what its called

Rego0116

Linus had a video, where he ran a program, that mined bitcoin for games, steam wallet cards. What is it called??

18 minutes ago, Rego0116 said:

Linus had a video, where he ran a program, that mined bitcoin for games, steam wallet cards. What is it called??

I don't think mining BTC is a great idea right now, but you can try different coins if you have a decent GPU...

Never tested myself, but this might be similar to what you are looking for:

I don't remember such video. Linus has overall been very negative towards coin mining overall, and any informational video about the subject is 2 years old at this point. If they mention it with same subject with some game service, its always in negative sense as in the service is misusing your PC to coin mining.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I'm not familiar with the video you're asking about. Wouldn't it make more sense to just mine cryptocurrency and then exchange that to buy games or steam gift cards? Why mine something that only gives you steam gift cards?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

I'm not familiar with the video you're asking about. Wouldn't it make more sense to just mine cryptocurrency and then exchange that to buy games or steam gift cards? Why mine something that only gives you steam gift cards?

I'm 99% certain OP misunderstood something. Bitcoin is bitcoin and it doesn't care what you spend it on, so if OP is correct and the video was specifically talking about bitcoin, then such a service would be all sorts of a scam.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

I'm 99% certain OP misunderstood something. Bitcoin is bitcoin and it doesn't care what you spend it on, so if OP is correct and the video was specifically talking about bitcoin, then such a service would be all sorts of a scam.

I'm assuming they're [mistakenly] referring to cryptocurrency as "bitcoin", as that's simply just what most people are familiar with when it comes to cryptocurrency.

4 hours ago, Rego0116 said:

Linus had a video, where he ran a program, that mined bitcoin cryptocurrency for games, steam wallet cards. What is it called??

^ makes a lot more sense

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

As far as I can tell etherium is mined and converted to BTC?

I edit my posts more often than not

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

As far as I can tell etherium is mined and converted to BTC?

Some people do exchange their ethereum into bitcoin, yes, but ethereum is its own cryptocoin and there's no technical reason to exchange it. There are plenty of places where you can spend ethereum as-is, just like bitcoin.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.