"Must accept cookies to access website" - well what if I don't…?

caincha

It's been a while now since we been seeing this pop-up-like thing hovering our screen when we access a website demanding we accept cookies to view said website and if we decline tough luck, we are blocked out.

Ever since I been clicking on the X in the corner - technically not accepting nor denying - and the website works as normal.

So I been wondering: what happens if you do just that? Does it mean you accepted and that is why it works or is it a loophole nobody found yet…?

On a similar topic what about those 'notification' pop-ups we been seen? I always click block but it's been nagging me: did I really blocked it or by clicking I just sent the software a confirmation that indeed I am seeing that page and now they are tracking me…?

---mods please move if not posted in the right place - and my apologies for that.

You can also just remove the element or use an adblocker to remove it. Most sites will place cookies either way till they get called out for it.

3 minutes ago, caincha said:

It's been a while now since we been seeing this pop-up-like thing hovering our screen when we access a website demanding we accept cookies to view said website and if we decline tough luck, we are blocked out.

Ever since I been clicking on the X in the corner - technically not accepting nor denying - and the website works as normal.

So I been wondering: what happens if you do just that? Does it mean you accepted and that is why it works or is it a loophole nobody found yet…?

On a similar topic what about those 'notification' pop-ups we been seen? I always click block but it's been nagging me: did I really blocked it or by clicking I just sent the software a confirmation that indeed I am seeing that page and now they are tracking me…?

---mods please move if not posted in the right place - and my apologies for that.

Are you from the EU?

If so then in theory GDPR states that they can not deny you service unless collecting that data is crucial to provide the service.....

Legally speaking they can not drop a cookie until you react to the popup.

Also in theory the pop up should not hinder you from browsing the website...

In reality most companies dont give a fuck and just drop the cookie the moment you enter the website.....

Some websites adjust their policies and technical side for the EU but if you are outside the EU then the whole thing is mostly just a charade.

If the cookies are important for the website functionality, the website or some features on the website may fail to work.

For example, if you log in on a website and the website stores a cookie with some sign in code that gets send each time you load a page to remember you're logged in, then as you refused to consent, the website can't store cookies, so you won't stay logged in.

Or another example, let's say the website has a search function where you can check  various options (like search by title, search by genre, show only books/tracks between 2001...2010) ... the website may store what you checked locally on your computer in a cookie , so that a week from now when you hit search the first time, it reads the cookie and auto checks the options previously selected.  No cookies, website always shows the default options checked.... so you lose functionality.

GDPR basically made this law to ask consent for services like Google Adsense or Analytics ,,, where they put a unique cookie to basically give you a unique fingerprint , so they'll be able to log each page you access on a website ... and then the store can know how many visitors from each country, how many between certain hours, how many visitors click on a specific page on your website... lots of things

34 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You can also just remove the element or use an adblocker to remove it. Most sites will place cookies either way till they get called out for it.

Adblocks are 'banned' on some sites: you either disable or the page won't work. In this case I did not find a loophole so I just close the page and look for another source.

Just now, caincha said:

Adblocks are 'banned' on some sites: you either disable or the page won't work. In this case I did not find a loophole so I just close the page and look for another source.

Not if you use firefox and ublock origin (works on mobile too) that combo circumvents the problem as it's not google trying to stop adblockers.

30 minutes ago, Exidor said:

Are you from the EU?

I am in NZ but from what I read since EU enacted those rules major companies implemented world wide - why do it differently for EU if eventually other countries might follow suit, easier to implement world wide as they might have to anyway.

1 minute ago, caincha said:

You are still being tracked tho. Don't get the false illusion that not accepting them keeps you safe and untracked that is totally false.

18 minutes ago, mariushm said:

GDPR basically made this law to ask consent for services like Google Adsense or Analytics ,,, where they put a unique cookie to basically give you a unique fingerprint , so they'll be able to log each page you access on a website ... and then the store can know how many visitors from each country, how many between certain hours, how many visitors click on a specific page on your website... lots of things

Doesn't actually answer my question though 😅

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

You are still being tracked tho. Don't get the false illusion that not accepting them keeps you safe and untracked that is totally false.

Yeah I know… I do have a do-not-track extension plus the inbuilt option on my browser (Vivaldi) but don't really trust them… Been considering a VPN ever since the data collectors became more and more invasive - and secretive…

2 minutes ago, caincha said:

Yeah I know… I do have a do-not-track extension plus the inbuilt option on my browser (Vivaldi) but don't really trust them… Been considering a VPN ever since the data collectors became more and more invasive - and secretive…

They've been for over a decade. They will have a really good profile about you already.

Just now, jaslion said:

They've been for over a decade. They will have a really good profile about you already.

I am aware (though a decade ago their reach was far lower than now, come on 😅 ). But I will not be on the bandwagon of 'oh they have everything, why not give them more and more' or 'I have nothing to hide, let them have anything about me'.

And I have been doing my best to limit what they can have from me anyway - unlike many I did not grant them access to my phone number, for one. Which is why I will drop WhatsApp - and I guess why I raised the question now 🤔

Anyway, nobody gave me a clear answer yet

Ever since I been clicking on the X in the corner - technically not accepting nor denying - and the website works as normal.

4 minutes ago, caincha said:

Anyway, nobody gave me a clear answer yet

I did. If you don't agree then most of the time they still just enable them till they are reported doing it. Depends on website to website. There are websites where you can say no and they will just do it regardless. Most people aren't tech savy enough to know so they get away with it. You really never know until you check.

8 minutes ago, caincha said:

I am aware (though a decade ago their reach was far lower than now, come on 😅 ). But I will not be on the bandwagon of 'oh they have everything, why not give them more and more' or 'I have nothing to hide, let them have anything about me'.

And I have been doing my best to limit what they can have from me anyway - unlike many I did not grant them access to my phone number, for one. Which is why I will drop WhatsApp - and I guess why I raised the question now

Fully agree I know they have stuff on me but that doesn't mean I'll let them keep doing it if I can avoid it.

Simple answer probably yes.....

But unless we can look at the code we can not say.

If you really want to know launch a GDPR claim and see what happens they would theoretically have to disclose if officially requested.

49 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I did. If you don't agree then most of the time they still just enable them till they are reported doing it. Depends on website to website. There are websites where you can say no and they will just do it regardless. Most people aren't tech savy enough to know so they get away with it. You really never know until you check.

Fully agree I know they have stuff on me but that doesn't mean I'll let them keep doing it if I can avoid it.

Thanks for that. And yes, the least we can do as individuals it to not be complacent.