Hybrid PSU fan always spinning?

MattyPeo

I bought the NZXT C750 a few months ago and it very rarely turns the fan off and goes silent, I know it works because sometimes it does, just very rarely. I have a ryzen 5 3600 and I have even tried underclocking and undervolting it in order to decrease my power draw in hopes of the psu going into hybrid mode but it still rarely ever does. I have a GTX 1660 with a zero rpm fan on it and that consumes very little power at idle and I have gotten my 3600 to only consume about 4W at idle. Why won't my power supple turn its fan off at idle? 

Hows your airflow?

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

Just now, 1ppOverheat said:

Hows your airflow?

It's very good, I have a phanteks p400a with all of 6 fan slots populated and the psu has its own filter and a lot of room to breathe.

2 minutes ago, MattyPeo said:

It's very good, I have a phanteks p400a with all of 6 fan slots populated and the psu has its own filter and a lot of room to breathe.

Damn alright.. When does the fan rarely turn off?

Just now, 1ppOverheat said:

Damn alright.. When does the fan rarely turn off?

When I'm at idle sometimes, more often than not it stays on it just has a mind of its own aha 

Just now, MattyPeo said:

When I'm at idle sometimes, more often than not it stays on it just has a mind of its own aha 

the psu fan will turn on when the psu is too hot or its under a big load

3 minutes ago, MattyPeo said:

Thats very strange and I get why you're so frustrated about it. Maybe its just running at very low RPM and they just called it Hybrid? But you said that it does sometimes turn off so that can't be it. How did you tell that the fan on the PSU is not spinning?

16 minutes ago, 1ppOverheat said:

Thats very strange and I get why you're so frustrated about it. Maybe its just running at very low RPM and they just called it Hybrid? But you said that it does sometimes turn off so that can't be it. How did you tell that the fan on the PSU is not spinning?

When the psu fan stops spinning it goes dead silent and I cannot hear my pc at all 

2 minutes ago, MattyPeo said:

When the psu fan stops spinning it goes dead silent and I cannot hear my pc at all 

Oh alright got u. You might want to check that visually to confirm it though since this is pretty hard to determine just by hearing.

27 minutes ago, MattyPeo said:

Have you checked if you have enabled the semi passive mode using the switch at the back of the PSU. If you wanted a really quiet PSU, you should probably have gotten a different one, though.

:)