CPU Cores and Memory Split

Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,
31 minutes ago, Dalevine1024 said:

So, would a Hyper-V/VM give me the ability to Specify what cores to use, like instead of the first 6 cores, use the last 6 cores which are not utilized unless max utilization occurs? Also would I be able to set up a specific IP Address for that VM to utilize with a 3rd party file explorer like FileZilla? 

With a hypervisor you can assign physical cores to virtual machines so no matter what you do on one host their activity doesn't influence the other. Your game servers would run off their own OS instance and can be setup with a Static IP. Accessing them for file sharing (SMB/NFS/SSH/SFTP/etc) would be doable assuming you set it up on the VM side. You may have to create your own network bridge before you do that though.

I know this is not really recommended, but I want to split my CPU cores in half (So 6 cores for my desktop, and 6 cores to run a server on the computer using a external hard drive) 
I have looked far and wide, and cannot find out how to do this without destroying what I have. Can anyone help me with this?

Tech Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor, Base speed:    4.20 GHz

Memory: 64.0 GB Speed: 3200 MHz, 4 Sticks of 16 GB
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
MOBO: x570 Asus Tuff Gaming WIFI

Linus did a video on this

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

1 minute ago, DaJakerBoss said:

Linus did a video on this

DANG I watched this a while ago, and did not think of it, I'll see what I can do with it, and I'll come back with an update later, thanks!

Tech Specs:

There are various ways of going about this but lets start with the question of what type of server is this? How are you running it? VM? Docker? There may be no worthwhile benefit to pinning CPU cores & memory to it.

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

There are various ways of going about this but lets start with the question of what type of server is this? How are you running it? VM? Docker? There may be no worthwhile benefit to pinning CPU cores & memory to it.

Server would be hosted with a partition on my secondary hard drive, (500 GB outta 2TB) It would be for hosting mini servers for Five M, and Minecraft (Testing stuff on both and would also allow other people to join since it's not possible otherwise from experience) I have attempted what happened in the video above and that is not really useful except for the unraid, (Also not really useful since I don't have another GPU). 

Tech Specs:

2 minutes ago, Dalevine1024 said:

Server would be hosted with a partition on my secondary hard drive, (500 GB outta 2TB) It would be for hosting mini servers for Five M, and Minecraft (Testing stuff on both and would also allow other people to join since it's not possible otherwise from experience) I have attempted what happened in the video above and that is not really useful except for the unraid, (Also not really useful since I don't have another GPU). 

I don't know what CPU pinning functionality windows has but you can give emosun's suggestion a try. It'll be your easiest option by far.

Your next choice is running a hypervisor. You could get away with one GPU if the hypervisor uses a WebUI but then you're out a console interface if something stops working and you lose SSH access.

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I don't know what CPU pinning functionality windows has but you can give emosun's suggestion a try. It'll be your easiest option by far.

Your next choice is running a hypervisor. You could get away with one GPU if the hypervisor uses a WebUI but then you're out a console interface if something stops working and you lose SSH access.

So, would a Hyper-V/VM give me the ability to Specify what cores to use, like instead of the first 6 cores, use the last 6 cores which are not utilized unless max utilization occurs? Also would I be able to set up a specific IP Address for that VM to utilize with a 3rd party file explorer like FileZilla? 

Tech Specs:

2 hours ago, emosun said:

you can just set the cpu affinity in task manager to whatever programs you are using

I have been looking and I can not find the CPU Affinity setting in task manager, and I can not find a way to get the setting available for usage.
(Photo of my Task manager) https://prnt.sc/xj5jxg

Found it!

Tech Specs:

31 minutes ago, Dalevine1024 said:

With a hypervisor you can assign physical cores to virtual machines so no matter what you do on one host their activity doesn't influence the other. Your game servers would run off their own OS instance and can be setup with a Static IP. Accessing them for file sharing (SMB/NFS/SSH/SFTP/etc) would be doable assuming you set it up on the VM side. You may have to create your own network bridge before you do that though.