Ryzen or Intel CPU's

Go to solution Solved by RainStriderX1,
1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Then they're effectively identical in gaming, with the Ryzen being better in multicore performance in general, and having AM4-platform benefits like better upgrade path, PCIE 4.0 and overclocking support. As of right now, I suspect the 10400 may be a fair bit cheaper, so it may be a better bang for the buck.

Watch this video, should explain everything to you:

Ok thank you for helping me 馃檪

With building a gaming PC im really confused with what CPU company to choose. I know that Ryzen has multi-core and the like which is better for multiple聽tasks but Intel is good for main gaming. Saying that i don't understand why so many gaming PC builds recommend Ryzen CPU's for just gaming as its for "multiple tasks" when i just want it to singular to play games. One more thing why are Ryzen CPU'S聽more expensive聽sometimes when they provide a lower quality gaming then a similar Intel CPU.

Any help would be useful thanks.聽聽聽聽

Depends on the Ryzen CPU. Ryzen 5000 series CPUs actually deliver better gaming performance than current Intel's offerings.

Pricing may be weird, as Ryzen chips are manufactured on a 7nm TSMC process which is in a worldwide shortage right now. What particular CPUs are you looking at and what are the prices in your area? Without that information we cannot say which would be a better value pick.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

The problem is getting a new ryzen chip without paying a scalper for it. I was looking to do a new build and ended up getting a i9 10850k. BB price matched amazon at $429 then let me use my 10% off birthday coupon on it. $386 before tax was good enough for me to buy it

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme聽

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x聽

Be quiet 500dx聽

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Right now, I would say the 10600k is the best 'bang for the buck' CPU for mid聽range builds. You can find it for around $220 and you get performance almost the same as the 5600x, a $300 CPU. That is, a聽$300 CPU聽if you can find it in stock AND for MSRP.

It used to be that Ryzen was the best bang for the buck, seeing as you usually got more cores for the same price, and productivity was a lot better than Intel, but you had worse gaming performance. It's kind of the opposite now, except AMD are the best in everything and their price premiums are a result of that.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything.聽

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent聽airflow for a non-mesh聽front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

16 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Depends on the Ryzen CPU. Ryzen 5000 series CPUs actually deliver better gaming performance than current Intel's offerings.

Pricing may be weird, as Ryzen chips are manufactured on a 7nm TSMC process which is in a worldwide shortage right now. What particular CPUs are you looking at and what are the prices in your area? Without that information we cannot say which would be a better value pick.

i was looking at for Ryzen AMD Ryzen 5 3600 and i was comparing it to a intel core i5-10400. (p.s i dont know if this helps but this is for a RTX 3060 ti)

4 minutes ago, RainStriderX1 said:

i was looking at for Ryzen AMD Ryzen 5 3600 and i was comparing it to a intel core i5-10400. (p.s i dont know if this helps but this is for a RTX 3060 ti)

Then they're effectively identical in gaming, with the Ryzen being better in multicore performance in general, and having AM4-platform benefits like better upgrade path, PCIE 4.0 and overclocking support. As of right now, I suspect the 10400 may be a fair bit cheaper, so it may be a better bang for the buck.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Ok thank you for helping me 馃檪

5 hours ago, tishous said:

Right now, I would say the 10600k is the best 'bang for the buck' CPU for mid聽range builds. You can find it for around $220 and you get performance almost the same as the 5600x, a $300 CPU. That is, a聽$300 CPU聽if you can find it in stock AND for MSRP.

It used to be that Ryzen was the best bang for the buck, seeing as you usually got more cores for the same price, and productivity was a lot better than Intel, but you had worse gaming performance. It's kind of the opposite now, except AMD are the best in everything and their price premiums are a result of that.

I鈥檝e been on intel while everyone else has since e6600 in 2006 and don鈥檛 really have a preference as to AMD/intel as lng as performance is good.聽

While i think you鈥檙e right looking at the cpu price, intel are dicks for changing platform where AMD give am4 a longer life cycle meaning there are loads of cheap am4 boards for newer cpus.聽
I think it鈥檚 worth going for 10600k over 5600x as long as you can get a board that allows an all core turbo to 4.8ghz as standard 4.1ghz leaves a lot on the table.聽

As far as I鈥檓 aware all core turbo requires a z series board so I don鈥檛 think you can do that on b460 as standard? So actually cheaper to go b450 5600x?

10 hours ago, crazyfrog said:

I鈥檝e been on intel while everyone else has since e6600 in 2006 and don鈥檛 really have a preference as to AMD/intel as lng as performance is good.聽

While i think you鈥檙e right looking at the cpu price, intel are dicks for changing platform where AMD give am4 a longer life cycle meaning there are loads of cheap am4 boards for newer cpus.聽
I think it鈥檚 worth going for 10600k over 5600x as long as you can get a board that allows an all core turbo to 4.8ghz as standard 4.1ghz leaves a lot on the table.聽

As far as I鈥檓 aware all core turbo requires a z series board so I don鈥檛 think you can do that on b460 as standard? So actually cheaper to go b450 5600x?

You're right. The upgradibility factor is a whole other thing that could sway you to AMD. However, seeing as this Ryzen generation is probably the last on AM4, I think if you're putting together a new PC right now, then it shouldn't be a factor. I personally would wait for AM5 and DDR5, but that's because I already have a pretty good system, some do not.

AMD aren't angels seeing as how in the past 4 months:聽

1) They were only going to make Zen 3 compatible with 500 series motherboards. To which they backtracked and are expanding support to B450 and X470

2) SAM (Resizable Bar) support was only if you had a Zen 3 CPU with a 500 series motherboards聽and a 6000 series Radeon. To which they backtracked and are expanding support to Intel and Nvidia.

3) A massive $50 price hike over last gen's prices because they are finally the best and are becoming greedy.

You can hit max boost on B460 boards, you just can't really overclock.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything.聽

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent聽airflow for a non-mesh聽front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

AM4 > LGA 1151, 1200 or whatever Shintel produces. If you want features and performance, choose AMD. Otherwise get the cheapest option.

I am fed up with Intel as a PC user during my whole life. CPUs and chipsets limitations, hardware and software exploits, inadequate prices, power hunger and free room heater.

I won't touch CPUs from the blue team ever until they release Sandy Bridge 2.0.