New build, but games, chrome tabs and discord crashing

psychostatik

Just made a brand new build (with the exception of transferring over my gpu from my old build) and weird things keep happening. Games will run fine for a while after a fresh boot, but then will begin to crash and sometimes make me have to repair game files. Unsure if this is related, but chrome tabs will crash as well as discord, but both will always work after a refresh. All RAM is showing correctly in windows and XMP is on.

Things I've tried:

1.) Running Windows memory diagnostics- showed no issues

2.) ran a test on my gen 4 ssd in the motherboard bios- showed no issues

3.) completely reinstalled windows

I suspect it's a hardware issue (probably RAM) but am not 100% sure especially since Windows memory diagnostics didn't show a problem. I have been trying to solve this for about a week now and am clueless at this point what to do next. Google wasn't showing anyone with similar problems as me so I am turning here. Any and all help is immensely appreciated. Thanks!

The build

Windows 10 64bit

BIOS version: 7C84v14

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x

RAM: G skill TridentZ neo 3600mhz 2x16GB 16-19-19-39

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080ti Founders Edition

MOBO: MSI x570 Tomahawk Wifi

PSU: Corsair RM 850x

Only drive currently in the system: 500gb Corsair MP600

EDIT: Within 30 minutes of creating this post, I closed chrome via task manager and my entire pc crashed. Have 0 idea what is going on with my system.

Try to run a prime95 with all of your ram allocated and see if the system crashes.

Is your RAM in the QVL of that board?

XMP with Ryzen can be tricky sometimes.

28 minutes ago, Plermpel said:

Try to run a prime95 with all of your ram allocated and see if the system crashes.

Is your RAM in the QVL of that board?

XMP with Ryzen can be tricky sometimes.

I appreciate the response. Couldn't find a clear QVL for the x570 Tomahawk, but everywhere I have looked has indicated there should be no issues with compatibility. Websites like PC part picker listed the RAM as compatible for example. I'll give the prime95 solution a try and update on what happens. How long should I let it run for and what number specifically should I put for the RAM allocation? Since windows is using a chunk of RAM by default I'd assume I shouldn't put 32000 in right? Sorry for the questions I just have no experience with prime95. Thanks!

Just do small FFTs, you will see seperate windows for every cpu thread in the program, one of them will stop working within a few minutes if your ram config is bad.

Edit.: QVL is on the MSi Web page of your board, under compatibility.

But you're right, that shouldn't be an issue.

What settings are you running for RAM in BIOS, just XMP on? Is the voltage correct?

25 minutes ago, Plermpel said:

Just do small FFTs, you will see seperate windows for every cpu thread in the program, one of them will stop working within a few minutes if your ram config is bad.

Edit.: QVL is on the MSi Web page of your board, under compatibility.

But you're right, that shouldn't be an issue.

What settings are you running for RAM in BIOS, just XMP on? Is the voltage correct?

Ok so running large FFTs caused all but one of the windows to stop almost instantly and threw a lot of things like this in the results text file

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4991169653, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

I can try running small FFTs but that seems like it may take a couple hours.

And yes I haven't tried to overclock the RAM or anything just enabled XMP. I did disable XMP for one day a few days ago to see if that would solve anything, but while playing cyberpunk it still crashed (hard to know if thats an issue with cyberpunk or my computer however).

I am starting to wonder if this may be an effect of not plugging in the extra 4 pin cpu connector on my motherboard? I was told it was not necessary to plug in unless doing extreme overclocking though. And how would I know if the voltage is correct? Thanks for all the help!

Usually the 4pin doesn't have an effect don't know for shure about Zen 3 thou.

I just finished my Zen 3 build yesterday and didn't really got into RAM stuff yet, but it was allready a pain in the butt on Zen 2, I had some similar issues with my DIMMs back then. Ryzen DRAM calculator is always a good bet, but I don't know how it works with new Ryzens, maybe just give it a shot.

You could also try to manually set FCKL to 1800, memory to 3600, and DRAM Voltage to 1.35V . Set all timings to auto and see what your Mainboard comes up with.

Edit.: What does the Windows Event viewer tell you about your crashes. Is there a Fatal error? Unexpected shutdown?

15 minutes ago, Plermpel said:

Usually the 4pin doesn't have an effect don't know for shure about Zen 3 thou.

I just finished my Zen 3 build yesterday and didn't really got into RAM stuff yet, but it was allready a pain in the butt on Zen 2, I had some similar issues with my DIMMs back then. Ryzen DRAM calculator is always a good bet, but I don't know how it works with new Ryzens, maybe just give it a shot.

You could also try to manually set FCKL to 1800, memory to 3600, and DRAM Voltage to 1.35V . Set all timings to auto and see what your Mainboard comes up with.

Edit.: What does the Windows Event viewer tell you about your crashes. Is there a Fatal error? Unexpected shutdown?

There was a critical error that shows in event viewer right before the crash from closing chrome happened that said "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation." Also in event viewer I saw a gigantic list of warnings all saying the same thing regarding "a corrected hardware error has occurred." I'm pretty sure this aligns with the prime95 tests and the fatal error that was reported from those tests. 

chromecrash.png

cpuproblem.png

The fatal error from volmgr usually means that your system didn't save a complete crash dump at the last shutdown, is there another error?

Edit.: You can also try to temporarely disable your page file.

Nothing else labeled error or critical seems helpful no. Everything else I can see just says "the computer crashed" more or less. There is an event tagged Information that says Connectivity state in standby: Disconnected, Reason: NIC compliance but thats it really regarding the chrome crash. I think I am gonna run memtest86 tonight and report back how that goes.

2 hours ago, psychostatik said:

am starting to wonder if this may be an effect of not plugging in the extra 4 pin cpu connector on my motherboard? I was told it was not necessary to plug in unless doing extreme overclocking

I was told the exact opposite, it's absolutely mandatory, so just plug it in and see if the errors happen again. 

Otherwise the cpu might be damaged already (not sure) or it's something with the ram then... however, you need those 2 x 4 pins for the cpu... pretty sure it's either in mobo or cpu manual too... this isn't optional for ryzen 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

You can't damage your CPU by not plugging the 4pin that's just to release some current from the individual cables.

If prime95 crashes you have a problem with memory or your memory controller for shure, I'd try to set the memory to a JEDEC config manually and see if the problem stays. Some mainboards auto configure an unstable memory config if everything is just set to Auto, even without XMP. Have you turned on PBO? I did a bit of tuning on my system today got the memory stable at 3800mhz cl16 but as soon as I turn on PBO 3600 barely runs stable.

17 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I was told the exact opposite, it's absolutely mandatory, so just plug it in and see if the errors happen again. 

Otherwise the cpu might be damaged already (not sure) or it's something with the ram then... however, you need those 2 x 4 pins for the cpu... pretty sure it's either in mobo or cpu manual too... this isn't optional for ryzen 

4 pin is not necessary on a 5800x. I physically can't use 4 pin. Only 8 pin CPU power.

1024.png

@psychostatik It shouldn't be a power delivery problem to the CPU and IMC as long as you have the 4+4 or 8 pin connected.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 hour ago, Voluspa said:

I physically can't use 4 pin. Only 8 pin CPU power.

It shouldn't be a power delivery problem to the CPU and IMC as long as you have the 4+4 or 8 pin connected.

Thats what I said though, you need 2x4 pins, to me it sounds like OP only used 1x4 pin because the other was "extra"... 

im not aware of a cpu power cable with 3x4 pins... if that exists and that's what OP meant with "extra" then yeah that's probably not the problem, as of now it's not clear to me though. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

21 hours ago, psychostatik said:

I am starting to wonder if this may be an effect of not plugging in the extra 4 pin cpu connector on my motherboard? I was told it was not necessary to plug in unless doing extreme overclocking though. And how would I know if the voltage is correct? Thanks for all the help!

Can you clarify if you're using the 8 pin and thought the extra 4 pin next to is is what's not plugged in?

8 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Thats what I said though, you need 2x4 pins, to me it sounds like OP only used 1x4 pin because the other was "extra"... 

im not aware of a cpu power cable with 3x4 pins... if that exists and that's what OP meant with "extra" then yeah that's probably not the problem, as of now it's not clear to me though. 

Taking it at face value, I think you'd be correct. I jumped to conclusions with their 8 pin being plugged in.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Can you clarify if you're using the 8 pin and thought the extra 4 pin next to is is what's not plugged in?

Taking it at face value, I think you'd be correct. I jumped to conclusions with their 8 pin being plugged in.

The 8 pin was fully plugged in. I was referring to the extra 4 pin connector next to the 8pin

Bit of an update after troubleshooting today:

Ran memtest86 on system in current state: had roughly 10,000 errors

Ran memtest86 on system after plugging in extra 4pin: stopped test after 800 errors when pass 3 started

cleared CMOS, Swapped out the g skill sticks with an old 2133mhz 4x4GB kit from my old computer and ran memtest86 again: Passed entire test with 0 errors

2 hours ago, Plermpel said:

You can't damage your CPU by not plugging the 4pin that's just to release some current from the individual cables.

If prime95 crashes you have a problem with memory or your memory controller for shure, I'd try to set the memory to a JEDEC config manually and see if the problem stays. Some mainboards auto configure an unstable memory config if everything is just set to Auto, even without XMP. Have you turned on PBO? I did a bit of tuning on my system today got the memory stable at 3800mhz cl16 but as soon as I turn on PBO 3600 barely runs stable.

Going to give this a try later and if nothing changes I am just going to RMA the sticks I think. Thanks for the help everyone!