port forwarding issue

the gamer that is bad

i am compleet new to servers and networking i am having trouble connecting to my Minecraft server while not local i am running it on a pi 4 8gb model running the balena minecraft server any help would be appreciated 

3 hours ago, RageTester said:

It might be an extra paid feature depending on your ISP...

my isp lets me port forward as far as i can tell

13 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

my isp lets me port forward as far as i can tell

Who is your ISP? What country? How are you getting internet (4G, Cable/Coax, DSL, Fiber, etc)?

How are you testing remote access?

It's possible you've either configured it incorrectly, are behind CG-NAT, or are missing something else.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

49 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Who is your ISP? What country? How are you getting internet (4G, Cable/Coax, DSL, Fiber, etc)?

How are you testing remote access?

It's possible you've either configured it incorrectly, are behind CG-NAT, or are missing something else.

spectrum cable and i am testing by going on my laptop hopping on my hotspot and trying to connect to the server and i have no idea on the last one but i can connect locally 

13 hours ago, the gamer that is bad said:

spectrum cable and i am testing by going on my laptop hopping on my hotspot and trying to connect to the server and i have no idea on the last one but i can connect locally 

ok, you're not behind CGNAT at home because I know Spectrum doesn't use CG-NAT on their cable lines. With the server running can you check the port and see if it shows open on one of the port checker sites.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

ok, you're not behind CGNAT at home because I know Spectrum doesn't use CG-NAT on their cable lines. With the server running can you check the port and see if it shows open on one of the port checker sites.

how would i do that

How did you configure the port forward?

In your router, you need to forward port 25565 TCP from your WAN IP to your internal IP of the Minecraft server.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

How did you configure the port forward?

In your router, you need to forward port 25565 TCP from your WAN IP to your internal IP of the Minecraft server.

i tried 25565 and all others i could find and what is a wan ip

5 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

It's your public IP address, when you google what's my IPv4 address it should return that address. Are you not using your public IP to access the Minecraft server but a 192.168.x.x address instead?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

41 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

You have an IP adress on the outside, that's the WAN IP. Because IPv4 addresses are scarce, you don't get an WAN IP for every device on your network.

Your router applies NAT, network address translation. The way that works is like this:

- Your friends connect to your Minecraft server via your WAN IP. Your router sees the request and forwards it to your Minecraft server

- The Minecraft server accepts the connection and sends back the okay signal via your router, which replies back to your friends.

Your friends don't see the internal IP of your server, they only communicate to the NAT host, your router, which does the translation between WAN and LAN, or local and remote IP addresses.

Now back to the issue at hand:

Once the forward has been made in your router, connect to your WAN IP (from whatsmyip.org for instance) at port 25565. If the forward is setup correctly, it should connect.

In Minecraft, in add server, it'll look like this for instance:

69.69.4.20:25565

If you try to remote in through 192.x, 172.x. or 10.x. it's usually a local IP range and that is not routable over the internet.

If you have more than one router in your network, with different networks (so it's in router mode, not access point or bridge), you have a double NAT and need to forward the port more than once. Once from main router (usually the ISP provided router/modem router) to the secondary router (and from secondary to tertiary etc.) and then from that router to the Minecraft server, assuming that's the one it's connected to.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro