Possible CPU Bottleneck? I don’t understand what else it could be.

Bic Lighter

I barely get above 60 FPS on Cold War on low-medium settings, what’s up with this? Hey to everyone who clicked on this topic, for the last month I have been using an i5 9600k that I received for Christmas (BRAND NEW). I built my own rig, it consists of: MSI z390-a pro motherboard, Gigabyte 1060 6gb, G-skill aegis 16gb 2133 ram, Corsair 850w gold, generic $35 coolermaster heatsink, and a wd_black sn750 500gb nvme drive. My BIOS has the newest version and firmware, I don’t have a bunch of programs running in the background, and I always make sure when I’m gaming that I have only discord open to talk to my friends. 

My computer ran pretty good with my previous cpu, which was a 9th gen i3, but I never really played triple A brand new titles.  Then I received my 9600k, bought cold war, and I can see from the bat it ran like shit, so I lowered my setting until I was barely getting 70 FPS which at that point almost every setting was off or at low-medium. So I ran userbenchmark with 0 programs running or in the background, and my rig was in the 27th percentile of rigs with my EXACT SPECS. I need tips and advice guys, my cpu is always screwing my gaming experience over. I know a very good bit about building along with troubleshooting, but maybe I’m just missing something here? 

it's the 1060 that's holding you back, it's not a great card. 

what res are you playing at?

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

1 hour ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

it's the 1060 that's holding you back, it's not a great card. 

what res are you playing at?

Thanks for the response, I’m playing on 1920x1080 at 1080p. It’s strange that it’s the gpu because I’m always at around 50% gpu usage and 100% cpu. I’m lookin to buy a 3060 or a 3070 when the stock is stable 

Just now, Bic Lighter said:

I’m playing on 1920x1080 at 1080p. It’s strange that it’s the gpu because I’m always at around 50% gpu usage and 100% cpu 

what settings? 

i forgot warzone is insanely CPU intensive, but in just about anything else you'll be limited by your gpu. 

AMD blackout rig

4 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

what settings? 

i forgot warzone is insanely CPU intensive, but in just about anything else you'll be limited by your gpu. 

Textures -medium

Models- low 

Special effects- low 

everything else low or disabled. 

on multiplayer I get an average of 75 FPS but zombies I get an average of 55 

It’s weird that on doom eternal I get 100+ FPS on high settings and my gpu still isn’t working as hard as it could be on doom. The only time I’ve ever seen my gpu maxed was on gta 5 on high settings 

3 minutes ago, Bic Lighter said:

It’s weird that on doom eternal I get 100+ FPS on high settings and my gpu still isn’t working as hard as it could be on doom. The only time I’ve ever seen my gpu maxed was on gta 5 on high settings 

that's because doom eternal is a fairly light weight game, do you have exact gpu/cpu percentages?

also go and double check that windows is set to performance in power settings. 

AMD blackout rig

Just now, Letgomyleghoe said:

that's because doom eternal is a fairly light weight game, do you have exact gpu/cpu percentages?

also go and double check that windows is set to performance in power settings. 

I will get you exact percentages when I get home, I don’t believe that windows is set to performance, would that increase my performance? 

1 minute ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

He said the usages

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

2 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

He said the usages

The only game I know the usages off of the top of my head is Cold War, where my gpu is always sub 50% and cpu is always pushing at max. And it’s slightly over clocked 

1 minute ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

He said the usages

yeah percentage as in usage percentages. 

1 minute ago, Bic Lighter said:

I will get you exact percentages when I get home, I don’t believe that windows is set to performance, would that increase my performance? 

it might be your issue, windows throttles your hardware if you don't have it set to performance.

AMD blackout rig

2 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

yeah percentage as in usage percentages. 

it might be your issue, windows throttles your hardware if you don't have it set to performance.

Geez that’s annoying. Hopefully that’s the problem but I’m assuming not. Also I do remember in my nvidia settings I put my power setting to max performance, idk if that matters though 

Just now, Bic Lighter said:

The only game I know the usages off of the top of my head is Cold War, where my gpu is always sub 50% and cpu is always pushing at max 

then it's CPU bound and no mistake

16 minutes ago, Bic Lighter said:

I’m lookin to buy a 3060 or a 3070 when the stock is stable

That will be some time away at the moment

16 minutes ago, Bic Lighter said:

I’m playing on 1920x1080 at 1080p

The only thing I can suggest not having the game myself (more of an infinity ward man) is INCREASE your quality settings, like say, res scale/AA until your graphics usage is around 80% in the menu.  That'll put more stress towards the GPU.  Then reduce model complexity/LOD to ease the CPU

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

1 minute ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

then it's CPU bound and no mistake

That will be some time away at the moment

The only thing I can suggest not having the game myself (more of an infinity ward man) is INCREASE your quality settings, like say, res scale/AA until your graphics usage is around 80% in the menu.  That'll put more stress towards the GPU.  Then reduce model complexity/LOD to ease the CPU

I was actually seeing what to do when you’re cpu bound and I heard putting more stress on the gpu can ease some pain on the cpu. Also yeah I’m not digging this Cold War garbage man, don’t even get me started on the skill based match-making 😂

1 minute ago, Bic Lighter said:

I was actually seeing what to do when you’re cpu bound and I heard putting more stress on the gpu can ease some pain on the cpu. Also yeah I’m not digging this Cold War garbage man, don’t even get me started on the skill based match-making 😂

I didn't bother.  I played the multiplayer when it was free and zombies when that was free.  Didn't think it was worth the 50 quid

Just now, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

I didn't bother.  I played the multiplayer when it was free and zombies when that was free.  Didn't think it was worth the 50 quid

Yeah the multiplayer is almost unplayable, zombies is pretty fun unless you’re getting sub 60 FPS like me 😐. Thanks for the advice though man. 

I had 7700k and 10700k running warzone, its only cpu intensive while having 100+ frames

1060 is decent but not great, though sub 60fps is abnormal. The GPU usage in windows is often inaccurate you might wanna check it in GPUz while gaming

check your warzone settings too some settings are crazy GPU intensive

13 hours ago, L1- said:

I had 7700k and 10700k running warzone, its only cpu intensive while having 100+ frames

1060 is decent but not great, though sub 60fps is abnormal. The GPU usage in windows is often inaccurate you might wanna check it in GPUz while gaming

check your warzone settings too some settings are crazy GPU intensive

Bro honestly on war zone I got around 80 frames on medium to high with my old i3 9th gen. But the sub 60 FPS I’m talking about is on black ops Cold War zombies. For some reason as the game progresses, my frames go lower and lower. When I start the game I’m around 70 FPS and at round 15 I’m averaging 50 FPS 

4 hours ago, Bic Lighter said:

Bro honestly on war zone I got around 80 frames on medium to high with my old i3 9th gen. But the sub 60 FPS I’m talking about is on black ops Cold War zombies. For some reason as the game progresses, my frames go lower and lower. When I start the game I’m around 70 FPS and at round 15 I’m averaging 50 FPS 

at this point I recommend check your HIGHEST gpu temp after playing games for couple hours.

Hot air might be trapped inside your case, thus high temp forced gpu to downclock