No CPU_OPT fan control in BIOS, but fan spins fine

WhitetailAni

I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but here we go:
I took the fan off of a Phenom stock cooler and zip-tied it to my SpinQ, now called the SpinQ++. I connected it to the CPU_OPT header, but I think I might have a problem.

My SpinQ does not have a PWM wire. It's a 3-pin fan cooler.

My AMD stock fan does have a PWM wire. It's a 4-pin fan.

Before I had it hooked up, in QFan Control in my BIOS, there was a tab for CPU_OPT.

There is no longer a tab for it.

The fan spins fine, and it does what I want it to do - push more air through my case, I'm just wondering why I can't control it.

EDIT:
The SpinQ++ in all its glory:

Spoiler

345026351_20210121_1611431.thumb.jpg.66e77c9a58477d7fb732dda530bf6a84.jpg

elephants

if it's a 3 pin fan, it doesn't support the PWM standard or pulse width modulation. You can't pulse voltage through it, only constant voltage. That's why you can't control it the same way as a 4 pin fan. 

My guess is that it's synced with the CPU header. I have no control of mine either so that's my guess.

It's tied to the fan curve I set for that, then - 50% until 60C, then 60% until it hits 70C, then 100%.

I think it was the Wraith Stealth of the time, though, so I won't be able to hear it.

elephants

As your MB has a dedicated pump header, cpu opt header is probably coupled with the cpu header. However sometime boards may allow you to change it so you can control each one separately under the monitoring then qfan subcategory. Also an fans that are dc should be set to as so in the bios, same for pwm.  This will allow for more control over your fans and better sound, 

3 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

As your MB has a dedicated pump header, cpu opt header is probably coupled with the cpu header. However sometime boards may allow you to change it so you can control each one separately under the monitoring then qfan subcategory. Also an fans that are dc should be set to as so in the bios, same for pwm.  This will allow for more control over your fans and better sound, 

Thanks!

elephants