Weird PC issue. Long time YouTuber

DrewSO
Go to solution Solved by Biomecanoid,
11 minutes ago, DrewSO said:

So my old DeepCool 360ex was only lighting up half way after 10 months. I received a replacement yesterday. I swapped out the old AIO and put the new in. I also put new fans in the system with a new controller.

The CPU came off with the AIO. I wiggled it around on the bottom of the AIO and it came free pretty easy. Cleaned off the thermal paste and a very small amount got on the pins. It was Arctic MX4 paste. I used rubbing alcohol on the other side to clean off the paste and a small amount a q tip carefully on the pins then a new toothbrush and a plastic q-tip carefully cleaning the pins when it made contact.

The PC did not boot up once everything was attached again. I read to take the RAM out so I did. I have 2 sticks of 16gb Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz DDR4 RAM. It will only run with one stick of RAM. I'm not sure what I did to the RAM? I tried swapping the one stick out that worked with the other stick I had in slot 1 and it did not boot. Did it just so happen my one stick failed? So odd. I didn't do anything to the ram. Wondering if I messed a pin up, but when I switched out the RAM sticks the one didnt work in slot 3, but the other one does. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x

Ram: Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz 16gb (2 Sticks)

MOBO: MSI X570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi 

All worked fine before.

Any suggestions? Try different memory sticks maybe?

You problem is with your CPU, since this is where you messed up.  Damaged CPU or damaged pins can lead to memory not fully recognized or working

So my old DeepCool 360ex was only lighting up half way after 10 months. I received a replacement yesterday. I swapped out the old AIO and put the new in. I also put new fans in the system with a new controller.

The CPU came off with the AIO. I wiggled it around on the bottom of the AIO and it came free pretty easy. Cleaned off the thermal paste and a very small amount got on the pins. It was Arctic MX4 paste. I used rubbing alcohol on the other side to clean off the paste and a small amount a q tip carefully on the pins then a new toothbrush and a plastic q-tip carefully cleaning the pins when it made contact.

The PC did not boot up once everything was attached again. I read to take the RAM out so I did. I have 2 sticks of 16gb Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz DDR4 RAM. It will only run with one stick of RAM. I'm not sure what I did to the RAM? I tried swapping the one stick out that worked with the other stick I had in slot 1 and it did not boot. Did it just so happen my one stick failed? So odd. I didn't do anything to the ram. Wondering if I messed a pin up, but when I switched out the RAM sticks the one didnt work in slot 3, but the other one does. 

All worked fine before.

4 minutes ago, DrewSO said:

<snip>

check you didn't accidentally bend any pins on the cpu 

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

11 minutes ago, DrewSO said:

All worked fine before.

You problem is with your CPU, since this is where you messed up.  Damaged CPU or damaged pins can lead to memory not fully recognized or working

Thank you both!

So I found the bent pin. Went to bend it back and it snapped off, but oddly enough both RAM sticks work now? This is weird. Something has to be missing. Everything seems to be working fine. How do I check the CPU to make sure everything is functioning correctly?

1 hour ago, DrewSO said:

Thank you both!

So I found the bent pin. Went to bend it back and it snapped off, but oddly enough both RAM sticks work now? This is weird. Something has to be missing. Everything seems to be working fine. How do I check the CPU to make sure everything is functioning correctly?

Run some benchmarks, maybe it's faster now that would be an awesome new tuning tech! 

As for how to test this prime 95 would probably work (until it won't) or cinebench. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

PS: you didn't make any pics, did you? 

would be good to know how far "down" the pin actually broke, I think it might actually still make contact if it wasn't too much that broke off (though I'm definitely no cpu expert) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

PS: you didn't make any pics, did you? 

would be good to know how far "down" the pin actually broke, I think it might actually still make contact if it wasn't too much that broke off (though I'm definitely no cpu expert) 

I did not after the pin broke off. I was the bottom right pin from the orientation arrow pointing to the top left.

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Run some benchmarks, maybe it's faster now that would be an awesome new tuning tech! 

As for how to test this prime 95 would probably work (until it won't) or cinebench. 

Im kinda scared to run a benchmark now lol