Failing Harddrive OR Sata Cable?

Vellaura

Hey all! I have a Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black Harddrive.

Basically trying to figure out whether my harddrive is just starting to fail or whether there is something wrong with the sata cable or port.

The Ultra ATA CRC Error Count went from 2,133 to 2,780 in the course of two days and its continuing to rise gradually.

Sometimes maybe in 3-4 hr intervals my chrome will freeze up, i won't be able to interact with the tabs or anything, i can only go to the desktop but I can't open up task manager or click/open anything else. After a little while everything i clicked on will open like task manager or another program all at once, this is a consistent symptom I am experiencing. Startup is also super slow. While transferring files from my external to my main harddrive at times would cause my pc to hang, almost like a freeze, then come back, the transfer rate would go from 30mb/s to 100kb's...stay at that speed for a while, no noises from my hard drive, lock up the pc, then continue as normal. This happened a few times then eventually my pc crashed.

Just today one of my desktop icons for Harddisk Sentinel appeared as a blank white icon.

Once I've also had a kernel blue screen. I can't remember the full exact message but it had kernel in it.

Could the lack of a secure sata cable have also deterioated the harddrive over a long period? Is this possible?

Just trying to determine for future if I get a new harddrive, wouldn't want to have that deteriated as well. I've never played with or plugged out the sata cables, they've been plugged since the first day it was built.

Everything is already backed up, im on a fresh install trying to diagnose before I go out and get a new HD.

Did a full scan on HDTune Pro and Sentinel, no bad sectors.

https://imgur.com/a/2EKj26n
(Link for Sentinel Overview Tab)

Thank you :)

8 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Do you have an SSD?
If not, you might want to get one.

And SATA cables, imo, either work or don't.

Hey mate! I have a HDD. Yeah I dunno, they seem pricer for the storage ( at least here in Aus). My system is very old. I'm just trying to make do until I save enough and prices settle a little bit. I also don't like the idea that a SSD can just wipe instantly where as at least a Harddrive will gradually fail over time. Next builds will defs have a M.2, SSD though.

So based on what I'm experiencing you reckon the harddrive has done its time?

6 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

And SATA cables, imo, either work or don't.

SATA is sensible so a millisecond of disconnection can cause a Windows PC to receive errors in many ways, same as USB cables that seems perfectly fine but if you wiggle them around they disconnect and reconnect as they loose and regain connection. But if the cable has been there and not touched that should not be the issue. Except if some corrosion is present, that can cause intermittent connessions. Once I had corrosion on my PCI Express (2 years after inserting and not removing), thought the GPU was dead and instead cleaning did the job

3 minutes ago, Vellaura said:

Hey mate! I have a HDD. Yeah I dunno, they seem pricer for the storage ( at least here in Aus). My system is very old. I'm just trying to make do until I save enough and prices settle a little bit. I also don't like the idea that a SSD can just wipe instantly where as at least a Harddrive will gradually fail over time. Next builds will defs have a M.2, SSD though.

So based on what I'm experiencing you reckon the harddrive has done its time?

How many hours have the HDD has (usually is written somewhere in S.M.A.R.T. software), if you have a 10.000 hours you can't expect much from it. (Mind that hours may not be an indicator, many of my old drives failed at 3000-5000 hous)

1 minute ago, Vellaura said:

Anyway to be certain? 😞

Even if tomorrow it works again unexpectedly would do trust it to not just die randomly the next month and not come back to life no more. Not only there could be data loss but maybe you were doing something important and now you have to buy a replacement without warning (and if you need it for work and similar you could need it fast)

28 minutes ago, Jenko32 said:

SATA is sensible so a millisecond of disconnection can cause a Windows PC to receive errors in many ways, same as USB cables that seems perfectly fine but if you wiggle them around they disconnect and reconnect as they loose and regain connection. But if the cable has been there and not touched that should not be the issue. Except if some corrosion is present, that can cause intermittent connessions. Once I had corrosion on my PCI Express (2 years after inserting and not removing), thought the GPU was dead and instead cleaning did the job

How many hours have the HDD has (usually is written somewhere in S.M.A.R.T. software), if you have a 10.000 hours you can't expect much from it. (Mind that hours may not be an indicator, many of my old drives failed at 3000-5000 hous)

Even if tomorrow it works again unexpectedly would do trust it to not just die randomly the next month and not come back to life no more. Not only there could be data loss but maybe you were doing something important and now you have to buy a replacement without warning (and if you need it for work and similar you could need it fast)

Firstly thank you for your response! ❤️

Well I converted the power on time days to hours and I have seemed to have used it for 28632 hours..... 😄 😮 

Here is a link for overview tab on hard drive sentinel - https://imgur.com/a/2EKj26n

Let's just say the harddrive is dieing, I don't understand why its pointing to the sata cable being a problem. Is this normal as a indication? Or is it too obvious for it to be a failing harddrive?

What I mean't by the certainty is more so to see if its the cable or harddrive. Like I said I don't want the sata cable to ruin a new harddrive as well..i.f thats possible.