Modular Power Supply Cable Identification

Psittac
Go to solution Solved by Psittac,

Does anyone have reliable resources to identify what cable is for which PSU?  I got my Seasonic RMA but don't know which sata cables are for the Corsair and which are for the Seasonic and while I'm at it I'd like to sort through all of these and bag them separately which I should have been doing to start with.

There are at least 5 different supplies these could go to but luckily 3 of them are corsair.

I figured we could get a compilation of knowledge here because I'm sure this is a common situation and I can't find much useful info online.  Links guides anything.  Thanks

*I've come to the conclusion that a knowledge base is prone to errors so I figured it out myself.

*edit: I got it figured out using several different methods mentioned here and deductive reasoning.  Once I figured out which ones were corsair I knew where to look.  Did some multimetering and figured out the 3v and 5v were right but I must have shorted 12v to ground and the whole thing shut off so going off that much being right I figured at worst there would be less than 12v going to the 12v pins with a slight risk of ground's being wrong but these are the ones that were plugged into my array the whole time (I think) and the only set of cables that had enough sata for my use (had to order a second set of cables to get all the sata I need).  So all in I made an educated guess, tested it on my fan hub then put the array online and voila everything is back up.  Now I can clean my PC and button it all back up.  Thanks everyone for the information.

20210125_141629.thumb.jpg.39b91091a3ba095b426c26af8eb758a0.jpg

Does anyone have reliable resources to identify what cable is for which PSU?  I got my Seasonic RMA but don't know which sata cables are for the Corsair and which are for the Seasonic and while I'm at it I'd like to sort through all of these and bag them separately which I should have been doing to start with.

There are at least 5 different supplies these could go to but luckily 3 of them are corsair.

I figured we could get a compilation of knowledge here because I'm sure this is a common situation and I can't find much useful info online.  Links guides anything.  Thanks

*I've come to the conclusion that a knowledge base is prone to errors so I figured it out myself.

*edit: I got it figured out using several different methods mentioned here and deductive reasoning.  Once I figured out which ones were corsair I knew where to look.  Did some multimetering and figured out the 3v and 5v were right but I must have shorted 12v to ground and the whole thing shut off so going off that much being right I figured at worst there would be less than 12v going to the 12v pins with a slight risk of ground's being wrong but these are the ones that were plugged into my array the whole time (I think) and the only set of cables that had enough sata for my use (had to order a second set of cables to get all the sata I need).  So all in I made an educated guess, tested it on my fan hub then put the array online and voila everything is back up.  Now I can clean my PC and button it all back up.  Thanks everyone for the information.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

8 minutes ago, Psittac said:

luckily 3 of them are corsair.

Being from the same brand does not guarantee compatibility. Furthermore, Corsair does not make their own supplies, and has several different OEMs.

Needless to say, you have quite a mess there. I keep all of my cables separate and properly labeled.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

I'm not sure if there is a faster way, but you could try plugging and checking (don't plug the cable into a component, just plug the cable into the power supply). Plug the cable into the appropriate port on the PSU, then use a multimeter to check which pins are grounds and which are power, then compare with the standardized pinout. If it does not match, try the cable with the other PSU and do the same thing. I don't see anything wrong with this method other than it being tedious, if someone sees a problem with it, please point it out so I don't do the same thing in the future. 

Just now, HairlessMonkeyBoy said:

Being from the same brand does not guarantee compatibility. Furthermore, Corsair does not make their own supplies, and has several different OEMs.

Needless to say, you have quite a mess there. I keep all of my cables separate and properly labeled.

I was aware, I didn't give the proper information.  I meant because I found the corsair cable listing and they all "should" be labeled though I haven't started.  At any rate good information incase this becomes a repository.

PSU CABLE COMPATIBILITY (corsair.com)

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

1 minute ago, The_russian said:

I'm not sure if there is a faster way, but you could try plugging and checking (don't plug the cable into a component, just plug the cable into the power supply). Plug the cable into the appropriate port on the PSU, then use a multimeter to check which pins are grounds and which are power, then compare with the standardized pinout. If it does not match, try the cable with the other PSU and do the same thing. I don't see anything wrong with this method other than it being tedious, if someone sees a problem with it, please point it out so I don't do the same thing in the future. 

I've thought of that but my dad has my multimeter right now, was hoping for a shortcut

*edit: I will add that this method might be the most reliable because I have found that some of the info I have found has been wrong to the best of my understanding with thing's such as mirrored psu side plug's in the diagrams.

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

1 minute ago, Psittac said:

I've thought of that but my dad has my multimeter right now, was hoping for a shortcut

Connect the cable to the PSU and a hard drive or SSD, if the drive still works it is for the correct PSU. /s

Jokes aside I would not feel comfortable using a cable from an unknown power supply without checking the pinouts myself. 

12 minutes ago, Psittac said:

I was aware, I didn't give the proper information.  I meant because I found the corsair cable listing and they all "should" be labeled though I haven't started. 

Then start there.

I can already see in your picture where one of the connectors says "Type 3".  That means it's Corsair.

16 minutes ago, HairlessMonkeyBoy said:

Yet somehow, all of the Corsair cables other than the 24-pin have been compatible with one another for the last ten years.

30 minutes ago, Psittac said:

Usually they won't plug into the PSU if the header is not perfectly shaped the same way. If that does not help, measuring voltages an pin outs can be the next step but it takes a lot of time and you need to read up on the connector pin voltages. If the right voltage is in the right pin, it should not matter what cable goes where. Some cables have logos and text on the connectors that represent the company or a product number you can look up.

30 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Usually they won't plug into the PSU if the header is not perfectly shaped the same way. If that does not help, measuring voltages an pin outs can be the next step but it takes a lot of time and you need to read up on the connector pin voltages. If the right voltage is in the right pin, it should not matter what cable goes where. Some cables have logos and text on the connectors that represent the company or a product number you can look up.

Thanks, I haven't been able to make heads or tails of the connector numbers in the past but I will add that to the arsenal.  I went and got my multimeter but it's almost the time of day to start gaming so it'll have to wait for another day.

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

1 hour ago, HairlessMonkeyBoy said:

Corsair does not make their own supplies, and has several different OEMs.

Luckily, Corsair designs many!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler