temps too high

OCNewbee
36 minutes ago, OCNewbee said:

I am setting the fan curves in bios. The asus crate is a complete bloatware. But removing the front panel seems like a good idea to check if more airflow could help. Thanks again.

Which motherboard do you have?

2 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Which motherboard do you have?

asus z390-i

• CPU
    9900KS @ 5.0 avx offset 0/ cache 4.7/ @1.33v
  • Motherboard
    asus strix ROG z390-i
  • RAM
    8gb x2 G.skill ddr 4 3600 (OCed to 4000 17-19-19-39 @1.4v)
  • GPU
    Asus Strix OC RTX 3080 10GB  
  • Case
    Corsair 280x Crystal
  • Storage
    1tb Samsung SSD + 2x (512gb Samsung) SSD
  • PSU
    Seasonic GM 650 650Watt Gold (semi-modular)
  • Display(s)
    LG34gk950g
  • Cooling
    H115i platinum/ 2x NF-A14 (GPU intake)/ 2xNFA14 (H115i radiator exhaust fan) 2x Corsair ML PRO 140(front intake) / 1x NF-A8 (exhaust)/ 2 x Corsair LL 120 (GPU deshroud fans)
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K70 LUX MX RED/ Microsoft Designer Keyboard Bluetooth
  • Mouse
    Corsair Harpoon RGB
  • Sound
    Audioengine A2+/ Audioengine d1 dac/ B&O h6

5 hours ago, narrdarr said:

you might be a the limit of the case, cooler or both. before you go out buying fans. remove the front panel and side panel during your test and see if your temps drop any farther.

I removed the front panel and filter. 1 degree difference. It is now at 85C. So extra fans won't help?                                                              

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    asus strix ROG z390-i
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Corsair 280x Crystal
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    LG34gk950g
  • Cooling
    H115i platinum/ 2x NF-A14 (GPU intake)/ 2xNFA14 (H115i radiator exhaust fan) 2x Corsair ML PRO 140(front intake) / 1x NF-A8 (exhaust)/ 2 x Corsair LL 120 (GPU deshroud fans)
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Corsair Harpoon RGB
  • Sound

7 hours ago, OCNewbee said:

asus z390-i

Yea only AC is available to download for your motherboard. However with my GF asus MB I was able to download ai suite 3 from a different asus motherboard support page you could try that. 

Or try using fancontrol or speedfan

Both of these are much more lightweight and maybe able to override that critical limit that throws the fans to 100%.

There is also corsair commander pro too. Which with icue you can control fan without any limitation from the MB.

5 hours ago, OCNewbee said:

I removed the front panel and filter. 1 degree difference. It is now at 85C. So extra fans won't help?                                                              

Did you do it with side panel off too?

If you drop farther down with side panel off. Adding fans may help. It wouldn't help because of the limits of the cooler or case, but more likely help because it would help reduce heat soaking from the gpu and you should test using a day to day usage like gaming to see if you get a lower temp.

Hope that made sense.

I'm getting the feeling that this is more to do with noise than temps.

Aka if I can get my temps down I can get lower noise as the fans won't be @ 100% with a load. 

19 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Yea only AC is available to download for your motherboard. However with my GF asus MB I was able to download ai suite 3 from a different asus motherboard support page you could try that. 

Or try using fancontrol or speedfan

Both of these are much more lightweight and maybe able to override that critical limit that throws the fans to 100%.

There is also corsair commander pro too. Which with icue you can control fan without any limitation from the MB.

Did you do it with side panel off too?

If you drop farther down with side panel off. Adding fans may help. It wouldn't help because of the limits of the cooler or case, but more likely help because it would help reduce heat soaking from the gpu and you should test using a day to day usage like gaming to see if you get a lower temp.

Hope that made sense.

I'm getting the feeling that this is more to do with noise than temps.

Aka if I can get my temps down I can get lower noise as the fans won't be @ 100% with a load. 

Sorry for this almost troll like posts. But I had another crazy idea. In the front, of the CPU cooler I am able to place 2 60mm fans. I am thinking about zip tying them together and placing them in front.

So essentially, last night, I loosely placed a 120mm in between the CPU cooler and the two intake. It dropped the maximum thermals by 4 degrees. 

So I am guessing placing extra fans directly on the front of the CPU cooler could possibly bring the temps down. What are your thoughts?  

20210128_220915.jpg

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    asus strix ROG z390-i
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Corsair 280x Crystal
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    LG34gk950g
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Corsair Harpoon RGB
  • Sound

I thought I cover that already. 

If you have a single fan it should be between the cooler. The 60mm maybe help but the noise maybe even worse and to mention look really funny.