[HELP] Can't install AMD CPU correctly! (CPU can't be fully inserted)

Hey all.

Just tried to install my BRAND NEW AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU (100% NO BENT PINS) into an Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherboard (BRAND NEW, SOCKET LOOKED CLEAN). Let me just say this is not my first time installing AMD CPU's. 

What my installation procedure looked like:

1. grounded myself
  2. lifted retention arm FULLY
  3. inspected socket
  4. inspected CPU pins
  5. matched the golden triangles
  6. carefully "dropped" the CPU into the socket (NO FORCE)
  7. lowered the retention arm FULLY (it required NO FORCE, as usual)

The CPU effortlessly dropped into the socket, but I noticed it did not sit flush at one corner, with the retention arm up (just inserted) OR down (fully installed).

NOTE: THE FIRST IMAGE PROVIDED IS NOT MINE, AND SHOULD ONLY BE USED FOR REFERENCE: 

Now I didn't take a picture of the issue for the first time, but this image should give you a rough idea of how it looked. Please keep in mind IT WAS NOT THIS BAD, but when checking if the CPU was seated correctly, I COULD actually see a bit of a reflection from the golden pins in the same corner as depicted in the picture bellow - basically the CPU was lifting at one corner, which is not normal.

image.png.739219c2a712a8cafdf5666a6dbaef40.png

I then proceeded to lift the retention arm fully, thus releasing the CPU. I carefully took it out, inspected the pins (NO BENT PINS IN ALL CASES) and tried to continue with the installation two more times. Yes, the socket lever was all the way up before inserting the CPU. In all of the cases the CPU never sat flush with the socket at the same corner. 

Because I then became quite disappointed and frustrated with the progress of the build, I decided to just very lightly hold the CPU down on opposite corners, while lowering the retention arm. Let me say I realise that this should not be done (I know it's a ZIF socket), however this is the only solution that seemed to have worked.

THE IMAGES BELLOW SHOW THE ACTUAL STATUS OF THE COMPONENTS DESCRIBED IN THIS POST DURING MY LAST ATTEMPT:

E0FFF6C7-EE09-4083-8E28-CAE76AC6E8E7_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.e2ef0b3a3348c7de203622a765358281.jpeg

D2B54B8A-6C86-4467-8332-DEB823C6A15E_1_105_c.jpeg.44c5f4bd5df92c8dbfa3d0e208a28611.jpeg

It is a bit hard to see, but the right corner is still slightly lifted, just not as much as before... Again - before I could actually see just a tiny bit of the gold, from the pins.

What am I missing? I'd truly appreciate your help.. Thank you all for taking your time!

I have three theories:

1. There's something in the socket

2. You have a slightly bent pin

3. The pin manufacturing went wrong and no one noticed

Raise the arm and see if you can get it fully in by pushing lightly.

elephants

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Raise the arm and see if you can get it fully in by pushing lightly.

As mentioned above: if I just lightly lay my finger on the corner that's sticking out, it then looks like it sits flush...

When you put the cooler on, it will sit flush. 

My question is, does the PC operate? If so, don't worry about it. The Cpu PCB may just have a slight curve to it. Not a big deal. Your motherboard and video card do as well.

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

When you put the cooler on, it will sit flush. 

My question is, does the PC operate?

Hey @ShrimpBrime I was thinking the same thing. As long as there's contact the CPU should work completely fine and I believe that the CPU cooler is going to "squish" the CPU against the socket nicely. It's not like the CPU falls out of the socket, it truly is only a minimal gap (after holding it down), but of course, the gap itself does not comply with official AMD standards, which is why it isn't normal (at least from what I know).

As far as your question: I have no way of knowing and won't for quite some time, as I am still waiting for some components to be delivered (takes some time in my country), not to mention the GPU...

The only reason I tried installing the CPU is because I was troubleshooting some potential cooler compatibility issues, for which the CPU needed to be installed. So I'm kind of double scr*wed here haha... which is why I came here seeking some help/advice :( 

4 minutes ago, gal-m said:

Hey @ShrimpBrime I was thinking the same thing. As long as there's contact the CPU should work completely fine and I believe that the CPU cooler is going to "squish" the CPU against the socket nicely. It's not like the CPU falls out of the socket, it truly is only a minimal gap (after holding it down), but of course, the gap itself does not comply with official AMD standards, which is why it isn't normal (at least from what I know).

As far as your question: I have no way of knowing and won't for quite some time, as I am still waiting for some components to be delivered (takes some time in my country), not to mention the GPU...

The only reason I tried installing the CPU is because I was troubleshooting some potential cooler compatibility issues, for which the CPU needed to be installed. So I'm kind of double scr*wed here haha... which is why I came here seeking some help/advice :( 

Should be ok. I mean you did pull the cpu and inspect the pins. If they are all straight, that's good. Come to think of it, that plastic slide might have the bend in it. After thinking about the PCB on a Cpu, it would be relatively straight because of the IHS plate being glued to it. 

As long as the Cpu seems to slide smoothly with the retention bracket and makes that click sound when it sets in, it's probably going to work just fine.

13 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Come to think of it, that plastic slide might have the bend in it.

@ShrimpBrime you know... I think I may have a theory: due to the design of my AIO cooler, the Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360 (rev. 3), the backplate of the motherboard is COMPLETELY loose if the AIO cooler is actually not installed fully, as described in this link (if you'd like to see and read about it yourself).

So, MAYBE, the board has a slight bend in it without the backplate tightening it at the EXACT spot where the CPU socket is...

13 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

makes that click sound when it sets in

The only thing I'm not sure of is this click sound you're mentioning... The click sound only happens once you LIFT the retention arm..

8 hours ago, gal-m said:

@ShrimpBrime you know... I think I may have a theory: due to the design of my AIO cooler, the Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360 (rev. 3), the backplate of the motherboard is COMPLETELY loose if the AIO cooler is actually not installed fully, as described in this link (if you'd like to see and read about it yourself).

So, MAYBE, the board has a slight bend in it without the backplate tightening it at the EXACT spot where the CPU socket is...

The only thing I'm not sure of is this click sound you're mentioning... The click sound only happens once you LIFT the retention arm..

Interesting thread....

A loose backplate though?

I've never seen a loose backplate. Typically you remove it if the cooler comes with it's own. It should be tight to the back of the board.

The cooler and back plate squeeze the cpu, and that's where your "mounting pressure" comes from. 

5 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

A loose backplate though?

Yep.

During the install of an Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360 AIO (rev. 3), after you screw in the custom standoffs, the backplate remains loose - as written in the above mentioned post I made. Multiple users with the same motherboard (Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming) have reported this type of behaviour. It tightens up once you completely assemble the AIO and tighten it onto the CPU. But before that, it's completely loose.

1 minute ago, gal-m said:

Yep.

During the install of an Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360 AIO (rev. 3), after you screw in the custom standoffs, the backplate remains loose - as written in the above mentioned post I made. Multiple users with the same motherboard (Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming) have reported this type of behaviour. It tightens up once you completely assemble the AIO and tighten it onto the CPU. But before that, it's completely loose.

As long as it tightens up.... that's fine. 

Although I did read your other thread quickly, I missed where you mentioned it does tighten up. 

Interesting. 

I'd also like to invite @SimiGi and @Allar_a to join this debate and kindly ask them to review this (so far) short post about an issue I have been experiencing, as they have, or are going to be installing an AMD Zen 3 CPU to an Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherbpard and cooling their CPU's with an Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360 AIO (rev. 3) - so we're basically talking about a IDENTICAL configuration.

Guys, I kindly ask you to participate in this discussion and share your experience, info, thoughts, etc. (the issue is explained in the very first post of this thread)

I thank you sincerely.

8 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I missed where you mentioned it does tighten up

It's the very last post on my thread.

There's also another thread with another user that experienced the same issue (only as far as cooler installation is concerned, not CPU installation issues...)

1 minute ago, gal-m said:

It's the very last post on my thread.

There's also another thread with another user that experienced the same issue (only as far as cooler installation is concerned, not CPU installation issues...)

Well, then the cooler mounting proceedure you guys describe is normal more so than an issue.  (IMO) 

The cpu deal, I've seen that happen to me as well. But never had a problem from it. 

Inside the sockets, the pins slide into little V shaped contacts. They can be damaged by bent pins, but since you have no bent pins, you recieved the board that way.

4 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

As long as it tightens up.... that's fine. 

Although I did read your other thread quickly, I missed where you mentioned it does tighten up. 

Interesting. 

Yep, was the same on my Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming. Firstly installed an air cooler with which the thumbscrews already tighten up the backplate. Then tried to install the Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360 AIO (rev. 3) and the initial mounting screws left the backplate really loose which freaked me out. I guess it is because they use very small screws there for whatever reason.

What components are you still missing? Otherwise you could try and turn it on and check the displayed code numbers or the LEDs indicating possible CPU failures.

I'm currently starting to try to fully install it and will report back here. 

5 minutes ago, SimiGi said:

What components are you still missing? Otherwise you could try and turn it on and check the displayed code numbers or the LEDs indicating possible CPU failures.

Waiting for RAM, m.2 SSD, PSU, etc. I think that if my cooler is going to "squish" the CPU into the socket nicely, there shouldn't be any issues, but who knows 😅.

6 minutes ago, SimiGi said:

I'm currently starting to try to fully install it and will report back here. 

Okay, thank you so much @SimiGi! Really appreciate the help. Good luck!

9 hours ago, gal-m said:

Waiting for RAM, m.2 SSD, PSU, etc. I think that if my cooler is going to "squish" the CPU into the socket nicely, there shouldn't be any issues, but who knows 😅.

Okay, thank you so much @SimiGi! Really appreciate the help. Good luck!

So you can be confident that everything will work as expected. The installation was successful and the AiO does its job. It won't touch the capacitors or the m.2 heatsinks. 

As well as with your CPU not sitting perfectly fine, I think, as long as the pins are all straight and the cpu holds in place, you don't have to worry about it. Once the AiO-block is mounted on it, the pins will have enough contact for sure. 

The next thing to do now is to play around with the voltage to reduce the hot temperatures of my 5800x, since the Arctic Liquid Cooler controls its pump and fans according to PWM which are running faster than neccessary in idle, because the fan curve is setup for lower cpu temps 🙂

As I mentioned in previous thread - backplate was loose with both Cryorig H5U's and Arctic 360 II's mounting hardware and was tightened up once you actually installed a cooler on a mounting hardware. It think this is normal and compliant with the standard.

Now, about installing cpu into the socket - I didn't notice any issues with cpu sitting in the socket. I think that in your case I would proceed with cooler installation. However, if you want to get a peace of mind, the I suggest you write Asus directly - because in case of problems you need a valid warranty and manufacturers comment on how to proceed in this case will keep the warranty valid.

16 hours ago, SimiGi said:

So you can be confident that everything will work as expected. The installation was successful and the AiO does its job. It won't touch the capacitors or the m.2 heatsinks. 

As well as with your CPU not sitting perfectly fine, I think, as long as the pins are all straight and the cpu holds in place, you don't have to worry about it. Once the AiO-block is mounted on it, the pins will have enough contact for sure. 

@SimiGi I truly appreciate the help! Thank you. I am glad you've built your computer and hope it will continue working flawlessly for years to come.

Cheers!!!

7 hours ago, Allar_a said:

I didn't notice any issues with cpu sitting in the socket. I think that in your case I would proceed with cooler installation. However, if you want to get a peace of mind, the I suggest you write Asus directly - because in case of problems you need a valid warranty and manufacturers comment on how to proceed in this case will keep the warranty valid.

@Allar_a thanks for getting back to me and thanks for the suggestion. It might not be a bad idea. I think I'm also going to ring the local store I bought the board and CPU from to see what they say. But like @SimiGi and a reddit user I was talking to (he had the same issue) said - as long as the AIO holds it in, everything should be just fine.

Thanks for all of your help! I truly am grateful!