Mix and match RAM - apparently same speed but unsure if it's compatible

Now that I have free time until Tuesday, I have lots of ideas of things to do.

This is #1:
I have 4GB sticks of DDR3. It's PC3-12800U, which as far as I can tell, is 1600 MHz.

In my Phenom tower, I have a 4x2GB kit of OCZ DDR3-1600 CL9.

What I would like to know is if I can swap out 2 of the 2GB sticks for my 2 4GB sticks.

Here is the kit that I'd like to add:

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Hynix-HMT451U6AFR8C-PB-Computer-PC3-12800U/dp/B016KVVB5U
Here is what's in there (I think my uncle bought 2 kits of this):

https://www.newegg.com/ocz-4gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820227316

elephants

More than likely, yes. Motherboards can be a little picky sometimes, but generally, similar RAM made by the same manufacturer will tend to play relatively nicely from my experiences. 

It's only a real problem on Ryzen, but considering that your setup is probably older than you, you should be fine.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, handymanshandle said:

More than likely, yes. Motherboards can be a little picky sometimes, but generally, similar RAM made by the same manufacturer will tend to play relatively nicely from my experiences. 

It's only a real problem on Ryzen, but considering that your setup is probably older than you, you should be fine.

I am insulted.

I'm older than the CPU by 3 years.

elephants

7 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Turns out it's PC3-10666 and the auto-overclock set it to 1600.

Guess we'll find out if it works.

elephants

As long as they are the same model and frequency it should work fine, i never really had issues in those cases, hell i even got lucky getting different models, speeds and brands working together in dual channel sometimes.

Just now, Seyrren said:

As long as they are the same model and frequency it should work fine, i never really had issues in those cases, hell i even got lucky getting different models, speeds and brands working together in dual channel sometimes.

Well, I got it running at 1333 MHz 1.5 volts.

1600 MHz was just no.

But 12GB of DDR3-1333? Sure!
Then I can put 10GB to my Minecraft server instead of 6.

elephants

8 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Well, I got it running at 1333 MHz 1.5 volts.

1600 MHz was just no.

But 12GB of DDR3-1333? Sure!
Then I can put 10GB to my Minecraft server instead of 6.

No surprise, the motherboard probably prioritized the Kit with 1600 Mhz and overclocked the slower DDR3 1333 to that speed with no success. But at 1333 Mhz it should be absolutely fine unless you overclock to much the CPU.

I did something similar with Kingston mixing Value Ram with the Savage series to get 24 Gb of RAM, both worked fine in dual channel but i had to set the timings and speed of the savage to match the ones of the Value Ram. Overclocking to much though was a no go with that config (it was also an AMD system, though an FX series CPU).