Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is my third time around here. With good news. I got my PC to finally boot. I found the culprit. The two front fans were preventing the computer from booting. I had to paper clip method my PSU. I believe I'm hooking them up wrong because I'm a noob at all of this. I got my whole computer together though and working well. Just the fact that the cable management sucks at this moment and none of the sides are on. To give it the best possible airflow. I'm worried about temps though. I get 30c on idle after I've been using it for a while. When I'm playing light games like Minecraft I get around 50c with stuff in the background. I'm only working with the one back fan that goes out and the CPU cooler fan. It still seems to be doing the job, but for how long? It's also winter and freezing so the temperature is cold which is probably helpful too. The thermal paste application was meh because I stuck with the stock one. It was enough to cover the middle, but there is a little bit left to cover. I have thermal paste coming in the mail around next month so I can change it. To troubleshoot it from the start I paper clipped my PSU and took the motherboard out with nothing but the bare minimum. It ran fine and then I put it back into the case and tried again. Then I added the fans and it stopped working again. I had to paperclip the PSU again because of it. I stopped trying to do it because I don't want to risk hurting anything. The back fan was fine to work with because it was the normal 3 pin. The two fans come piggybacked together with this weird connector. image.jpeg.1b33a82eb8ab1db3af1d8e8dbf48a85d.jpeg

I was confused as where to plug them in so I plugged them in piggybacked to the PSU. Basically meaning they were plugged into each other. To me that sounds really stupid now that I think of it. I'll also take any criticism for my stupidity. On the manuals it doesn't show how to plug those fans in, so if anybody could show me how that would be helpful. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NoxiousTed said:

I get 30c on idle after I've been using it for a while. When I'm playing light games like Minecraft I get around 50c with stuff in the background

i'm quite jealous about these temps, i get 50°C idle and under heavy load it spikes to 70°C

your temps are nothing to worry about in fact they're pretty good

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, flashiling said:

i'm quite jealous about these temps, i get 50°C idle and under heavy load it spikes to 70°C

your temps are nothing to worry about in fact they're pretty good

I didn't think they were actually that good. I was quite worried. I haven't done any load testing because I'm afraid this isn't enough cooling power to handle it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NoxiousTed said:

I didn't think they were actually that good. I was quite worried. I haven't done any load testing because I'm afraid this isn't enough cooling power to handle it.

do you have a fan on your cpu? and is there thermal paste on the cpu too? (i assume there are because of the temps).

if so theres a good chance your cpu will be fine.

what cpu and what cooler are you using?

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My overclocked 5930k has an AIO on it and 2 fans and under large loads it goes up to 80C (though I'm suspecting the pump might be on it's way out) and idles at 40C. You're fine. I'm also in a pretty cold environment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, flashiling said:

do you have a fan on your cpu? and is there thermal paste on the cpu too? (i assume there are because of the temps).

if so theres a good chance your cpu will be fine.

what cpu and what cooler are you using?

I'm using the stock cooler. I only have one fan which is the back fan. It's pushing air out. I have my room fan on the PC as well. It's always freezing in my room, so I don't believe it would just blow up. I just don't want the fateful PC randomly turning off because it's too hot.

 

Here is my build:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NoxiousTed said:

I'm using the stock cooler. I only have one fan which is the back fan. It's pushing air out. I have my room fan on the PC as well. It's always freezing in my room, so I don't believe it would just blow up. I just don't want the fateful PC randomly turning off because it's too hot.

 

Here is my build:

 

oh buddy worry not.

i've had a laptop cpu reach 102°C and it didn't turn off, ald i've had it on 86°C+ for long periods of time, and it only took damage after 4-5 years of HEAVY use.

so you shouldn't worry about that 🙂

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Man I feel old when someone comment that a standard molex connector is "weird" 😛

 

Back in the stone age, when I still built computers, those where the connectors used for delivering power to: Floppy drives, CD/DVD drives, HDD, All fans except CPU and GPU fan. 

 

I remember not having enough molex connectors for my case fans so I simply wired multiple fans into a single molex connector. 

 

Oh and forget any form of fan speed control back then, all fans where either on (plugged in) or off (disconnected). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we have some more info about these fans? 

 

What make/models are they, where did you get them from and how are you connecting them? Do you have any pictures of them in situ?

 

How do you want the airflow in your case to work? 

 

Hopefully the above will allow us to aid you more.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Spindel said:

Man I feel old when someone comment that a standard molex connector is "weird" 😛

Yeah... 😛 

 

6 hours ago, NoxiousTed said:

The two fans come piggybacked together with this weird connector.

It is called Molex. Once upon a time that was our only interface to connect everything except the motherboard and video card to power. Do you want to see something even more weird?

 

Spoiler

spacer.png

By the way, your temps are fine.

TuringMachine

Ryzen 5 3600x - Asus Strix B450-F - Asus ROG RTX 2060S Strix AD - HyperX Predator 3200 2x8 GB DDR4 - Phanteks P400S - Corsair RM 650x - BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 - Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB SSD - 2x Samsung QVO 1TB SSD (RAID 0) - Seagate Barracuda 3TB

 

Quote

"If the genius of invention were to reveal tomorrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought."

  -Nikola Tesla, New York, May 16, 1907
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Yeah... 😛 

 

It is called Molex. Once upon a time that was our only interface to connect everything except the motherboard and video card to power. Do you want to see something even more weird?

 

  Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

By the way, your temps are fine.

Wait until these young ones learn about that a lot of CPUs used to come with bare dies back in the day. 

 

Oh those where the days, here is a picture of a real CPU and how to OC it without fancy menus in the BIOSiu.jpeg.9a4195bb30e7816c09241103aba7f461.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

Can we have some more info about these fans? 

 

What make/models are they, where did you get them from and how are you connecting them? Do you have any pictures of them in situ?

 

How do you want the airflow in your case to work? 

 

Hopefully the above will allow us to aid you more.

They are the stock case fans. Here is my case: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P23M99T?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1 The front two fans are molex apparently. They are plugged into each other and I found a molex connector in the back. So I just plugged it into there and then plugged the fan end into the Cha_2. Every time I do that it refuses to boot and it resets my power supply to where it doesn't work until I paper clip it. Maybe they aren't supposed to be connected together? There is a cord with two molexes that goes to a fan cable. I think I was overloading it by plugging them together in. If you need photos I can provide them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NoxiousTed said:

 It's also winter and freezing so the temperature is cold which is probably helpful too.

Freezing inside the house? If thats the case, I feel you. My apartments heating and -25C temps took a match and heating lost it. Its been 17C for a week now.

 

Ypur temps are fine.

 

10 hours ago, NoxiousTed said:

I was confused as where to plug them in so I plugged them in piggybacked to the PSU. Basically meaning they were plugged into each other. To me that sounds really stupid now that I think of it. I'll also take any criticism for my stupidity. On the manuals it doesn't show how to plug those fans in, so if anybody could show me how that would be helpful. 

So if the fans are issue, how were they connected before? Having two powered on single molex is fine. Molex can easily power at least 8-10 fans.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Freezing inside the house? If thats the case, I feel you. My apartments heating and -25C temps took a match and heating lost it. Its been 17C for a week now.

 

Ypur temps are fine.

 

So if the fans are issue, how were they connected before? Having two powered on single molex is fine. Molex can easily power at least 8-10 fans.

There is a cord from the PSU that has a molex to a molex and then to a fan connector. I went with the best guess and plugged them into one of the molexes. Then I plugged the fan part into the motherboard. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NoxiousTed said:

There is a cord from the PSU that has a molex to a molex and then to a fan connector. I went with the best guess and plugged them into one of the molexes. Then I plugged the fan part into the motherboard. 

Did you try with just the fan part plugged in? You aren't supposed to plug both of those, they are for same purpose. To power fan. If you are unlucky, the mobo headers might have been blown by this misconnection. But other than that, might not have any bad effects since its booting.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Did you try with just the fan part plugged in? You aren't supposed to plug both of those, they are for same purpose. To power fan. If you are unlucky, the mobo headers might have been blown by this misconnection. But other than that, might not have any bad effects since its booting.

The PC is running great. I've been using it for hours with no problems. I've turned it off and on and did updates to see if anything changed and nothing bad has happened. The temps stay on 50c when I'm playing games and listening to music or YouTube. The highest the temps have ever gotten is like straight 60c. I have my stand fan pushing air into the case because there is no intake. The two fans in the front are supposed to be the intake. I haven't OC or messed with any settings because I'm a noob and I'm afraid to blow it up. So it's all on default. This is the best picture I could find of what the PSU cable looks like. Its molex to molex and then to fan connector. The fans connector is two molexes put together. (I believe both fans are plugged into each other). It doesn't have any fan connectors. Amazon.com: Phobya Adapter Cable, 4-Pin Molex to 4-Pin (PWM), 30cm,  Sleeved, Black: Electronics

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NoxiousTed said:

Amazon.com: Phobya Adapter Cable, 4-Pin Molex to 4-Pin (PWM), 30cm,  Sleeved, Black: Electronics

Thats fan to molex adapter. Its normal that devices which are low power have that kind of breakoff so you can daisy-chain them. I got from the previous reply that fan had also two cables, like:

61828yEIg6L._AC_SL1245_.jpg

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Thats fan to molex adapter. Its normal that devices which are low power have that kind of breakoff so you can daisy-chain them. I got from the previous reply that fan had also two cables, like:

61828yEIg6L._AC_SL1245_.jpg

Am I connecting them wrong? I don't know why fans would cause a computer not to boot. Connections is really the only probably I've had with this build. The CPU, RAM, SSD, and the motherboard have given me no problems with installation. Except the stock cooler because it clicks in and doesn't screw so its finnicky, but I made sure to get it in there as good as I can. I don't know if it would be just easier to buy a new fan with a normal connector or not. I'd only have one fan running at that point, but it would be better than nothing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Thats fan to molex adapter. Its normal that devices which are low power have that kind of breakoff so you can daisy-chain them. I got from the previous reply that fan had also two cables, like:

61828yEIg6L._AC_SL1245_.jpg

Also here is a look at my build from the front and back. I know the cable management is bad. I've been working on it for 2 days and I'm just glad it actually boots. I've been without a computer for a month or more because I gave up my old one to a family member. I don't know if the SSD was really meant to be mounted in the back, but it works and it keeps it out of the way of my little wires in the front. This isn't anything permanent as I plan to add a graphics card later and probably change out the CPU cooler sometime. The airflow is powerful as well with the fan up to it. The fans are pretty quiet. Here is the temps right now just hanging out on Google Chrome and watching YouTube with a Discord call in the background. image.png.200f5af4eed6961439401b8429bb4a6c.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, NoxiousTed said:

Am I connecting them wrong? I don't know why fans would cause a computer not to boot. Connections is really the only probably I've had with this build. The CPU, RAM, SSD, and the motherboard have given me no problems with installation. Except the stock cooler because it clicks in and doesn't screw so its finnicky, but I made sure to get it in there as good as I can. I don't know if it would be just easier to buy a new fan with a normal connector or not. I'd only have one fan running at that point, but it would be better than nothing. 

Shorting something could be reason for system not booting. So if your fans would have both molex and 3pin/4pin connectors, connecting them both could result as short.circuit.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Shorting something could be reason for system not booting. So if your fans would have both molex and 3pin/4pin connectors, connecting them both could result as short.circuit.

Do you believe one front fan would be enough? My build isn't a beast and even with the graphics card it won't be. I plan on a 1650 super. I mostly wanna play games like GTA V, Minecraft, CS:GO. Some of the older games. I don't plan to push this PC over the edge, but just some casual stuff. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, NoxiousTed said:

Do you believe one front fan would be enough? My build isn't a beast and even with the graphics card it won't be. I plan on a 1650 super. I mostly wanna play games like GTA V, Minecraft, CS:GO. Some of the older games. I don't plan to push this PC over the edge, but just some casual stuff. 

If you must go with single fan, rear exhaust. If you would have tower cooler, then intake could be fine too. But exhaust is more important than intake.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

If you must go with single fan, rear exhaust. If you would have tower cooler, then intake could be fine too. But exhaust is more important than intake.

Thank you! I won't mess with these fans and just buy a new one. The temperature right now is really good and it is able to drop temperatures fast. After closing a game within a few minutes it drops from 50c to 29ish c.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Newegg

×