I wanted to install Linux Ubuntu on a SEPRATE STORAGE DRIVE (NOT ON SAME DRIVE WHERE WINDOWS IS)

Hello I'm trying to install Linux Ubuntu OS on my 240GB kingstion SSD but, It won't install I try to install correctly one they want it on a partition but, when I did on my new ssd it gives me a error wont install on top of that when I go to my BIOS and, it said that the Ubuntu is install on my WD ssd 500GB which I don't wanted to install it I want it on my other SSD which is the Kingstion. Why the heck wont Install right I sick of tired of people don't give a specific instructions or basic information on video or a step by step how you install they skip important C*** about how install Linux on a separate internal drive please help me about this also I wanted to delete the Linux on my windows hard drive I don't like it and just annoying to get rid of it.

Also is a callout and a vent I just wanted a easy way to install it on my new drive but, results I look up on YOUTUBE is to dual boot on a same drive on windows I DON"T WANT IT I WANTED TO PUT MY LINUX OS ON A SEPRATE DRIVE is stupid when people won't do it which make me angry.

It probably is on the second drive but booting from the boot manager. But if it isn't, just take out the 500gb WD for the install.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Kool_Aid_Man said:

I WANTED TO PUT MY LINUX OS ON A SEPRATE DRIVE

That's still dual booting.

Windows and Linux handle booting in different ways, and need a bootloader to determine which OS you want to boot from. So you want to be mighty careful about removing an existing installation of Linux without properly adjusting the bootloader, lest you wind up with an unbootable system.

Linux has made strides in user friendliness, but it's still far from "just push this button to boot" levels of ease. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

if you're struggling so much just unplug your windows drive, go through the installation with the defaults and when you're done plug the windows drive back in. You'll have to pick which to boot using the motherboard's boot menu, otherwise you can scan for the windows installation from Ubuntu to have it show up in grub but given the amount of trouble you're having maybe that's a bridge too far.

Also consider that not everyone on the internet has your exact computer and can read your mind about the exact problem you're having.

8 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Linux has made strides in user friendliness, but it's still far from "just push this button to boot" levels of ease. 

uhhh whatever do you mean? once it's installed right it's just going to boot, if you're using something like ubuntu the installation process is typically not hard at all, at least no harder than the windows installation process.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

once it's installed right

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

typically not hard

That's what I mean. And yes, mainline distros like Ubuntu play nice and easy...until they don't, as the OP is seeing

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

That's what I mean. And yes, mainline distros like Ubuntu play nice and easy...until they don't, as the OP is seeing

I'm not convinced the problem lies with the installer here... and I could say the same for the windows installer, it works until it doesn't.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

So far I remove my 500GB ssd and installing linux on my 240 GB kingston I read the forms from linux that the 20.04LTS installing with wifi and third party app will crashed the software and have to do it again so I install without any wifi and third party apps then is successfuly installed but, when I restart the computer is give me a error when I boot up my computer. 

ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: PPM init failed (-110)

Now what????

It could be a graphics card driver.  Are you using nVidia?  In any case, what is the model of your graphics card?

Maybe the PPM does not have the driver you want and need go directly to manufacturer's proprietary driver.

Just an educated guess.

1 hour ago, TorC said:

It could be a graphics card driver.  Are you using nVidia?  In any case, what is the model of your graphics card?

Maybe the PPM does not have the driver you want and need go directly to manufacturer's proprietary driver.

Just an educated guess.

Is a ryzen 7 4800h 

Rtx 2060

Is a Asus tuf a-15 laptop

I already got the latest GPU driver second is a laptop I'm Using how heck I will find out the problem I look up for the code information there no specific results that is have with this laptop i need some step by step.

Hi I have had the same issue. With UEFI essentially whichever drive gets an OS first, in this case windows drive, has the uefi bootloader for the system. Even if you specify Ubuntu to install on the other drive the bootloader will write to the one that already has one. The way t fix it is to turn off secure boot,  put boot support to Legacy + UEFI, and turn on CSM support under windows settings, then reinstall ubuntu on the other drive but when you boot the ubuntu medium make sure the option doesn't start with an indicator of it being UEFI, b/c most ubuntu bootable medium cn be booted as Bios/Legacy or as UEFI which is normallly indicated clearly in the boot menu options.

On 1/20/2021 at 3:45 AM, TylerSP said:

Hi I have had the same issue. With UEFI essentially whichever drive gets an OS first, in this case windows drive, has the uefi bootloader for the system. Even if you specify Ubuntu to install on the other drive the bootloader will write to the one that already has one. The way t fix it is to turn off secure boot,  put boot support to Legacy + UEFI, and turn on CSM support under windows settings, then reinstall ubuntu on the other drive but when you boot the ubuntu medium make sure the option doesn't start with an indicator of it being UEFI, b/c most ubuntu bootable medium cn be booted as Bios/Legacy or as UEFI which is normallly indicated clearly in the boot menu options.

Does it Fix the ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: PPM init failed (-110) that's the only one thing as long if bootable and runs complete well I wanted make sure is completely working I don't want to waste my time look over other solutions.  

Kool_Aid_MAn, I can't say I have run into that issue. The problem with my solution is to switch between OSes t post you'll need to choose your boot drive for linux or the UEFI bootloader for windows to get to the one you want if it is not the default boot option, noeasy boot selection screen. It works fine on my machine, with EndeavorOS installed via legacy BIOS on an 860 Evo and Windows installed on an HP S600 as UEFI. But since  they are not the same type of boot (UEFI vs BIOS), and EndeavorOS is my primary boot option, to boot into windows I always have to press my boot menu key after a restart or shutdown to get into windows. I have a similar setup on another machine running Fedora 33 BIOS and Windows 10 UEFI and also haven't had issues with that.

I'd try first removing the SSD containing Windows,

then install the SSD to use Linux, install Linux but put GRUB on the boot partition and NOT the MBR

Take out the Linux SSD

Put in the Windows SSD and see if it boots like that.  Leave in the machine even if it does not boot correctly.

Buy EasyBCD.

Install the Linux SSD

Install Easy BCD and set it up for dual-boot as desired. 

Hope it works.

Can you boot with the Live USB?

If so, I would suggest a corrupt install and to try again.

If not i would suggest that ubuntu doesnt have the pre-installed drivers you need and maybe to try and different distro such as PopOs that might save you the hassle of finding out which one it is :)