Using a secondary graphics card as a display output.

So I've recently upgraded my GPU and I don't have a DVI port on it anymore. Since I can only run 144hz on my monitor through DVI, I was wondering If I could keep my old GPU in a second PCI slot just as a video output while the primary GPU does all the work. I've tried to make it work but the pc just uses the GPU I plug the display into as the primary graphics card and puts all the load on it.

A quick google search reveals that there should be a "Select preferred graphics processor" option in my Nvidia control panel but that seems to be missing. I've tried reinstalling drivers but that didn't help either

Many people from other forums have recommended a Dvi to Dp/Hdmi adaptor. An active adaptor that supports 144hz will cost me over a hundred dollars and It would just be smarter for me to just buy a new monitor xP 
1st GPU is an Rtx 2080 and the second GPU is a Gtx 770 if that helps.

Thanks!

Attached a picture of the rig just cuz I think 2 Gpus in one pc always look super awesome! 

photo_2021-01-20 12.47.53.jpeg

As far as I know, it should work.

I'm running dual GPUs, each with its own monitor (same GPU, not in SLI because motherboard doesn't support it) and there isn't a "select preferred graphics processor" option in my NVIDIA control panel either, and what I've noticed is that when I move a video or stream from one monitor to another, the other GPU takes over.

Then again, this could be because I'm running identical GPUs (down to the VRAM manufacturer - Elpida).

elephants

35 minutes ago, Yashpashar said:

An active adaptor that supports 144hz

I stumbled upon this thread that might be helpful but it is quite old - 

10 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

As far as I know, it should work.

I'm running dual GPUs, each with its own monitor (same GPU, not in SLI because motherboard doesn't support it) and there isn't a "select preferred graphics processor" option in my NVIDIA control panel either, and what I've noticed is that when I move a video or stream from one monitor to another, the other GPU takes over.

Then again, this could be because I'm running identical GPUs (down to the VRAM manufacturer - Elpida).

What you actually mentioned is the problem I'm having. I don't want the second gpu to take over! If I connect my monitor to the gtx 770 I'll be getting 144hz but it's the 770 that's running the game! I want to be connected to the 770 while my 2080 is doing all the work which I'm starting to think that it's not possible to do xP 

Try disabling the GTX 770.

I tried it and I still got display on both of my monitors, but one of my GPUs was no longer running.

elephants

30 minutes ago, OliTheBear said:

I stumbled upon this thread that might be helpful but it is quite old - 

I guess I'll just try an active adapter then. Thanks for the link! 

26 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Try disabling the GTX 770.

I tried it and I still got display on both of my monitors, but one of my GPUs was no longer running.

How did you disable it??? 

Just now, Yashpashar said:

How did you disable it??? 

Device Manager.

Don't uninstall it - just disable it.

elephants

5 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Device Manager.

Oohhhhh I see... I'll try it when I get home! Thanks for the tip 😄

7 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Device Manager.

Didn't work, the gpu just doesn't output anything when I disable it :c 

8 hours ago, Yashpashar said:

So I've recently upgraded my GPU and I don't have a DVI port on it anymore. Since I can only run 144hz on my monitor through DVI, I was wondering If I could keep my old GPU in a second PCI slot just as a video output while the primary GPU does all the work. I've tried to make it work but the pc just uses the GPU I plug the display into as the primary graphics card and puts all the load on it.

If I understand correctly you have a GTX 770 and a GTX 2080. You have your primary display connected to the GTX 770 in order to use its 144Hz, but you want the GTX 2080 to be doing all the graphics processing. I am pretty sure this is not going to work.  

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here