Ryzen 5 5600X Freezing randomly

bartolo1988

I have run into a problem where when I am only having Netflix running my computer freezes up. In the background I have task manager, chrome, HWmonitor, Razer Central and Synapse, steam, and Topping USB Audio controller running. I can move the mouse around for a minute and sometimes can click things but I don't have any response. I then have to manually restart it and everything runs fine after. I go into Event Viewer but their is nothing that looks out of the norm.

Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming X570 Pro (Bios 3001)

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3600C16D-32GTZRC

GPU: EVGA RTX3080 FTW3 Ultra

Cooler: Lian Li Galahad 360

Boot Drive: WD SN750 NVMe SSD 1TB

PSU: SeaSonic Focus GX Gold 750W

OS: Windows 10 Pro Build 19042 (No new updates available)

I was having numerous issues with my computer but have gotten it down to only this one issue. I originally had issues using DAZN and Disney Plus. It would force restart as soon as I started watching anything on either service. I also wasn't able to use DOCP on my RAM. Once I updated to 3001 that issue went away. I was also having issues with my computer restarting randomly while in game or not loading properly but that appears to be gone, at least for now. 

I still had freezing issues when I ran my MoBo on default settings. 

I am now using a new 5600X and last night had the same freezing issue, so I do not believe it is a CPU issue. The original one is one of those 2 CCD processors, which I had issues using Ryzen Master with, but the one I am using now only has 1 CCD. I am running PBO2 with -17 on my best 2 cores, and -12 on all others. I have ran some stress tests and they have been fine. I will need to run OCCT today just to confirm with that. I've played Forza and had no issues with that. This morning I uninstalled Armoury Crate since I read that software is a garbage. I installed Aura Sync though to continue to control my RGB lighting. 

If I need to I will try new RAM or even a new MoBo, but I would really obviously rather not do that. I have read that it may be the voltage dropping to low, but it only does it when Netflix is running. I left my PC on for a week straight with just some background tasks running while I was away over the holidays and it didn't freeze up then. 

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Edited by bartolo1988
Add PSU + OS

Last night it froze again.

It looks like the issue is only when I am watching it on my Asus VG27A monitor. It is 1440P and 165hz. G-Sync is turned on. I can watch Prime and Youtube no issue on that monitor though. I can watch Netflix on my BenQ GL2750H no issue. I recently changed my video card and I don't remember having this issue before and wonder if it has something to do with the NVidia drivers. I was using an RX580 before. 

This morning it froze again. I just got home from work and the clock still said 6:46am. It's 5:10pm here I was able to move the mouse around and then it stopped too. Once it loaded into windows it made a long beep and then I think 3 short beeps. I think it may have something to do with my RAM. I will try the newest bios available for my motherboard first and then try different RAM.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey! Seems like I have a very similar problem. The system slowly freeze until I can move only with my mouse. The problem was appearing quite frenquently, then for about month no issues at all - and now it does again. Some people recommend to uninstall nvidia audio drives (I've just disabled them). I'll probably try to uninstall nvidia experience and just install clean graphic drivers without any audio. But I'm not very optimistic :L

I have the same cpu, mobo: MSI B550, gpu: ASUS 3070 strix.

• 2 weeks later...

Similar problem here. I was building a new system and due to shortage of Ryzen 5600x I had 3600 CPU for about 2 months in my system. No freezing. As soon as I swapped problems started. Though at my office, back in Dec 2020 I built 10 Ryzen 5600x systems and no one has had similar issues. Have no idea if it is software related so I'll try to uninstall latest.

• 1 month later...

Having the exact same issue and I have already tried different RAM sticks and configurations, and have even replaced the mobo at this point. My roommate and I both have a 5600X, but he has zero issues with freezing. Beginning to think that it's an issue of a faulty CPU.

Check your CPU usage as you go along. Could be a Crypto Trojen using 100% of your CPU. This caused my PC to freeze almost every day randomly in the same way. Run a malware program and or see is a program called Windows Logon GUI is running.

I found a few other threads that seem to suggest that the chipset drivers from the AMD website are the cause of the issue. I have an MSI board and their support page has some weird issues going on where you can't access portions of it that has been going on for a while. I contacted someone and they sent me a link for the page that works (https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-X570-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-WIFI#down-bios). Just installed the new chipset driver from MSI, so here's hoping.

9 hours ago, ITranscendencEI said:

Having the exact same issue and I have already tried different RAM sticks and configurations, and have even replaced the mobo at this point. My roommate and I both have a 5600X, but he has zero issues with freezing. Beginning to think that it's an issue of a faulty CPU.

I have the same problem too. Upgraded to an Asus B550 Rog F and a 5600X with 32gb of 3600mhz CL18 ram. The third day it froze while using zoom and I thought it was zoom that caused the problem. I deleted it and still were getting random freezes while watching YouTube or just reading a pdf. Keyboard wouldn't work, screen started freezing slowly ( i could minimize the app i was using ) and after 1 min or so mouse dies too. Restarting from Case is the only option. MoBo looks fine and stress testing the CPU and Memtest on the ram shows no problem or errors at all. Chipset drivers are up to date and bios too( 8/4/2021 version ). I see that dozens have this problem but none seem to know how to deal with it. It didn't happen while playing COD with discord open and Hwinfo monitoring temps, clocks etc ( which were normal ) but after 10 minutes of closing the game ( i was playing for hours ) the pc froze again. I use the balanced power plan and the power slider is in the middle. DCOP is active and cleaned installed nvidia drivers as some said in many threads.

I honestly don't know what I did to "fix" the issue. I know I tried a new CPU, but I have the old one in a different computer and it doesn't have any issues. I am on a more recent bios for my mobo. I did uninstall Armoury Crate, and just have Aura for RGB. Last time I had an issue was about a month or so ago when I plugged in a USB drive and my computer restarted. I know that the bios updates really helped.

From my understanding, the latest BIOS updates were to deal with the USB connection issue (I actually have not had this issue yet). Most people that say they fixed the freezing issue said that it was related to the chipset drivers. I installed the latest ones from my mobo manufacturer, but still froze. This time I tried uninstalling the drivers before reinstalling the new ones from MSI again, so guess I'll report back in about 24 hours if it freezes again. The only other solutions I've seen is to uninstall all chipset drivers and actually use the install CD that comes with the mobo. I saw something about turning off a feature called AMD Cool & Quiet function, but that user had a Gigabyte board and I wasn't able to find anything in the MSI BIOS about it.

8 hours ago, KA97 said:

I have the same problem too. Upgraded to an Asus B550 Rog F and a 5600X with 32gb of 3600mhz CL18 ram. The third day it froze while using zoom and I thought it was zoom that caused the problem. I deleted it and still were getting random freezes while watching YouTube or just reading a pdf. Keyboard wouldn't work, screen started freezing slowly ( i could minimize the app i was using ) and after 1 min or so mouse dies too. Restarting from Case is the only option. MoBo looks fine and stress testing the CPU and Memtest on the ram shows no problem or errors at all. Chipset drivers are up to date and bios too( 8/4/2021 version ). I see that dozens have this problem but none seem to know how to deal with it. It didn't happen while playing COD with discord open and Hwinfo monitoring temps, clocks etc ( which were normal ) but after 10 minutes of closing the game ( i was playing for hours ) the pc froze again. I use the balanced power plan and the power slider is in the middle. DCOP is active and cleaned installed nvidia drivers as some said in many threads.

In the exact same boat my friend. I've already tried different RAM and a replacement mobo. Latest stable BIOS (v7B93v1B 2021-01-27) and lastest chipset driver from MSI (v2.11.26.106 2021-2-23) have not resolved the issue. If I find a solution, I'll be sure and reply to you again with details, but I'm not hopeful at this point since it's not a very wide spread issue and very few people even know about it.

1 hour ago, bartolo1988 said:

I honestly don't know what I did to "fix" the issue. I know I tried a new CPU, but I have the old one in a different computer and it doesn't have any issues. I am on a more recent bios for my mobo. I did uninstall Armoury Crate, and just have Aura for RGB. Last time I had an issue was about a month or so ago when I plugged in a USB drive and my computer restarted. I know that the bios updates really helped.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the current configuration you have for the system that's running the 5600X without freezing?

Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming X570 Pro (Bios 3402) (Newer Bios is available) (Chipset: 20.40.0.3)

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3600C16D-32GTZRC

GPU: EVGA RTX3080 FTW3 Ultra

Cooler: Lian Li Galahad 360

Boot Drive: WD SN750 NVMe SSD 1TB

PSU: SeaSonic Focus GX Gold 750W

The only things I can think of I did was newer bios, which is about 6 weeks ago, and changing from Armoury Crate to Aura for RGB, but I don't think that did anything. I gave my mom my other 5600x and it is running a TUF Gaming B550 with T-Force 3200mhz CL18. It is just running with the Bios that came on the mobo. 

I haven't updated anything in over a month. 

I have FINALLY found the solution to this problem for everyone that it applies to.

Disable Global C-State Control
I tried many various solutions, however this was the only one that solved the problem. Since disabling it, my system has been running for over 5 days with 0 freezes.

From what I understand from reading around, the actual issue is that the CPU is not getting sufficient power when idle/under low load. Some motherboards have a feature called AMD Cool n' Quiet (this one is pretty old) or Global C-State Control. Also from what I understand, this feature controls how the CPU behaves and receives power when idle/dormant. I don't know the specifics behind it, but essentially this feature is choking the CPU for a second which causes the system to partially lock up. One of the threads that I was reading had someone saying that disabling c-state control lock their CPU at 3800Mhz. For me this was not the case. I'm not using a manual OC, and am just using the Auto OC feature in Ryzen Master. I don't know if this has anything to do with that user's observation, but wanted to at least mention it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming Wi-Fi Motherboard

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) 3600MHz CL18 DDR4

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R ARGB AIO Cooler

Boot Drive: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB

PSU: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 750W Power Supply

Do any of you have NZXT CAM installed for any reason? whether thats for control of an NZXT component or for its monitoring abilities

On 4/17/2021 at 9:26 PM, ITranscendencEI said:

I have FINALLY found the solution to this problem for everyone that it applies to.

I tried many various solutions, however this was the only one that solved the problem. Since disabling it, my system has been running for over 5 days with 0 freezes.

From what I understand from reading around, the actual issue is that the CPU is not getting sufficient power when idle/under low load. Some motherboards have a feature called AMD Cool n' Quiet (this one is pretty old) or Global C-State Control. Also from what I understand, this feature controls how the CPU behaves and receives power when idle/dormant. I don't know the specifics behind it, but essentially this feature is choking the CPU for a second which causes the system to partially lock up. One of the threads that I was reading had someone saying that disabling c-state control lock their CPU at 3800Mhz. For me this was not the case. I'm not using a manual OC, and am just using the Auto OC feature in Ryzen Master. I don't know if this has anything to do with that user's observation, but wanted to at least mention it.

Registered here just to say you "thank you". i've been trying to solve this problem for 2 weeks. Your advice is really usefull. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/18/2021 at 10:44 AM, ap_lis said:

Registered here just to say you "thank you". i've been trying to solve this problem for 2 weeks. Your advice is really usefull. 

Same here, I've been struggling with instability for months on my 5600x B550 build. Things always seemed worse when the memory was on the DOCP profile, pointing to a memory issue. But I've tried multiple sets of RAM and still had stability issues. After reading this I tried disabling Global C-State Control and suddenly it's stable, even on DOCP profile. Still wonder if this is hiding an underlying issue with my CPU, but great to get stability.

• 2 months later...
On 4/17/2021 at 2:26 PM, ITranscendencEI said:

Thank you so much! That did the trick for me. After weeks of having to reset my new PC multiple times a day, now it works as it should.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been having any issues with my computer freezing or anything like that anymore. But one thing I have noticed is that when I move my fan cables around that it will not turn back on. Once I reset my CMOS though it will start. I can then change all of my bios setting back to how I had them and it will boot no problem. I have shut my computer down multiple times and moved it even and never had issues, I only have issues when I move my fan cables around it would seem.

• 2 years later...

when i Disable Global C-State Control,its worked.

But when the CPU is under high load, it will crash again.