Building a server for Minecraft, File sharing and , to run a firewall on.

6 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea that won't take much compute power at all.

This probalby what id go. You can probalby get less ram if you want.

Id get biger hdds, as ther not much more money. Id probalby get 1x32gb dimm or 2x16 so you can upgrade if you want. 

You can go older server stuff, but single threaded perf is lower, and they like more power, and the extra cores won't help you here.

So I am not that smart but the core I9 is a good single threaded right?  as the core i5 i am not sure about

7 hours ago, ITZSELLABGAMING said:

So I am not that smart but the core I9 is a good single threaded right?  as the core i5 i am not sure about

THere pretty simmilar, id say not worth the extra for a small minecraft server.

8 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

THere pretty simmilar, id say not worth the extra for a small minecraft server.

would you say over all like and I9 is good. cause i want file sharing and to run Minecraft server and some other  things

4 minutes ago, ITZSELLABGAMING said:

would you say over all like and I9 is good. cause i want file sharing and to run Minecraft server and some other  things

id get the i5 here.  More than fast enough for these uses, and cheaper and low power.

6 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

id get the i5 here.  More than fast enough for these uses, and cheaper and low power.

I'd also agree with this. For the most part the i9 vs i7 vs i5 is marketing. Performance differences are all very very small at exponentially higher cost. People fall victim to the marketing because they feel like they want something fancy when they are really just getting marginal performance and wasting their $. Save money on the CPU, focus your budget on the drives.

Computers r fun