High End 1080p or Budget 1440p monitor?

_lucalink

I am building a new setup hopefully using an RTX 3060ti or RTX 3070 and I need a bit of help deciding on a monitor. I am stuck trying to decide whether to get a high end 25" 1080p monitor like the Alienware 240hz 25" model which i can get for £320 or a lower end 1440p 144hz 27" monitor like the AOC one that Linus reviewed. I have a budget of £300-340 for the monitor and would like at least 144hz refresh rate, IPS or VA panel with good colour accuracy, maximum 25" for 1080p models and I would like no larger than 27 unless it is an ultrawide, in which case I can go up to 34". Any advice would be really great. 

Well it really depends what games you want to play. If you are more into triple A or games with story and demanding graphics, 1440p is definitely the way to go with the GPUs you listed. If you are more into competitive gaming like CSGO, you could even wait for the 360hz hype to calm down, in my country the asus 360hz monitor (without nvidia reflex) is already coming close to 400 euro. So it's up to you really. There is no ultimate choice here.

depends on what you play and what level. few people see the difference between 144hz and 240hz, and it's only beneficial at very high end competitive gaming, in competitions. most AAA games won't run at 240hz regardless of what cpu and gpu you use.

so unless you are a pro gamer that plays cs:go or dota for a living, you're better off with a 1440p 144hz screen

9 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

depends on what you play and what level. few people see the difference between 144hz and 240hz, and it's only beneficial at very high end competitive gaming, in competitions. most AAA games won't run at 240hz regardless of what cpu and gpu you use.

so unless you are a pro gamer that plays cs:go or dota for a living, you're better off with a 1440p 144hz screen

11 minutes ago, Entityy said:

Well it really depends what games you want to play. If you are more into triple A or games with story and demanding graphics, 1440p is definitely the way to go with the GPUs you listed. If you are more into competitive gaming like CSGO, you could even wait for the 360hz hype to calm down, in my country the asus 360hz monitor (without nvidia reflex) is already coming close to 400 euro. So it's up to you really. There is no ultimate choice here.

I'm definitely not pro but i play quite a wide range of games. It was more a question of quality as the 1440p ones i can afford are relatively low end 1440p ones, but the 1080p ones are quite high end so i was wondering if they would last longer or something.

16 minutes ago, _lucalink said:

I'm definitely not pro but i play quite a wide range of games. It was more a question of quality as the 1440p ones i can afford are relatively low end 1440p ones, but the 1080p ones are quite high end so i was wondering if they would last longer or something.

Well, the image quality of an 1440p should pretty much be objectively better than any 1080p. As for lasting long, as long as you pick the brand carefully you should be fine.