RTX 3080 HELP

Ghostly224

so im buying a 3080 off this guy and im just wondering if anything goes wrong with the card am i able to talk to msi about it and get a replacement?

Yes.

MSI does not have an ownership clause in their warranty information, which you can find at https://us.msi.com/page/warranty. They will only ask for the product's serial number to submit an RMA.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

6 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

Yes.

MSI does not have an ownership clause in their warranty information, which you can find at https://us.msi.com/page/warranty. They will only ask for the product's serial number to submit an RMA.

so if i buy it off him i can rma if theres an issue right? 

4 minutes ago, Ghostly224 said:

so if i buy it off him i can rma if theres an issue right? 

Try and get the receipt off them, too... if only to verify the date of purchase (for future warranty purposes).  Dunno if registering a card w/ the manufacturer limits the warranty, but if what@PorkishPigsaid is right, it shouldn't.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Just now, Eighjan said:

Try and get the receipt off them, too... if only to verify the date of purchase (for future warranty purposes).  Dunno if registering a card w/ the manufacxturer limits the warranty, but if what @PorkishPigsaid is right, it shouldn't.

ok and how does rma work i can send it to them and they send me a replacement or do they fix it?

3 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Try and get the receipt off them, too... if only to verify the date of purchase (for future warranty purposes).  Dunno if registering a card w/ the manufacturer limits the warranty, but if what@PorkishPigsaid is right, it shouldn't.

and sorry im asking alot ive just never shipped something or sent something back before

3 minutes ago, Ghostly224 said:

ok and how does rma work i can send it to them and they send me a replacement or do they fix it?

Usually you 'trigger' an RMA through the manufacturer's support section of their website.

Whether they fix or replace is up to them... best to be prepared for either.

Edited by Eighjan

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

WHY NOT...?!

1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

Usually you 'trigger' an RMA through the manufacturer's support section of their website.

Whether they fix or replace is up to them... best to be prepared for either.

how long does it usually take? 

Just now, Ghostly224 said:

how long does it usually take? 

Usually based on where you have to send it... work on them having to verify the fault first & transport both ways; a minimum of 2 weeks wouldn't be unfair.

WHY NOT...?!

Just now, Eighjan said:

Usually based on where you have to send it... work on them having to verify the fault first & transport both ways; a minimum of 2 weeks wouldn't be unfair.

oh ok thanks for the help 

RMA with the 3080 will take very long.....

They will offer to refund you there is no stock.

Also many manufacturers will try to force you to go through the seller.

Get the recite/invoice get the original packaging. If he cant provide those I would stay away.

Also are you in the EU? Laws differ region to region. And where was the GPU bought.

2 hours ago, PorkishPig said:

Yes.

Pretty sure you need a receipt too, if only to prove the date of purchase - but also otherwise with an expensive card like this they can and probably *will* flat out deny any free RMA services or the like. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Pretty sure you need a receipt too, if only to prove the date of purchase - but also otherwise with an expensive card like this they can and probably *will* flat out deny any free RMA services or the like.

Based on what I've collected from Reddit threads (this one for example), they seem to allow warranty claims with just the serial number. You're right, however, there is absolutely no guarantee of an RMA being approved.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)