750w or 850w?

FilthyMcnasty9

I have a 8700 (non K) and a 3080 Tuf, currently using 600 High power PSU.

Should I upgrade to 750w or 850w PSU?

If you are going to upgrade get an 850W.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

4 minutes ago, FilthyMcnasty9 said:

I have a 8700 (non K) and a 30870 Tuf, currently using 650 High power PSU.

a 650w should be fine but If you want to upgrade just get a 850w, It should sustain your system for more upgrades down the line. I'd reccomend a antec earthwatts gold or a enermax revolution D.F. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

if upgrading is necsisary i would recommend a 850w, future proof your system while your at it.

1 minute ago, Zob said:

if upgrading is necsisary i would recommend a 850w, future proof your system while your at it.

1. Well, It's extremely unlikely that they'd need a upgrade. A 650w should be just fine.

2. There is no such thing as true "future proofing." It's almost certain that your system or components will become irrelevant some time in the future. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Just now, Brok3n But who cares? said:

1. Well, It's extremely unlikely that they'd need a upgrade. A 650w should be just fine.

2. There is no such thing as true "future proofing." It's almost certain that your system or components will become irrelevant some time in the future. 

Fair enough, by future proofing i mean not having to upgrade your psu for the next few  gpu generations and i was saying if they really want to get a new psu i was recommending a 850w.

9 minutes ago, FilthyMcnasty9 said:

I have a 8700 (non K) and a 30870 Tuf, currently using 650 High power PSU.

is it a 3080 or 3070 btw $30-40 savings won't go a long way, even a 650 is enough but the 750 is not the worth an upgrade, if u need to upgrade, go for the 850 will give you some headroom for later

5 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Also, I can't find the Antec but I see he Enermax here, is this it: https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_1938&item_id=174695

Just now, FilthyMcnasty9 said:

Also, I can't find the Antec but I see he Enermax here, is this it: https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_1938&item_id=174695

A little pricey but will do

I'm helping Mcnasty build his pc^^ He's having trouble posting.

He has a 3080 Tuf OC not 3070. Also he has a 600W High Power PSU not 650W. Would you still say 600W is enough or would an upgrade to 850W be enough?

27 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

1.  A 650W wouldn't be fine with a 3080.   The transient spikes are too much.  Should use a 750W.  But since the price between 750W and 850W is usually pretty small, why not the 850W?

2.  Considering people tend to keep their PSU for 10 years even if they upgrade the rest of their PC every other year, there IS such a thing as future proofing.  I don't see the connectors changing on PSUs any time in the next few years.  ATX12VO seems like a good idea, but I don't think it's going to get much adoption.

850W is probably the way to go for him, especially since he might upgrade CPU/Mobo in the next year or so. I've never heard of the ENERMAX. Would you recommend that or a Corsair TX Series TX850M 850W 80 PLUS Gold? Thanks

1 hour ago, FilthyMcnasty9 said:

I have a 8700 (non K) and a 3080 Tuf, currently using 600 High power PSU.

850 watts to be safe

and man you have a scary profile picture its giving me nightmares

Just now, myb54 said:

850 watts to be safe

and man you have a scary profile picture its giving me nightmares

thanks man! hahaha thats my gf on a snapchat filter