Dell P1130 CRT on a GTX 1080

Ichi-Zero

Hello fellow LTTers,

Recently got a Dell P1130; had it connected to a GTX 970 (test rig) and now I genuinely want to replay a few games (starting with Tomb Raider 2013) via my main rig - which has a GTX 1080.

Since analog signal support ended w/ the Nvidia 9xx series; I'm wondering what options are for connectivity? I know an active DP to VGA adapter could be the answer; but I'm sure exactly what to get/look for.

I stumbled across the DigitalFoundry video w/ the FW900 for Control (w/ max ray tracing); but it didn't offer much information on how they setup their system.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Just realized I forgot to mention my concern with refresh rate limitations with active DP to VGA adapters...  >_>   I don't suppose I'll be able to do... say 75/80hz at 1600 x 1200?

Shouldn't be too hard to get working. I've not actually had to dabble with converters, so I'll just slap down two DP and one DVI option from brands I'd trust. Realistically they should all perform the same.

DP1

DP2

DVI

This post brought to you by someone the mods hate 🙂

Above answer is about as good as you can ask for, really, but concerning how DigitalFoundry sets up the Sony FW900, it (most likely, anyways) wouldn't really be relevant to your monitor's use cases as they almost certainly go the route of the BNC connectors on that monitor rather than straight VGA.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

54 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Above answer is about as good as you can ask for, really, but concerning how DigitalFoundry sets up the Sony FW900, it (most likely, anyways) wouldn't really be relevant to your monitor's use cases as they almost certainly go the route of the BNC connectors on that monitor rather than straight VGA.

I see... can you do more than 60hz via BNC connectors? vs the 60hz limitation on the active adapter?   is there anyway to get over 60hz (even lower resolutions via the adapter?)

1 minute ago, Ichi-Zero said:

I see... can you do more than 60hz via BNC connectors? vs the 60hz limitation on the active adapter?   is there anyway to get over 60hz (even lower resolutions via the adapter?)

It's not that, but moreso that VGA can only push so much even on extremely high end CRTs. Needless to say, 2304x1440 isn't the easiest feat on that FW900.

Just now, handymanshandle said:

It's not that, but moreso that VGA can only push so much even on extremely high end CRTs. Needless to say, 2304x1440 isn't the easiest feat on that FW900.

Thanks for the info/clarification...     my expectations isn't "that" unreasonable; if I can get even 75/80hz @ 1600 x 1200 on that Dell PT1130, I'll be more than ecstatic. Would any active adapters be able to achieve this? or am I forever stuck in 60hz land?

Just now, Ichi-Zero said:

Thanks for the info/clarification...     my expectations isn't "that" unreasonable; if I can get even 75/80hz @ 1600 x 1200 on that Dell PT1130, I'll be more than ecstatic. Would any active adapters be able to achieve this? or am I forever stuck in 60hz land?

Most normal DisplayPort to VGA adapters should be able to push refresh rates over 60Hz. I couldn't tell you specifically if you can push 1600x1200 at 75Hz on one of them (although you probably could?) but I've done 85Hz at 1024x768 on my rather shite CRT monitor.

I sure hope so... I doubt I'll be able to find an active DP to VGA adapter that'll allow something ridiuclous like 1600 x 1200 @ 100hz. Which I can achieve via  a

GTX 970 via DVI to VGA adapter...

On 1/16/2021 at 8:54 PM, handymanshandle said:

Most normal DisplayPort to VGA adapters should be able to push refresh rates over 60Hz. I couldn't tell you specifically if you can push 1600x1200 at 75Hz on one of them (although you probably could?) but I've done 85Hz at 1024x768 on my rather shite CRT monitor.

On 1/16/2021 at 7:50 PM, MII-333GP said:

Shouldn't be too hard to get working. I've not actually had to dabble with converters, so I'll just slap down two DP and one DVI option from brands I'd trust. Realistically they should all perform the same.

DP1

DP2

DVI

I have all 3 of these adapters at this point; none of them is able to bring up a higher resolution than 1280 x 960 @ 60hz. I plug the same monitor (same VGA cable) into a GTX 970; I can set the P1130 as high as 2048 x 1536 at 80 Hz.  I am hoping to get at the bare minimum 1600 x 1200 @ 60hz or 1400 x 900 @ 75/85hz on CRT from the GTX 1080...

if anyone has any idea what's going on; please chime in.

Stuck12801024.png

1 hour ago, Ichi-Zero said:

I have all 3 of these adapters at this point; none of them is able to bring up a higher resolution than 1280 x 960 @ 60hz. I plug the same monitor (same VGA cable) into a GTX 970; I can set the P1130 as high as 2048 x 1536 at 80 Hz.  I am hoping to get at the bare minimum 1600 x 1200 @ 60hz or 1400 x 900 @ 75/85hz on CRT from the GTX 1080...

if anyone has any idea what's going on; please chime in.

Stuck12801024.png

You'll probably need to set a custom resolution.