HDD to SSD cloned, now INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE keeps coming up

frythan

I'm helping a friend upgrade their laptop from a hard drive to solid state. Pretty straightforward right?
Well, since cloning the drive I've been unable to boot to the new one. I also can't boot to the old one anymore.

It's a Dell Inspiron P30e. Bitlocker was on and I entered the bitlocker key and it just BSODs on the new drive. It then asked for the key on the old drive, it accepted the key, and then I get the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE bsod. 
I'm genuinely at a loss as to what to do at the moment and am very frustrated that something I've done many times before with no problems is now giving me issues that I don't know how to fix. I'm currently at the repair options. 

Try loading the windows media creation tool onto a USB stick and plug that in and switch it on, it should give you the option to repair windows which might help

You need to manually unlock or remove bitlocker in windows before cloning, if you do not you're just cloning encrypted data, most programs shouldn't even let you clone locked encrypted drives. I always fully remove bitlocker on the computer before cloning drives just so I don't even risk it. You can try fixing the boot either through CMD or with Macrium Reflects boot fix utility. If that doesn't work you may have borked your friends data. Cloning from a HDD to SSD is straightforward but not with bitlocker encryption, since you had to enter the bitlocker key after cloning I'm guessing you left it locked and did not remove the encryption nor unlock it. If the boot fix does not work your next step is try data recovery but with the bitlocker on the drive that may not work. With bitlocker enabled and you are unable to turn it off or unlock it to access the data it wont be retrievable. This is why I recommend people not to use encryption unless they absolutely have to. It's so common for this to happen or people to forget or lose their recovery/unlock key and lose all of their data that it's something I always check for now especially with companies like Dell sending computers out with it enabled by default.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

I have absolutely no idea how I got back in, but I was able to get back in and turn off the bitlocker. Cloning again, hopefully with no issues this time. 
I tried repairing with USB, didn't work. Tried repairing by logging into their admin profiles but it wouldn't accept any of the passwords they gave me. Then tried booting into safe mode, again wouldn't accept any of the passwords they gave me. Restarted and it booted up. I'll take the win here.

Okay so I turned off Bitlocker and then cloned the SSD, and now I am still getting INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. All the troubleshooting I can find I've done. Now Dell had me set the file path in the bios for the boot drive. Could that be it? Is it just Dell being dumb? Am I being dumb?