What do you guys think about the Sony MDR-XB800?

orangecat

I'm currently looking at reviews and pricing but I wanted to hear from you guys and see what you thought. I really liked the look and style of the old ones and the new ones have a weird flat ear cup so i'm not sure they will be comfortable.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB800-Extra-Driver-Headphone/dp/B009A7BP3U

What are you going to use them for?

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

I'm currently looking at reviews and pricing but I wanted to hear from you guys and see what you thought. I really liked the look and style of the old ones and the new ones have a weird flat ear cup so i'm not sure they will be comfortable.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB800-Extra-Driver-Headphone/dp/B009A7BP3U

Sound quality isn't really worth the price, but they're comfortable and isolate well for portable use.

I own a pair of Sony headphones based on the XB series. The ones I have are bass-heavy, and that's to say nothing of the actual XB line.

As a matter of fact, people have said that the XB700s are a guilty pleasure because of their crazy bass. But XBs are not the only headphones you want to have. They're the kind of thing you should occasionally plug in and have fun with. Hardly something I could recommend, even if they're really comfortable (though they make your ears really hot).

I assume your budget is $100. I don't know what you're looking for in a headphone - closed or open - but here's some great options:

• Creative Aurvana Live! (closed)
  • Denon AH-D1100 (closed)
  • Sony MDR-7506 (closed)
  • Grado SR80i (open)
  • Sennheiser HD 518 (open)

Grado produces some excellent open headphones if you can put up with the comfort issues. You might even think they're comfortable; most people don't.

If you have about $30 more to spend, buy the Sennheiser HD 558. You can even mod them to sound more like the HD 598s if you're not afraid to take a DIY approach.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

518s are a good choice but they aren't closed if that's what you're looking for. 

No i want open headphones I own a pair of closed and they sound really stuffy.

I own a pair of Sony headphones based on the XB series. The ones I have are bass-heavy, and that's to say nothing of the actual XB line.

As a matter of fact, people have said that the XB700s are a guilty pleasure because of their crazy bass. But XBs are not the only headphones you want to have. They're the kind of thing you should occasionally plug in and have fun with. Hardly something I could recommend, even if they're really comfortable (though they make your ears really hot).

I assume your budget is $100. I don't know what you're looking for in a headphone - closed or open - but here's some great options:

• Creative Aurvana Live! (closed)
  • Denon AH-D1100 (closed)
  • Sony MDR-7506 (closed)
  • Grado SR80i (open)
  • Sennheiser HD 518 (open)

Grado produces some excellent open headphones if you can put up with the comfort issues. You might even think they're comfortable; most people don't.

If you have about $30 more to spend, buy the Sennheiser HD 558. You can even mod them to sound more like the HD 598s if you're not afraid to take a DIY approach.

I'm thinking of getting the HD 518s right now because they are on sale for 99$ Canadian Dollar. But comfort is a big part of headphones for me. If they dont feel good I wont use them.

I'm thinking of getting the HD 518s right now because they are on sale for 99$ Canadian Dollar. But comfort is a big part of headphones for me. If they dont feel good I wont use them.

Then I stand behind the Sennheiser HD 518s. The HD 5xx series is well-regarded, especially for the price. At least in the US.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

Very comfy unless you have a big head. Comfort also improves when the pads mold to the shape of your head.

Very comfy unless you have a big head. Comfort also improves when the pads mold to the shape of your head.

That would be me...I personally don't think the Sennheiser PC360 is that comfy and I believe those are the same pads/earcup. 

Haha your funny. But I'm thinking of getting the Sennheiser HD 518s now.

Sennheiser hd 518s only good if you can get them at around $70ish dollars, if not spend a little more to get the 558s.

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue

Sennheiser hd 518s only good if you can get them at around $70ish dollars, if not spend a little more to get the 558s.

Good choice if it's in his budget. 598s are even better, but 558s are what I'd call "good enough."

That would be me...I personally don't think the Sennheiser PC360 is that comfy and I believe those are the same pads/earcup.

Yes, loosening an SE-A1000 qualifies you for the huge head club.