hmmm webcam??????

RyansLeftArm

Hey so I wanted to start streaming but im unsure as to what webcam to get. I like to basically live in the dark so something with good low light performance is what im looking for. I also have alot of Philips hue things in my room, so it may be pink half the time. Odk anything about cameras but because of this is it a good idea to get maybe the razer kiyo? as it has a ringlight built into it, i dont know though.

Just now, RyansLeftArm said:

Hey so I wanted to start streaming but im unsure as to what webcam to get. I like to basically live in the dark so something with good low light performance is what im looking for. I also have alot of Philips hue things in my room, so it may be pink half the time. Odk anything about cameras but because of this is it a good idea to get maybe the razer kiyo? as it has a ringlight built into it, i dont know though.

what recording app will you be using ? usually there will be gamma settings so any webcam would work fine just dont buy a cheap one

What sort of a phone do you have? One option would be to use e.g. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.newtek.ndi.hxcam on an Android-phone as a webcam. Mobile-phones these days tend to have far better cameras than any reasonably-priced webcams.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I like to basically live in the dark so something with good low light performance is what im looking for.

You will always be better off providing good lighting than trying to compensate for low light with the camera/settings.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Delamain said:

what's ur budget?

under 160 usd would be nice but over is fine i guess 

Get a proper camera or a digital photo camera with video recording ... use the hdmi output of camera with a decent hdmi capture card or use "network streaming" feature if the camera has any, to send the video to your pc. 

All but a few webcams are shit at low light levels. 

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

What sort of a phone do you have? One option would be to use e.g. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.newtek.ndi.hxcam on an Android-phone as a webcam. Mobile-phones these days tend to have far better cameras than any reasonably-priced webcams.

I've tried it, but the problem with that is I get lots of messages that I need to reply to (from work and so on) so it's hard for me to take it down every 2 minutes to look at my phone. Good suggestion though!

10 minutes ago, RyansLeftArm said:

I've tried it, but the problem with that is I get lots of messages that I need to reply to (from work and so on) so it's hard for me to take it down every 2 minutes to look at my phone. Good suggestion though!

Put your phone in airplane mode or whatever disables the sim card .... do they pay you for interruptions outside your work schedule?

6 minutes ago, RyansLeftArm said:

Consider picking up a used Pixel 1 on eBay. They go for around ~$70 and still has quite a good camera.

If you feel you need a dedicated webcam, consider picking up a C920s (identical to C920). If you're just getting into streaming, there's no reason to spend $160 on a webcam. Keep in mind that no dedicated webcam can seamlessly compensate for poor lighting conditions.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

19 minutes ago, RyansLeftArm said:

That's understandable. It isn't really practical to use the phone that you're actually using as a streaming camera, for the reasons you described. Instead I would recommend an old phone that you are no longer using. If you have an old phone sitting in a drawer somewhere then that might be an option.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 minutes ago, Spotty said:

That's understandable. It isn't really practical to use the phone that you're actually using as a streaming camera, for the reasons you described. Instead I would recommend an old phone that you are no longer using. If you have an old phone sitting in a drawer somewhere then that might be an option.

I was going to recommend OP to ask if a friend or a family-member has a suitable phone. That'd probably be the best option both financially and qualitatively.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

On 1/25/2021 at 11:20 PM, mariushm said:

Put your phone in airplane mode or whatever disables the sim card .... do they pay you for interruptions outside your work schedule?

man i wish i was paid for being called outside work haha, i would be rich

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 8:23 AM, PorkishPig said:

Consider picking up a used Pixel 1 on eBay. They go for around ~$70 and still has quite a good camera.

If you feel you need a dedicated webcam, consider picking up a C920s (identical to C920). If you're just getting into streaming, there's no reason to spend $160 on a webcam. Keep in mind that no dedicated webcam can seamlessly compensate for poor lighting conditions.

So I had a c920. Returned as fast as I could, and bought a c922. DO NOT GET A C920. The settings are weird, and it barely works.

Build:

• CPU: AMD 3700x                                           
  • Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO RGB
  • Motherboard: MSI x570 tomahawk wifi
  • Memory: Teamforce Delta RGB DDR4-3000 16 GB
  • Graphics Card: EVGA 1660 SC ULTRA
  • Case: Fractal Design Meshify C
  • PSU: Fractal Design Ion 660w
  • Case fans: Sickleflow 120 RGB (3-pack)

Nothing I say is guaranteed to be correct, please remember this. I'm still learning every day.

Feedback is appreciated!

(in other words i can say stupid stuff so double check what i say)

3 minutes ago, Nate. said:

So I had a c920. Returned as fast as I could, and bought a c922. DO NOT GET A C920. The settings are weird, and it barely works.

I've had the C920s for a few months now without issue, it's a very well regarded webcam. What issues were you encountering?

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

55 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

I've had the C920s for a few months now without issue, it's a very well regarded webcam. What issues were you encountering?

#1 Settings didn't apply to all video chatting services.

#2 Couldn't see preview when adjusting settings in Logitech Camera Settings.

Build:

• CPU: AMD 3700x                                           
  • Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO RGB
  • Motherboard: MSI x570 tomahawk wifi
  • Memory: Teamforce Delta RGB DDR4-3000 16 GB
  • Graphics Card: EVGA 1660 SC ULTRA
  • Case: Fractal Design Meshify C
  • PSU: Fractal Design Ion 660w
  • Case fans: Sickleflow 120 RGB (3-pack)

Nothing I say is guaranteed to be correct, please remember this. I'm still learning every day.

Feedback is appreciated!

(in other words i can say stupid stuff so double check what i say)

53 minutes ago, Nate. said:

#1 Settings didn't apply to all video chatting services.

The C920s I purchased displays 1080@30fps on all chatting services. It's possible that the issue was resolved in a firmware update between the C920 and the C920s, though both cameras are identical (even shows up as a C920 in Windows) with the exception of the C920s including a detachable lens cover.

53 minutes ago, Nate. said:

#2 Couldn't see preview when adjusting settings in Logitech Camera Settings.

This just sounds like a software bug, which is not present in the current version of Logitech Capture.

Desktop

Homelab