Windows Apps Taking a lot of space

MrDollarBills
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Run check disk on your drive... open a command prompt and type 

chkdsk c:

Applications can "reserve" disk space for a file, but not fill that file with data.  

Also, files can use more space than actual size ... for example if you open a file in notepad and type two letters and save the document, that file is not gonna be 2 bytes, it's gonna be at least 512 bytes.  (well, fineprint, technically it will be 0, because windows uses some tricks and stores those 2 bytes in the same area where the file name and the dates and attributes are stored until there's at least something like 50-100 characters in the file, then actual space on disk is reserved and only then at least 512 bytes are given to this file)

So what I'm trying to say is that it's perfectly normal for "size" to be one value and for size on disk to be larger. Size on disk should always be multiples of 512 or 4096 or something like that... the minimum unit that can be reserved for a file on a drive.... but such huge difference is not normal. 

You may also have there some system files, which windows explorer can't access to determine the file size (to add on the size line) but it can determine size on disk from information stored in the file system so that could explain some discrepancy.

Check the drive for errors, you start from there and then you see what else 

Ive been experiencing this issue and i  cant figure out why please help

Capture.PNG

Just now, VioletBiscuit56 said:

Ok so whats the problem

I dont have anything installed in it worth 70GB and its causing issues with other windows apps like windows store crashing 

1 minute ago, VioletBiscuit56 said:

No, the space it is using is 2Gb. that is the folder where any apps you download are added. I don't see why it would cause it to crash

I get that what i dont get is why is it occupying 78GB on my ssd 

chkdsk c:

Applications can "reserve" disk space for a file, but not fill that file with data.  

Also, files can use more space than actual size ... for example if you open a file in notepad and type two letters and save the document, that file is not gonna be 2 bytes, it's gonna be at least 512 bytes.  (well, fineprint, technically it will be 0, because windows uses some tricks and stores those 2 bytes in the same area where the file name and the dates and attributes are stored until there's at least something like 50-100 characters in the file, then actual space on disk is reserved and only then at least 512 bytes are given to this file)

So what I'm trying to say is that it's perfectly normal for "size" to be one value and for size on disk to be larger. Size on disk should always be multiples of 512 or 4096 or something like that... the minimum unit that can be reserved for a file on a drive.... but such huge difference is not normal. 

You may also have there some system files, which windows explorer can't access to determine the file size (to add on the size line) but it can determine size on disk from information stored in the file system so that could explain some discrepancy.

15 minutes ago, mariushm said:

chkdsk c:

Thanks a lot it was actually reserving space for an app that was installing and now its about the same on both size and size on disk 

I actually have another issue  with the fact that my windows apps have all turned into this 

Capture.2.PNG