Should I repaste my graphics card?

SpookSnep

The title was almost "remaster" my graphics card thanks to autocorrect.

Anyways, I hope I'm not pestering by asking a well-asked question, but I'm not sure of the risk-reward for my particular situation. Here's the run down:

-ASUS GTX 1070 TURBO

-Temps under load: 80C

-Temps with aggressive (and horribly loud) fan curve: 65C

-probably been running hot, maybe not the 80C region but close, since I got it 4 years ago.

-my only graphics card which I cannot break for the foreseeable future.

So with that info, the question is this: as someone who has never done this before but isn't an idiot (probably) and likely knows what they're doing, is the risk of destroying my only chance at playing games low enough to be worth replacing what *could be* very old, very abused, very low quality thermal paste?

Not a bad idea. Should get at least couple of degrees cooler.

Not easy to destroy the GPU if watched some youtube videos how to do it.

I edit my posts more often than not

its a blower style card... you likely wont see much if any real improvement sadly. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

its a blower style card... you likely wont see much if any real improvement sadly. 

If the paste is hard, it helps a lot. My (legendary at this point) GTX 650 Ti Boosts have blower cards and repasting lowered idle temps by 10C.

Just make sure to reconnect the fan - I was confused why I had 70C idle temps until I noticed the fan wasn't spinning.

elephants

If you are going to repaste your gpu, why not add an AIO to it?

It would probably help to repaste it. A card that old and hasn't been cleaned (deep cleaned), would help to clean it all the way to the core. The paste could be cracked and not making good contact. The heatsink could be dirty and not providing great cooling either.

If you built your computer, you can take apart a GPU just fine. Screw here, screw there. Clean, reverse disassemble. Just do not mix up the screws. Lay the screws out how you took them out and ensure they go to the right hole.

Overall, good idea. Will it make it as cool as you want it? Probably not.

2 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

If the paste is hard, it helps a lot. My (legendary at this point) GTX 650 Ti Boosts have blower cards and repasting lowered idle temps by 10C.

Just make sure to reconnect the fan - I was confused why I had 70C idle temps until I noticed the fan wasn't spinning.

Yes...save the headache and plug the fan back in...biggest pain ever...

Just now, EpiCheeseTime said:

Yes...save the headache and plug the fan back in...biggest pain ever...

It doesn't help that with this card it just shuts off instead of clocking super low, so I'd be moving a model in Onshape and then my displays would go black.

elephants

23 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Not a bad idea. Should get at least couple of degrees cooler.

Not easy to destroy the GPU if watched some youtube videos how to do it.

Sounds good, thanks for the reply!

23 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I can't see how the type of cooler will affect the quality of heat transfer from the die. I'll keep this comment in mind if it does nothing though LOL

20 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

This is honestly what I'm hoping for. And yeah, I'll try not to derp on anything but no promises! Thanks for the input!

17 minutes ago, EpiCheeseTime said:

If you are going to repaste your gpu, why not add an AIO to it?

It would probably help to repaste it. A card that old and hasn't been cleaned (deep cleaned), would help to clean it all the way to the core. The paste could be cracked and not making good contact. The heatsink could be dirty and not providing great cooling either.

If you built your computer, you can take apart a GPU just fine. Screw here, screw there. Clean, reverse disassemble. Just do not mix up the screws. Lay the screws out how you took them out and ensure they go to the right hole.

Overall, good idea. Will it make it as cool as you want it? Probably not.

This is kinda what I was figuring but I always like to be sure. Thanks for the reply :)

I'm gonna be rebuilding my PC today in a new case (with better airflow) with a new PSU (with a better rating) so I might as well do the graphics card at the same time. Also putting a better cooler on my CPU so this is all a temperature upgrade it seems.