Windows 10 machine Cannot See Others On Network.

When I open my network panel, I can no longer see any other machines on my network.  Printers, yes...  media devices..  no problem...  but actual computers?  Nope...  nothing.  https://youtu.be/jlPwtpZsamM

however, they are clearly all still there, as A) My wife's machine can see them all, and B) I can access them via mapped network drive folders  https://youtu.be/pduGRMHk-Ns

The only machine I can see is my daughter's laptop, which connects via WiFi.  Every other machine is Ethernet connected.

Network file sharing is on. All relevant services are running.  SMB file sharing support and all relevant services are on and running.  All machines use a static IP on the home network.  My wife can see everything, so whatever has happened has happened to my machine...  not anything else...  or the router.

Any idea anyone?  This is driving me up the wall!

Quick test, try to connect to it manually by typing the IP address on the address bar.

\\192.168.1.1 for example.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

Check the workgroup of the machine matches all the others on your network.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

Quick test, try to connect to it manually by typing the IP address on the address bar.

\\192.168.1.1 for example.

As the video shows... I can connect to everything..  no problem.  I just can't see it in the network panel, so I can't browse shared folders unless it's via mapped network drives I've already set up. 

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Check the workgroup of the machine matches all the others on your network.

Yep... all set to the same.

Just to add...   this only started happening yesterday.  Prior to that, everything was peachy...   nothing has changed...  no updates...  now nothing.

I assume you know how to re set all your IPs again?

Open CMD as admin and issue these three commands, one at a time and in any order you like.

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
ipconfig /flushdns

Then reboot your computer and go and plug in all your IPs again.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I assume you know how to re set all your IPs again?

Open CMD as admin and issue these three commands, one at a time and in any order you like.

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
ipconfig /flushdns

Then reboot your computer and go and plug in all your IPs again.

I'm afraid that didn't help  😞

1 minute ago, pookeyhead said:

I'm afraid that didn't help  😞

Interesting, if resetting the entire TCP/IP stack didn't help then there's either something going on outside of the machine or possibly a driver issue.

This is weird.  I can access already existing mapped network drives, both to my wife's machine, and my server, but that's the only way I can connect.  As no other devices show up in "Network" I can't actually browse or access anything that hasn't already been mapped as a drive.  This is causing me an issue, as back up folders on the server, or its mirror server aren't already mapped...  I normally just "browse" to those folders....  now I obviously can't.   Using already existing mapped drives though, I can connect perfectly.  The only thing wrong is the actual computers do not show up in the network folder.  Any pre-existing connections still work.

Can you reach them by \\computername?

The network panel often doesn't show devices even if they're visible.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Can you reach them by \\computername?

The network panel often doesn't show devices even if they're visible.

Some progress...    I can access my server's mirror server this way, but not the server itself. The difference there being that the server is a windows machine, and the mirror of it is a NAS device with its own, probably UNIX based OS.

Check on the server that the network hasn't flipped itself to "public". I.e. go to the network page (on the server) and see if there isn't the yellow bar on top saying discovery is disabled because the network isn't private.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Check on the server that the network hasn't flipped itself to "public". I.e. go to the network page (on the server) and see if there isn't the yellow bar on top saying discovery is disabled because the network isn't private.

You should actually check this on the PC as well.

Thanks for replying, but I already chacked this...   all machines are set to Private network...  file sharing on...    password file sharing off...  and all share the same workgroup.  The only one I can't change these things on is the NAS box...  and although that also doesn't appear I can still access it via \\Moon...  but \\Earth for my main server results in nothing.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

I've checked it on all PCs.

The video showed it was OK on the PC.

Dunno then. Did you reboot the server yet?

F@H

GPD Win 2

Does trying to connect directly to the servers IP instead of its domain name have the same result (so \\192.168.x.x instead of \\Earth)

Does trying to connect directly to the servers IP instead of its domain name have the same result (so \\192.168.x.x instead of \\Earth)

Right... I'm confused now.  Typing the IP works...  typing \\Earth does not.   LOL.    I think I need coffee...   back in a bit.  If I don't walk away for a bit, I'm gonna kick it... and the windowed side is nearest my dominant kicking foot!

9 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

The video showed it was OK on the PC.

Dunno then. Did you reboot the server yet?

Yes it's been rebooted since.

12 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Would this indicate a DNS issue?  Forgive me..  networking is not my strong point.

Just now, pookeyhead said:

Would this indicate a DNS issue?  Forgive me..  networking is not my strong point.

Yeah and since you reset the TCP/IP stack on the machine and flushed its DNS cache the issue has to be external to the machine somewhere.

16 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yeah and since you reset the TCP/IP stack on the machine and flushed its DNS cache the issue has to be external to the machine somewhere.

So...   router then.  Grrr...   Right... that's my afternoon taken care of then. 

Thanks.

Rest the router to factory defaults, and set it up again as if from new, and now everything seems fine.  Thanks for the tips to point me in the right direction.

An update to this:

It woudl appear that whether I can see the other machines on the network depends on whether my NAS is switched on or not.  I brief run-down of my set up here.  I have a PC as a server with a LSI RAID card in it, and set as RAID5.  This is my main back up server.  This server backs up to a RAID5 NAS box every night.  The NAS is set to switch on at 23:00 and switch off at 08:00.  The main server is mirrored to the NAS overnight.    It appears that when the NAS is on, I can see all attached network computers, but when it is off, i can't.

I'm baffled.  Why should my NAS being switched on determine whether all other computers are visible?  However, this is the case. I've tested it thoroughly.  When the NAS is on, everything is peachy...  when it's off.. I can see nothing. 

Why???  😞