Plugged 6-pin PCE-I Into 8-pin cpu

DougyDoug
Go to solution Solved by toni2,

with a lot of luck you may just confused the bios. to be sure clear cmos and pray

but i have to agree with the others, you may fired the board or/and cpu

I plugged in the 6-pin by mistake with out really thinking and it snapped right in with no force. The Computer didn't turn on or make any noise/smells. I quickly realized that the plug was the problem so I removed it and it turned on. Then I hooked up the two 4 Pins and turn it on again and it started again. All fans are working, light/led on mother board are on. Check for burning on the board doesn't seem to be any marks or smell coming from anything. but the computer won't post an display off the gpu or onboard graphics. Don't know if the messed something up by doing that or if I missed something else. I was right next to it when I first tired turning it on and there was zero sounds or smells It just seems like it grounded it self out.

20210121_190528.jpg

20210121_190544-1.jpg

20210121_190744.jpg

20210121_190749-1.jpg

If it's not doing anything the chances that you killed it are very very high. Might wanna try the take it out of the case and put it on a cardboard box thing and see if you can get any life of it that way. What are the specs?

Ignore PSU side since it's probably different for your PSU. You sent power where there was supposed to be ground. There's a very high chance you fried something. 

Spoiler

PSU_Pinout_Voltage_-_Corsair_Type_4.png?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

If it's not doing anything the chances that you killed it are very very high. Might wanna try the take it out of the case and put it on a cardboard box thing and see if you can get any life of it that way. What are the specs?

I'm building it for my nephew out of components from my old pc but the psu is new.

I5 6600k CPU

Asus Z170-a motherboard

Rosewill 750w PSU

Gtx 1050ti GPU

Hyperx DDR4 Ram

500 GB ssd

1 TB HDD

1 minute ago, DougyDoug said:

I'm building it for my nephew out of components from my old pc but the psu is new.

I5 6600k CPU

Asus Z170-a motherboard

Rosewill 750w PSU

Gtx 1050ti GPU

Hyperx DDR4 Ram

500 GB ssd

1 TB HDD

Should all work together. What rosewill psu? They are usually on the cheaper and crappier side so probably didn't have any form of protection against this built it. Pretty darn high chance the board is fried.

Just now, jaslion said:

Should all work together. What rosewill psu? They are usually on the cheaper and crappier side so probably didn't have any form of protection against this built it. Pretty darn high chance the board is fried.

https://www.newegg.ca/rosewill-arc-750-continuous-750w-at-40-celsius-degrees/p/N82E16817182294?Item=N82E16817182294&utm_medium=TraEmail&utm_source=TEMC-Shipping-New-Tracking-Notification-Responsive-US&cm_mmc=TEMC-Shipping-New-Tracking-Notification-Responsive-US-_-N82E16817182294

You probably fried the traces on the Board leading to the CPU, the CPU itself, or the plug on the board. Either way, you'll probably have to replace something a bit expensive.

with a lot of luck you may just confused the bios. to be sure clear cmos and pray

30 minutes ago, toni2 said:

It booted up after I reset it and got into the bios Thanks you! Guess I got some luck after all hahaha

34 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Oh yeah pretty low end psu the board is 99.99% sure for the bin.

Thank you for your help computer isn't fired did what Toni2 said and it booted up.

13 minutes ago, DougyDoug said:

Thank you for your help computer isn't fired did what Toni2 said and it booted up.

Glad I could help. have a nice evening