Can't find a Cheap Gigabit Coaxial Modem that IS NOT a Router Combo

1 minute ago, Exidor said:

Is that basically a copper TV cable?

Or am I missing something?

Have not seen those in years either. Was never popular here.

It's the same wire for tv. So I need to have tv cables to translate the signal to ethernet, then transfer the ethernet to a router.

Just now, ProjectBox153 said:

Yep. I just use a modem/router combo in bridge mode. I forget that it even has a router built in. 

Man I remember the 90s and the horror of splitters and weak signal for analogue cable TV.

Last thing I would want for my internet. Those boxes they put in walls are so crap usually the signal ends up dropping out half of the time.

2 minutes ago, BadGuyNick said:

It's the same wire for tv. So I need to have tv cables to translate the signal to ethernet, then transfer the ethernet to a router.

O yea I get it I mean I have seen coaxial modems....

Just not in the last 5 years? And even then only in really old installations.......

I am sorry man I just read your post and automatically assumed it is fiber.....

You know the old brain sometimes just jumps to conclusions while not paying attention.

Still I would go to a local shop that sells hardware and does installs. They usually know what works with one or another ISP.....

1 minute ago, BadGuyNick said:

THen for a gigabit plan you want something like a cm1200 or sb8200. There not cheap, but you need a pretty high ned modem for a gig plan.

25 minutes ago, Exidor said:

You Americans have very strange internet......

From what I have read there is a European Docsis standard as well. So its not just us. The only reason you all have Fiber viable over there is because some of your countries are only as big as one of our states. The US is very big and 20% of people live in rural areas, where Fiber is not profitable. 

22 minutes ago, BadGuyNick said:

I was turning in some cable boxes that I no longer use to save money, first thing they did was try to sell me a phone, then tell me that I need a special optimum modem for gigabit that would cost around $200 plus monthly maintenance fees of $10 a month. I was like na, I'll just do it myself lol

The special modem is a Docsis 3.1 modem. They are not cheap. My sister and brother and law just spent $200 on a SB8200. You are going to spend at least $150 or more on a Docsis 3.1 modem, thats just how it is. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

From what I have read there is a European Docsis standard as well. So its not just us. The only reason you all have Fiber viable over there is because some of your countries are only as big as one of our states. The US is very big and 20% of people live in rural areas, where Fiber is not profitable. 

The special modem is a Docsis 3.1 modem. They are not cheap. My sister and brother and law just spent $200 on a SB8200. You are going to spend at least $150 or more on a Docsis 3.1 modem, thats just how it is. 

Yea I am aware of the geography of the USA.

Also aware of all your funny laws subsidies and monopolies 😄 Here in Europe even in the smallest countries we tend to have several competing ISPs 😄

But I get you I mean no offense.

Sad we all cant have South Korean internet 😄

14 hours ago, Exidor said:

Man I remember the 90s and the horror of splitters and weak signal for analogue cable TV.

Last thing I would want for my internet. Those boxes they put in walls are so crap usually the signal ends up dropping out half of the time.

They have weak signal usually from people adding wrong spec splitters to hook up extra tv's. Done properly, coax is fine. 

58 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

They have weak signal usually from people adding wrong spec splitters to hook up extra tv's. Done properly, coax is fine. 

That and people used to use splitters as cable extenders. Each splitter has loss, but no one knew better. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Unfortunately, you will be hard pressed to find any cable modems for less than the $150-200 range that are capable of gigspeed (unless you buy a refurbished unit, or find a used one for sale), and I would check with your ISP first to find out what modems (aside from their own rental units) are compatible with their system. Most out there are certified for Cox, Spectrum, and xFinity, and while it is possible that they will work with your ISP, there is no guarantee. 

I personally have a Netgear CM1000.. I've seem refurbished Netgear CM1100's for sale on for $129, but again, I would check with your ISP before committing to a purchase. 

A PC Enthusiast/Gamer since 1994
Network Infrastructure Technician since 1998
AMD Ryzen 5 3600x @ 4GHz | nVidia RTX 2080ti Founders Edition - Core @ 1350MHz/1840MHz (Boost), Memory @ 7000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1491cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 8909