Ryzen 5900x stuck at 4.2 GHz

TwistedTale

Hello there, 

I just recently upgraded to a Ryzen 5900x and a x570 board. Without any change to the BIOS, the CPU ran at 4.2 GHz. However, no matter what I did after, the top clock speed was always stuck at 4.2 GHz.

I tried PSO and Ryzen master and absolutely nothing happens. 

My spec:

5900x

EVGA 1080 FTW

Asus TUF x570 plus with the most recent BIOS

4 x 6gb 3200Mhz TridentZ

H80i (the temp peaked around 60 at 100% load at 4.2Ghz)

Hello, I have a few questions?

A. What is your Power Supply

B. Have you installed the Ryzen Balanced Power plan, if not https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/chipset-install

C. The H80i really is not up to the task of running a 5900x a crazy high clock speeds, Ryzen's frequency scales with temperature right out of the box like a GPU does. So a cooler CPU will naturally clock higher, and that H80i is likely having some water permeation considering its age (unless it is the V2 version and new). 60 is pretty low temps on Ryzen and it should clocking higher. 

D. Try enabling Precision Boot Overdrive, then run a benchmark like cinebench 10 times and record the temperature once the AIO has reached heat saturation. PBO will auto overclock the CPU, so it may clock up higher, and definitely hotter, other than that maybe you just lost the silicon lottery.

4 minutes ago, IAMABOSS said:

Hello, I have a few questions?

A. What is your Power Supply

B. Have you installed the Ryzen Balanced Power plan, if not https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/chipset-install

C. The H80i really is not up to the task of running a 5900x a crazy high clock speeds, Ryzen's frequency scales with temperature right out of the box like a GPU does. So a cooler CPU will naturally clock higher, and that H80i is likely having some water permeation considering its age (unless it is the V2 version and new). 60 is pretty low temps on Ryzen and it should clocking higher. 

D. Try enabling Precision Boot Overdrive, then run a benchmark like cinebench 10 times and record the temperature once the AIO has reached heat saturation. PBO will auto overclock the CPU, so it may clock up higher, and definitely hotter, other than that maybe you just lost the silicon lottery.

A. its a Seasonic Gold GX850

B. It is

C. I know that H80i really isn't optimal for a 5900x, however its maxing out at around 60 so I think it should be able to go higher

D. PSO is already enabled

Just now, TwistedTale said:

A. its a Seasonic Gold GX850

B. Probably not

C. I know that H80i really isn't optimal for a 5900x, however its maxing out at around 60 so I think it should be able to go higher

D. PSO is already enabled

Ok go install Ryzen Balanced Power Plan ASAP, that is probably your problem. Ryzen on windows needs certain optimizations from the power plan otherwise the CPU will be limited in performance. Other than that I have no idea what could be causing this issue. 

4 minutes ago, IAMABOSS said:

Ok go install Ryzen Balanced Power Plan ASAP, that is probably your problem. Ryzen on windows needs certain optimizations from the power plan otherwise the CPU will be limited in performance. Other than that I have no idea what could be causing this issue. 

I just made sure that its in fact installed, I already ran a bunch of cinebench for long period before and the temp tops around 60ish when the clock speed at 4.2. Also, is it normal the hardwareinfo report 1600mhz ram when windows shows 3200mhz (I have it set to 3200 in the BIOS)image.thumb.png.87479465b27db686e938f124b32b6f34.png

I also realized that under load the CPU is only at 1.087V and seem to be capped, is there any setting in BIOS that govern this

11 minutes ago, TwistedTale said:

I just made sure that its in fact installed, I already ran a bunch of cinebench for long period before and the temp tops around 60ish when the clock speed at 4.2. Also, is it normal the hardwareinfo report 1600mhz ram when windows shows 3200mhz (I have it set to 3200 in the BIOS)

DDR(4) is Double Data Rate, so 1600 X2 = 3200, so yes your ram is fine. I really do not know what could be causing this, try increasing the power limits in Ryzen master. You can increase the voltage in Ryzen master under auto OC or Manual OC modes. Also increase the Numbers at the top. (PPT, TDC, EDC) There are lots of guides on how to do this on Youtube/Google.

This is what Ryzen Balanced Power plan looks like just for reference, under additional power settings. The slider on Power & Sleep should be maxed to performance. 

image.thumb.png.81ac21ff6b4c50c892977c8f7b8cddae.png

I am starting to think that this issues I something else and beyond my realm of knowledge. 

10 minutes ago, IAMABOSS said:

DDR(4) is Double Data Rate, so 1600 X2 = 3200, so yes your ram is fine. I really do not know what could be causing this, try increasing the power limits in Ryzen master. You can increase the voltage in Ryzen master under auto OC or Manual OC modes. Also increase the Numbers at the top. (PPT, TDC, EDC) There are lots of guides on how to do this on Youtube/Google.

This is what Ryzen Balanced Power plan looks like just for reference, under additional power settings. The slider on Power & Sleep should be maxed to performance. 

image.thumb.png.81ac21ff6b4c50c892977c8f7b8cddae.png

I am starting to think that this issues I something else and beyond my realm of knowledge. 

I did install the chipset but I don't see the AMD Ryzen Balanced option in my Power Options

10 minutes ago, TwistedTale said:

I did install the chipset but I don't see the AMD Ryzen Balanced option in my Power Options

Ryzen Power Plant is a thing of the Past. not needed with Windows Updates. I think it can'T even be activated for 5000 Series

4.2 is not bad (not best) on all cores. You will not get high clock speeds on mulitcore. It start araound 4,6 and then will clock down pretty fast to 4,3-4,4. Also 1.2V is normal on all Core boost. You may drop to 4.2 fast with that small cooler (edit: which is a bit low)

What are you clock speeds on single core benches, or while just using your PC. You should have spikes up to 4,95

grafik.png

6 minutes ago, toni2 said:

Ryzen Power Plant is a thing of the Past. not needed with Windows Updates. I think it can'T even be activated for 5000 Series

4.2 is not bad (not best) on all cores. You will not get high clock speeds on mulitcore. It start araound 4,6 and then will clock down pretty fast to 4,3-4,4. Also 1.2V is normal on all Core boost. You may drop to 4.2 fast with that small cooler (edit: which is a bit low)

What are you clock speeds on single core benches, or while just using your PC. You should have spikes up to 4,95

grafik.png

mine is always maxing at 4.2 no matter how hard the load, also the voltage is worrying low image.thumb.png.f73ee7ca8b51b44b51337e3489909d1f.png

1 minute ago, TwistedTale said:

mine is always maxing at 4.2 no matter how hard the load, also the voltage is worrying low image.thumb.png.f73ee7ca8b51b44b51337e3489909d1f.png

Not always. During all-core test...

1 minute ago, TwistedTale said:

are you sure you didn't load some overclock stuff?

i'm pretty sure there is some fucked up setting in Bios which sets a fixed 4,2 clock. Cinebench should look like this:

grafik.png.2339fc622802a633b1ac81ecdf3b7c98.png

The CPU is clocked at 3.7. PB and PBO will take care of single/multicore clocking

2 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Not always. During all-core test...

image.thumb.png.b689f8fb6840e5579fb924c9d5801920.png

2 minutes ago, toni2 said:

are you sure you didn't load some overclock stuff?

i'm pretty sure there is some fucked up setting in Bios which sets a fixed 4,2 clock. Cinebench should look like this:

grafik.png.2339fc622802a633b1ac81ecdf3b7c98.png

The CPU is clocked at 3.7. PB and PBO will take care of single/multicore clocking

That's what I m thinking too, the fact its fixed should mean that it's manually set. However, I didn't change anything of sort and I don't know which BIOS setting govern that

4 minutes ago, TwistedTale said:

That's what I m thinking too, the fact its fixed should mean that it's manually set. However, I didn't change anything of sort and I don't know which BIOS setting govern that

IT could be that or i can think of 2 software problems (AI Suite has some stupid stuff, and Ryzen master)

If load "auto optimal" on the Asus Bios and then just activate XMP (DOCP) , set everything on auto. Set PB and PBO on Auto. It should all work. (except if Ryzen master or AI Suite is doing some stupid shit)

to be clear: with auto optimal i don't mean any automatic overcloocking via the tweek stuff of the bios. Just let bios load it's default optimal stuff and ONLY change memory to docp, and if you want set PB and PBO on auto

Just now, toni2 said:

IT could be that or i can think of 2 software problems (AI Suite has some stupid stuff, and Ryzen master)

If load "auto optimal" on the Asus Bios and then just activate XMP (DOCP) , set everything on auto. Set PB and PBO on Auto. It should all work. (except if Ryzen master or AI Suite is doing some stupid shit)

I dont have Ai Suite or Ryzen master installed 

Thx you all a lot for helping, I found the sneaky culprit of the problem.

I resetted the BIOS and the base speed is back to the rated 3.7 GHz and was all cores at 4 GHz ish under load.

After that, I did an reset, and activated PBO, the auto optimal, XMP and all the regular stuff and it back to being stuck at 4.2. In the end it was the Auto Optimal setting in the Asus BIOS that automatically set a fixed clock speed. After doing another reset and activating everything except Auto Optimal, its working better than I could ever ask for

image.thumb.png.20308ee49d0efa3a8a1a4c6c7d78681e.png

15 minutes ago, TwistedTale said:

I dont have Ai Suite or Ryzen master installed 

Ok, my suggestion is to install Ryzen Master https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

Clear your CMOS, this will reset the BIOS to factory settings https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1040820/ (It will still use the latest bios, just change the settings back to stock)

Once both of those are done, enter the BIOS and enable XMP then open Ryzen Master and enable Precision Boost Overdrive. (Test your clock speed first maybe, clearing the CMOS should fix the issue)

image.thumb.png.90f6d62ec30626294b245b3e41bf5400.png

Make sure that PBO is Green and hit apply. If you do not have Ryzen Master installed, then you do not have PBO on. 

5 minutes ago, TwistedTale said:

I resetted the BIOS and the base speed is back to the rated 3.7 GHz and was all cores at 4 GHz ish under load.

After that, I did an reset, and activated PBO, the auto optimal, XMP and all the regular stuff and it back to being stuck at 4.2. In the end it was the Auto Optimal setting in the Asus BIOS that automatically set a fixed clock speed. After doing another reset and activating everything except Auto Optimal, its working better than I could ever ask for

Ah nice you fixed it! I figured it was just some dumb BIOS options being turned on. Have fun crushing everyone's CPU scores!

8 minutes ago, TwistedTale said:

Glad we could help

2 Tips:

- Your AIO is really a bit small for that cpu

- keep on checking bios update. As soon as there is a non Beta version with AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.0 you should update --> better cpu management and PBO 2 . (can then be activated in bios. No clue bout ryzen master, I don't like it, I don't use it)

• 5 months later...
On 1/27/2021 at 5:14 PM, TwistedTale said:

Hello, I recently bought my ryzen 9 5900x with an asus motherboard. I set the Auto Optimal to Normal, but the clock speed is still capped on 4.2. I think I need to reset my bios too, but what do you mean by resseting just clicking the default button or something else ?

• 1 month later...

I had the same issue the longest time, it is your bios setting, very unintuitive . look this 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hCN8wVsjuY8CMD9fD7T3P17o4MlzrWQO/view?usp=sharing

see top right, there is some tuning system, every one has it, set it to NORMAL, not OPTIMIZED OR ANYTHING ELSE,

now y you can set your settings to what you want, and it will not revert back to the  bios p auto tune.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this same issue - thank you all for the tips.  Looks like I finally got it to go over the 4201 Mhz barrier....   Just a couple of things:

- I installed the Ryzen Chipset driver bundle from the link that IAMABOSS posted - I still don't see anything in the power & sleep settings that says "Ryzen balanced."  I'm not incredibly worried about this, just think that it's odd that it's not showing up.  Maybe something didn't install correctly?

- CPUID HWMonitor was showing a max of 4201 during cinebench testing previously.  It now pushes some cores to 4949 - which is what I was looking for.  So why did my Cinebench score drop?  It was 20804 when the CPU was locked at 4.2 (Ryzen master actually showed me it was capped here, so I reset that too).  After following the above steps and getting the CPU to max at 4.9+ the overall score dropped by almost 300 points to 20529.  I thought it might be some sporadic thermal throttling but the CPU temp never went above 67.  I know this is splitting hairs and all, and this is still a fantastic number, but I'm just trying to learn why this might be a different score with supposedly faster clocks...

- L:astly, most cores don't drop lower than ~3600 now even when mostly idle, which seems high to me - am I just trippin'?  :-)

Thanks again everyone for the tips here - much appreciated.  Getting a max 4.2 on something that even the box says should be capable of 4.8 boost was kinda bugging me for a while.  :)