Fast work PC?

My budget is $1200-1400

I'll be using my pc for video editing, office programs & web browsing. 

Here is my build, I'm not very educated when it comes to building pcs so if there are better options please let me know.

My other work pc is about 10yrs old as well, can I transfer my harddrives to the new pc as well? or are they too old?

Asus prime z390a 
I7 8700k
16gb ballistix 2666
Asus tuf 4k monitor
500gb ssd Samsung
Nzxt h510i/Lian li
Noctua cooler 
Evga 1660ti
750w corsair platinum psu

28 minutes ago, CheeseGod said:

I7 8700k

Can you even buy one of these new?

You can use the website PCPartPicker,com to see what's available.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I have specked out a parts list for you. You can click on this link to view it: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/2024jrb1/saved/#view=4dcTYJ

Explanation:

Ryzen 7 over Intel: The Ryzen 7 processer blows the current gen Intel out of the water(even more so the 8th gen which is pretty dated now). Here is a comparison chart. 

Ram: 32 is bigger and it is faster.

Motherboard: Need a Ryzen compatible motherboard.

Monitor: no change

HDD: added a 2tb HDD for storage.

GPU: went with the newer 30 series from NVIDIA. You may need to do some hunting though because it is in high demand. 

PSU: What NVIDIA recommended so that is what I am recommending.

Conclusion: This is FAST.

Your HDDs should work in your new pc. Samsung has a tool for migrating your boot drive to a new ssd. 

23 minutes ago, penguin1 said:

I have specked out a parts list for you. You can click on this link to view it: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/2024jrb1/saved/#view=4dcTYJ

Explanation:

Ryzen 7 over Intel: The Ryzen 7 processer blows the current gen Intel out of the water(even more so the 8th gen which is pretty dated now). Here is a comparison chart. 

Ram: 32 is bigger and it is faster.

Motherboard: Need a Ryzen compatible motherboard.

Monitor: no change

HDD: added a 2tb HDD for storage.

GPU: went with the newer 30 series from NVIDIA. You may need to do some hunting though because it is in high demand. 

PSU: What NVIDIA recommended so that is what I am recommending.

Conclusion: This is FAST.

Your HDDs should work in your new pc. Samsung has a tool for migrating your boot drive to a new ssd. 

Most of these go past my budget though & my 8700k performs fine on my gaming pc, are you sure about amd? I already have a 3080 as well for my gaming pc, this is just for work. 

You can't buy an 8700k now new. Current Ryzen CPU's will be superior to current Intel for most workstation tasks.

Don't keep any data you care about on ten year old hard drives. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

30 minutes ago, CheeseGod said:

Most of these go past my budget though & my 8700k performs fine on my gaming pc, are you sure about amd? I already have a 3080 as well for my gaming pc, this is just for work. 

AMD in general has more cores and threads. Your video editing will be much faster with a 5800x compared to an 8700k (not as many cores and threads). Games in general care about single core performance, which is why the 8700k is a good choice for that application. An 8700k is decent for video editing, don't get me wrong, but you can get much better these days than a cpu from 2017. Can't tell if you are including the monitor in the budget.... Anyways, here's a build for 1407 

6 hours ago, CheeseGod said:

Asus prime z390a 
I7 8700k
16gb ballistix 2666
Asus tuf 4k monitor
500gb ssd Samsung
Nzxt h510i/Lian li
Noctua cooler 
Evga 1660ti
750w corsair platinum psu

That's not really ideal for editing. 
Also this is outdated platform.

Not sure if you're going to game on it but for editing I would downgrade the CPU, pick something like Ryzen 3-5 e.g. Ryzen 5 2600 or 3600 ( in amazon.com they cost the same which is weird ) and get the best Nvidia GPU possible such as RTX 3060Ti ( here in EU it's $900, crazy markup making it more expensive than the superior RTX 3080 ) but you probably could manage to get RTX 3080 when it's in stock somewhere. 

Ryzen 5 2600 or 3600 is cheap and powerful enough for any gaming and enough for editing, the scaling in CPU encoding isn't that great anyway so you probs would not notice a difference between Ryzen 5 and flagship Ryzen 7 ( e.g. R5 3600 will take 21mins to render something while R7 would take maybe 17mins so that's pretty much nothing especially if you gonna render lets say up to 5 projects per day ). R5 3600 is probably the best value all-rounder CPU right now.

The reason why you need better GPU over CPU is because in some editing apps such as Premiere* or DaVinci Resolve the GPU gonna do the most work for preview, effects/filters and rendering. And if you're using something like Vegas or After Effects then you should switch to something like DaVinci Resolve and stop torturing yourself with outdated softwares ( which is free and Studio version isn't expensive and that software is fkn insane it's like AfterFX+Premiere combined and supports 3D Stuff, maybe just not so great for 2D Motion Graphics ).

Otherwise if you're using something like Nuke or other software which doesn't rely on GPU then get Ryzen 7 and bit weaker Nvidia GPU maybe from previous generation ( used ).

32GB of RAM might be more useful too over 16G ( 16 is enough tho but 32GB would work better with "RAM Preview" and such ).

Something like this ( my pc building knowledge is like 1-2years old so it's more focused on Zen2 platform ): 

Note: The Case and Fans is bit expensive in US ( in EU that case + these fans would be around 60euros ), so maybe it's better to simply change to a case w/ all fans included, should be 2x cheaper.
Changing to B550 mobo is also good idea.

750W because it might be "future proof" maybe for a second efficient GPU in future especially if you gonna learn or do 3D rendering ( which is sometimes part of editing ) that will be super useful.

With the GPU situation right now you probably could simply get used GTX 1080Ti for under $500 ( best w/ warranty ) or even RTX 2070Super if you're lucky to find good deal. Ofcourse best is to wait for the RTX 3070 FE to get back in stock for $499, simply superior value.

The 5600X will out perform an i7-8700.

Memory is reasonably inexpensive and editing generally likes lots ofnmemory.

Neither the OP list or the one below need more than a 550W psu.

I'd suggest a better case.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($310.00) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 CPU Cooler  ($39.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($177.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB GAMING X Video Card  ($329.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case  ($108.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($69.98 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1316.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-16 23:32 EST-0500

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.