Building a server for Minecraft, File sharing and , to run a firewall on.

1 minute ago, ITZSELLABGAMING said:

Ok, I am attempting to find used pc and part but so far I have found nothing after about 10 days of looking, if you have any suggestions to where i should look that would be great.

Offerup, Ebay, Facebook marketplace. There are dozens if not thousands.

Just now, ITZSELLABGAMING said:

Oh ok, In that case the do not have gig lan I am pretty sure that is what they are rolling out.

Again, this makes no sense. AT&T has absoloutely nothing to do with your LAN. They provide internet to your building, that is it. The network hardware you have inside your walls is not AT&Ts responsability.

Computers r fun

Ok, I am attempting to find used pc and part but so far I have found nothing after about 10 days of looking, if you have any suggestions to where i should look that would be great.

Can you get used desktop in your area? most of those will work fine?

But id probably go with a new i5 10400 + b460 board + 32/64gb of ram. THen get a 500gb for boot + vms, and a few large hdds.

Oh ok, In that case the do not have gig lan I am pretty sure that is what they are rolling out.

IF your local network isn't even gigabit, then your local hard disk drive will be faster than a server with SSDs.

Computers r fun

Just now, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Again, this makes no sense. AT&T has absoloutely nothing to do with your LAN. They provide internet to your building, that is it. The network hardware you have inside your walls is not AT&Ts responsability.

If you mean the house wiring system for ethernet then it would be cat 5 wiring.

If you mean the house wiring system for ethernet then it would be cat 5 wiring.

Cat5 can do gigabit. It's more about the router/switch everything is connected to.

Computers r fun

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

But id probably go with a new i5 10400 + b460 board + 32/64gb of ram. THen get a 500gb for boot + vms, and a few large hdds.

vms(Vendor management system)? why would I use a vms?

Just now, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Cat5 can do gigabit. It's more about the router/switch everything is connected to.

Oh ok, ya it is rated for gig lan then.

vms(Vendor management system)? why would I use a vms?

vms is virtual machines. 

THey make it much easier to migrate, backup different services. 

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

vms is virtual machines. 

THey make it much easier to migrate, backup different services. 

Oh, I am planning to use a vm but am not sure about anything as I have not done any researcher into what would be a good vm

Oh, I am planning to use a vm but am not sure about anything as I have not done any researcher into what would be a good vm

Id probably use proxmox as a hypervisor. Then run whatever vms you want in there.

How do you plan to have the firewall setup?

Oh ok, ya it is rated for gig lan then.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1000+megabits+to+megabytes

Your 1000 gigabit LAN system will support up to 125 MB/s, which is the average speed for mid-range hard disk drives. SSDs can get up to 500 mb/s.

Now, SSDs have a lot more responsiveness, but don't be expecting extremely fast transfer speeds with a fancy array of SSDs. I think you should just get two SSDs in raid 1 at either 2tb or 4tb.

Computers r fun

2 minutes ago, ITZSELLABGAMING said:

VM would be best for security, but if you are looking for the dead simplist, easiest soloution you can just use windows no VMs

1. you can do a software raid in windows 10 (its not very performant but for simple redundancy and cost effectivness its easy)

2. Familiar interface, no learning curve

3. Built in defender and firewall

4. Dead simple secure file sharing between windows (and even mac/linux if setup right)

Computers r fun

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id probably use proxmox as a hypervisor. Then run whatever vms you want in there.

How do you plan to have the firewall setup?

I am not sure about that at this time.

6 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=1000+megabits+to+megabytes

Your 1000 gigabit LAN system will support up to 125 MB/s, which is the average speed for mid-range hard disk drives. SSDs can get up to 500 mb/s.

Now, SSDs have a lot more responsiveness, but don't be expecting extremely fast transfer speeds with a fancy array of SSDs. I think you should just get two SSDs in raid 1 at either 2tb or 4tb.

would it be a good idea to have everything on HDD and the raid setup on the SSD?

I am not sure about that at this time.

Do you want this to work as the home firewall/router?

would it be a good idea to have everything on HDD and the raid setup on the SSD?

You probably want the raid on the hdd as thats where most of the nas data will be, and hdds are less reliable.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you want this to work as the home firewall/router?

You probably want the raid on the hdd as thats where most of the nas data will be, and hdds are less reliable.

ok that is a good idea then. Also I want it as a yes I want it as a home router firewall

3 minutes ago, ITZSELLABGAMING said:

ok that is a good idea then. Also I want it as a yes I want it as a home router firewall

ID probably suggest against this and just get a seperate firewall like a edge router lite, but something like untangle in a vm will work fine.

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

ID probably suggest against this and just get a seperate firewall like a edge router lite, but something like untangle in a vm will work fine.

Oh ok

36 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

36 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1052236185243139/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/722394478474435/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

would you guy recommend one of these?  

1 hour ago, ITZSELLABGAMING said:

Both of those are pretty old, and not great prices, id hunt ebay, or get something new. FOr $1000 and waing a tower with low powerna nd power consumption might as well go new.

16 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Both of those are pretty old, and not great prices, id hunt ebay, or get something new. FOr $1000 and waing a tower with low powerna nd power consumption might as well go new.

power consumptions won't be an issues but need to to be powerful and be able to run a Minecraft server with the ability to share files

I have build these 2 different server builds on pc part picker, if any are good which one should i go with?

2 hours ago, ITZSELLABGAMING said:

power consumptions won't be an issues but need to to be powerful and be able to run a Minecraft server with the ability to share files

Yea that won't take much compute power at all.

1 hour ago, ITZSELLABGAMING said:

This probalby what id go. You can probalby get less ram if you want.

Id get biger hdds, as ther not much more money. Id probalby get 1x32gb dimm or 2x16 so you can upgrade if you want. 

You can go older server stuff, but single threaded perf is lower, and they like more power, and the extra cores won't help you here.