Need cooling help for old PC

Filingo

Hello,

*This is a very old system and I'm doing it just for fun in COVID times, I know it's not of much use

I have a very old HP DC5800 SFF. It originally came with Pentium CPU with 65W TDP. I just installed a 10$ Core 2 Quad Q9550 on it, but it has 95W TDP

The PC has a weird cooling system: It has a passive heat sink, with a fan blowing air from 1 inch away, so it's not really enough for this 95W monster

I ran Prime95 and it reached over 80C.. so I had to shut it down

I thought I'd buy it a better LGA775 cooler, but I saw that the LGA775 coolers already came with push-pins, but this HP SFF machine has unique mounting socket for the heatsink - it uses 4 screws (Like AMD AM4 cooler)  - so I guess that's not an option, unless I can find a better cooler for this socket, or convert push-pins to these screws?

The heatsink dimensions are 70x65x55mm (The 70mm is where the air goes through), so I thought I'd get a 70mm fan and stick it to the heatsink somehow, maybe using some adhesive.

But there's another issue: The motherboard only has 1 header for the fan, and it's for that weird fan that is being used both as CPU fan and case fan. Also, the connector of that fan is weird 4-pins, it's not like today's 4 pins. This is the fan: https://www.newegg.com/p/1YF-00B0-001M4 - You can see the connector in the photos

*Is it possible to split this header to two fans, and then I will have 2 PWM fans - one the original "case+cpu" fan, and the second I'll glue to the heatsink? (Can you even split a PWM connector and make use of two fans?)

Some photos of the heatsink and mounting screws / socket:

1a.thumb.jpg.054f10773d4182a28e83217c57506710.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.10b6cc744ab07947d0d58a702d2ed1c1.jpg

connector2.thumb.jpg.e257d4fcf596606a31c29df1cc352c33.jpg

Thanks!

It's still a 4 pin pwm connector. You can look at a pwm fan wiring diagram and always switch the wires around if you have to. Running a splitter should be ok or you can use a fan hub with its own power or use a manual fan controller. Both will probably need to be Molex powered.

As for the cooler I'm sure you could get away with zip tieing almost any tower cooler down to it.

3 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

It's still a 4 pin pwm connector. You can look at a pwm fan wiring diagram and always switch the wires around if you have to. Running a splitter should be ok or you can use a fan hub with its own power or use a manual fan controller. Both will probably need to be Molex powered.

As for the cooler I'm sure you could get away with zip tieing almost any tower cooler down to it.

Thank you. But the plastic notches are different on this connector - and I don't know what to search to find - do you know how it's called? Because regular 4-pin won't fit there

*Also - why would I need molex? 2 fans is too much ?

4 minutes ago, Filingo said:

Thank you. But the plastic notches are different on this connector - and I don't know what to search to find - do you know how it's called? Because regular 4-pin won't fit there

*Also - why would I need molex? 2 fans is too much ?

The notch is different so you have to go to hp to fix it. It a simple wire diagram and a fan or splitter with colored will make it easy to match it up.

What color wired are on the fan? (Hard to see in the pic)

All headers have an amp rating so long that the fan don't pull to many amps it should be fine.

12 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

The notch is different so you have to go to hp to fix it. It a simple wire diagram and a fan or splitter with colored will make it easy to match it up.

What color wired are on the fan? (Hard to see in the pic)

All headers have an amp rating so long that the fan don't pull to many amps it should be fine.

It's blue, black, green and yellow.

**I found this splitter, that seem to have the same connector as above: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000025950485.html

Also,  I found a fan that is 70mm and has the same connector:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32818542755.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.37af64d6DCPqB8&algo_pvid=10a6328a-b563-439e-8f9c-0b7e46789314&algo_expid=10a6328a-b563-439e-8f9c-0b7e46789314-0&btsid=0b0a0ac216110502170264216e0b49&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Do you think that I can simply plug the splitter, and then connect both fans to it? Or it will cause power issues?

Thank you, and just in case I don't want to mess with splitters and zip ties, and I just want to replace the cooler, what should I search for? It's screw-type mounted, not push-pins, the distance between the screws is about 72cm (square) - is this standard? Or something unique for this HP station?

Should be easy to find the heatsink of your choosing will have a compatibility list and hardware to go with it to mount it.

46 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

This one is not compatible

I would look for the largest cooler under 20$

thank u, but why not compatible? in the description it says LGA 775, and the latest review actually uses the same CPU as mine 😄 - Quad Q9550. I did noticed now that the description doesn't say LGA 775 - but can you please take a look at the full description and also the latest review? I think it is compatible.

The only part that's not right is the motherboard connector - the notch is over the 3rd pin and my HP station is wider (the notch is over the 4th pin) - you think wiring are the same and I can simply either cut the plastic piece or get an adapter?

Also - can't get the largest cooler - it's an SFF (small form factor) and max height is 9cm and everything inside is crowded

I got some bad new.

I was reviewing this some more and the compasitors around the cpu are to close. None of the coolers are going to work without zip ties as the mounting hardware will conflict .

11 hours ago, narrdarr said:

I got some bad new.

I was reviewing this some more and the compasitors around the cpu are to close. None of the coolers are going to work without zip ties as the mounting hardware will conflict .

you are right, the capacitors are very close. So I measured and I have spacing for a 70x70x15mm fan (25mm will hit the capacitors)

Do you have any specific recommendation for a good silent fan at these measurements?

*The PSU does not even have Molex, only SATA! lol.. So I'll need a SATA to fan connector as well

**Also, this heatsink seem to not have anywhere to tie the zipties to it, how would you recommend I do it

1.thumb.jpeg.e939f80fc487cde2f978dbb54b31d71f.jpeg

2.thumb.jpeg.bca3ce86d07678b4bcb7c02094cecf89.jpeg

Id just use an 80mm. Then use zip ties to go around the heatsink. There are sata the fan adapters you use but the fan will run at 100% all the time. 

2 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Id just use an 80mm. Then use zip ties to go around the heatsink. There are sata the fan adapters you use but the fan will run at 100% all the time. 

I cut a piece of 80x80 cardboard and laid it lowest possible, on the heatsink's screws:

ds.thumb.jpeg.052ce165c6835692ee19ca2b07d7f1d2.jpeg

And when I closed the case and looked inside, it's so close that I can't even say if it's touching the case or not. And it's cardboard that can bend, if it's the fan and it's too big, the case won't be able to close.. so I'm not sure I should get a 80mm fan, or you think I can cut it somehow?

File or sand the fan frame.

Do you have something that can stay wet and leave a mark. Mark the edge of the cardboard put the side panel on. When you take the side off if there's a mark then it touching. If it smears then the panel is pushing it. Maybe whiteout would work.

Or

Try zip tie the cardboard 

9 hours ago, narrdarr said:

File or sand the fan frame.

Do you have something that can stay wet and leave a mark. Mark the edge of the cardboard put the side panel on. When you take the side off if there's a mark then it touching. If it smears then the panel is pushing it. Maybe whiteout would work.

Or

Try zip tie the cardboard 

Yep, it won't fit .. Ahhh just 2mm less and it would! What are my other options? Is this silent 60mm Noctua OK? It seems to be good, it even has a Low Noise Adapter to reduce maximum speed when connecting to only power wires

Any of those options are fine. But at under 80mm little air is moving. Unless the fan is very fast. Speed will more likely add noise.

3 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Any of those options are fine. But at under 80mm little air is moving. Unless the fan is very fast. Speed will more likely add noise.

The 60mm by noctua spins at 3000RPm with airflow of 29,2 m³/h at 19dB which is impressive if its true, it's also PWM.

I just wonder if I can simply connect it (if I find an adapter) to the weird 4-pin on the motherboard - will it work? How can I find an adapter from a regular 4pin PWM to this wider 4-pin PWM? Can't find any

You could make your own using the old fan connector.

Black is ground

Yellow is 12v

Green is tach

Blue is pwm

Does your system still have the shroud for the cpu cooler?

17 hours ago, narrdarr said:

You could make your own using the old fan connector.

Black is ground

Yellow is 12v

Green is tach

Blue is pwm

Does your system still have the shroud for the cpu cooler?

yes I have, but I will have to cut the original fan. 

This is a photo of some measurements, so maybe we you will get a better idea of the space I have there and if you know of a cooler that fits there:

mesurements.thumb.jpg.a784ecf29039c4b9db831a69a210b2e7.jpg

toms4.thumb.jpg.f73114e020cdcf49b7daf6db2094c381.jpg

Edited by Filingo