and the range isn't very long, the coaxial is going about 10 feet (30 ish meters). 

Yea you would need anouther access point. You would need that with the point to point wireless also.

Id just get a cheap consumer router, or something like a unifi ap ac lite.

23 minutes ago, soraxd said:

If you need something smaller since the distance is not that long get 2 of these :

https://mikrotik.com/product/sxtsq_lite2

38 minutes ago, soraxd said:

All of these here like help you do what your want:

https://mikrotik.com/products/group/wireless-systems