Can a win10 system booted from a USB drive read the disk of the pc its connected to?

Blakflag3
Go to solution Solved by Analog,
3 minutes ago, Blakflag3 said:

I want to dual boot two versions of win10 but i only have one partition on my SSD and don't want to format it to create another partition to dual boot on, so i had the ingenious idea of installing windows on a 32gb flashdrive i have laying around and using it as my secondary system. So i wanted to ask if i do that will the system on the flashdrive be able to read the contents of the laptop's SSD or not? And are there any other solutions to my problem that don't involve deleting anything off of my SSD or buying more internal storage?

Appreciate all the help you can offer!

Running Windows of a flash drive will be slow, but, yes it can be done. I have done it several times to troubleshoot a failing primary drive. 

I want to dual boot two versions of win10 but i only have one partition on my SSD and don't want to format it to create another partition to dual boot on, so i had the ingenious idea of installing windows on a 32gb flashdrive i have laying around and using it as my secondary system. So i wanted to ask if i do that will the system on the flashdrive be able to read the contents of the laptop's SSD or not? And are there any other solutions to my problem that don't involve deleting anything off of my SSD or buying more internal storage?

3 minutes ago, Blakflag3 said:

Running Windows of a flash drive will be slow, but, yes it can be done. I have done it several times to troubleshoot a failing primary drive. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

You can run Windows from a flash drive, but if you want to actually use it you're in for a very rough time. It will be very slow, and you're likely to kill your flash drive. But yes, it will be able to see the internal drive. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Yes you have access to any drive in the system as normal. If the data you want to access is in your user profile you'll need to sort out permissions though.

But you don't need to format if you want to shringk the main partition and make a 2nd one either.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Yes you have access to any drive in the system as normal. If the data you want to access is in your user profile you'll need to sort out permissions though.

But you don't need to format if you want to shringk the main partition and make a 2nd one either.

How can i divide the main partition without having to format it? If that is possible it will solve my issue completely.

Just now, Blakflag3 said:

How can i divide the main partition without having to format it? If that is possible it will solve my issue completely.

You can dual boot using vhds, no need to use partitions.

4 minutes ago, Blakflag3 said:

In disk manager you have a "reduce volume" option when you right click on a parition.

Another option is something like https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can dual boot using vhds, no need to use partitions.

Oh cool i didn't know that was a thing

Thanks!

On 1/18/2021 at 11:52 AM, Analog said:

Depends on the USB, really. $5 usb3.0 16gb probably wont be blazing fast, but faster drives like 64/128gb Sandisk Extreme Pros run WinPE fine off usbs and are definitely not slow lol.