120/140mm "AIO"

WhitetailAni
1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

How about.... Trooper SE | Cooler Master
If you can still get them. I just gave mine to a brother in law lol.

Eh.

I'll stick with my case.

I like the occasional challenge anyway.

I'm always so curious why people like to argue something even after I've made clear that it's not an option.

elephants

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

Eh.

I'll stick with my case.

I like the occasional challenge anyway.

I'm always so curious why people like to argue something even after I've made clear that it's not an option.

I'm not arguing, just presenting a different perspective. The problem is going to be that as long as you use that case your options are going to be several limited to the point it will constrain the hardware you can use. 

I have a 5900x and it can put out some series heat when running all cores. I have seen mine pulling around 240+ watts on heavily multithreaded tasks. A quick glance on line shows that the 5800x is hitting 220+ watts at full load too.

So if you need to go with a 120 or 140mm AIO like an h80i (if it will fit) then you will also need to undervolt your cpu (which you should anyways on these chips for best performance), but also disable pbo wattage boost to try to keep temps down or maybe set the undervolt curve and disable pbo altogether to get the wattage down to a manageable level.

Sure a 120 or 140mm rad can cool a 240w load, but the delta needed to do so is like 25-30c which is pretty much heat soaked. So that means the temperature of the water vs ambient has to be HUGE for it to finally be able to stop rising temps.

9 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I'm not arguing, just presenting a different perspective. The problem is going to be that as long as you use that case your options are going to be several limited to the point it will constrain the hardware you can use. 

I have a 5900x and it can put out some series heat when running all cores. I have seen mine pulling around 240+ watts on heavily multithreaded tasks. A quick glance on line shows that the 5800x is hitting 220+ watts at full load too.

So if you need to go with a 120 or 140mm AIO like an h80i (if it will fit) then you will also need to undervolt your cpu (which you should anyways on these chips for best performance), but also disable pbo wattage boost to try to keep temps down or maybe set the undervolt curve and disable pbo altogether to get the wattage down to a manageable level.

Sure a 120 or 140mm rad can cool a 240w load, but the delta needed to do so is like 25-30c which is pretty much heat soaked. So that means the temperature of the water vs ambient has to be HUGE for it to finally be able to stop rising temps.

I get that.

I don't think I'll ever get a 5900X (unless I end up with a ton of money that I don't know what to do with), but in case I do, I have a plan.

elephants