Computer crashing due to (I suspect) insufficient power.

GMacGregor

My computer has had an issue with shutting itself down, restarting, shutting down again, and then fully restarting. I suspect it's an issue with an insufficient power supply but wanted some input.

My computer is a MSI Trident 3 with these specs:

Processor: Intel i7-7700 3.60 GHz

Memory: 16 GB DDR4 2400

Storage: 1 TB 7200 HDD + 256 GB SSD

Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060

Power Supply: 230W AC Adapter

13 minutes ago, GMacGregor said:

My computer has had an issue with shutting itself down, restarting, shutting down again, and then fully restarting. I suspect it's an issue with an insufficient power supply but wanted some input.

When'd you purchase, and when does it shut down? This The GPU and CPU on that rig are 4 years old. The psu might be able to hold on for dear life during boot, and might trigger the CPU and GPU to seriously downclock, but it might not be enough while under heavy workloads. 

Basically I'm asking has this been a problem from purchase, and does it need to be under load to shut down

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

3 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

When'd you purchase, and when does it shut down? This The GPU and CPU on that rig are 4 years old. The psu might be able to hold on for dear life during boot, and might trigger the CPU and GPU to seriously downclock, but it might not be enough while under heavy workloads. 

Basically I'm asking has this been a problem from purchase, and does it need to be under load to shut down

I purchased the computer in 2018. And it's had this issue for about a year but only rarely. Recently it's gotten a lot worse though. And it needs to be under load for this to happen.

33 minutes ago, GMacGregor said:

That feels rather underpowered. Nvidia's recommendation for the 1060 is 400 W minimum and although they say max GPU wattage is 120 W, seeing 264 W for the 1060 and 65 W for the 7700 from testing under heavy load they certainly seem capable of overloading that poor power supply. They probably tuned some things or use a custom card/BIOS.

If you suspect power you can try setting a lower power limit with MSI afterburner. Grab the "power limit" slider and set it to a value <100%. That will limit the amount of power the GPU will try to use. Naturally this will give worse performance, but should allow you to see if the GPU power is a contributor.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

11 minutes ago, tikker said:

That feels rather underpowered. Nvidia's recommendation for the 1060 is 400 W minimum and although they say max GPU wattage is 120 W, seeing 264 W for the 1060 and 65 W for the 7700 from testing under heavy load they certainly seem capable of overloading that poor power supply. They probably tuned some things or use a custom card/BIOS.

If you suspect power you can try setting a lower power limit with MSI afterburner. Grab the "power limit" slider and set it to a value <100%. That will limit the amount of power the GPU will try to use. Naturally this will give worse performance, but should allow you to see if the GPU power is a contributor.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try using afterburner. I also tried looking for a higher watt adapter online but couldn't find one. Because I wouldn't mind replacing it with a higher watt adapter if that's an option

9 hours ago, tikker said:

I used Afterburner and set the limit to 85%. I played a game that crashed after 25 minutes before the change and I was able to play for hours without any issues. So looks like that's very likely the issue

• 1 year later...
On 1/17/2021 at 2:36 PM, GMacGregor said:

Happy to find this thread as I have the exact same computer an am experiencing the exact same problem. It seems like the issue is getting easier to trigger as time goes on (only crashes while playing games under load). I tried lowering the core clock MHz in afterburner but it did not help. Am going to try lowering the power limit percentage now as recommended. If that is the problem should buying a replacement power supply cable fix the problem?

32 minutes ago, Bdmski said:

Happy to find this thread as I have the exact same computer an am experiencing the exact same problem. It seems like the issue is getting easier to trigger as time goes on (only crashes while playing games under load). I tried lowering the core clock MHz in afterburner but it did not help. Am going to try lowering the power limit percentage now as recommended. If that is the problem should buying a replacement power supply cable fix the problem?

More than likely a new power brick would solve the issue. A cursory glance at Amazon shows third party 330W adapters available in addition to the OE style 230W ones, so that shouldn't be a difficult or expensive fix.

Simply use the search term "MSI Trident 3 adapter" and it's the first thing that comes up, so probably a pretty common search.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.