Getting frustrated looking for monitors.

Ledmirage

LG makes 4k tvs with 120hz, Gsync, Free sync, and local dimming HDR.  Huge ass tvs that cost less than 2000 bucks.  But I can't find a 27" monitor with that spec that doesn't cost arm and a leg!  What's going on?

14 minutes ago, Ledmirage said:

LG makes 4k tvs with 120hz, Gsync, Free sync, and local dimming HDR.  Huge ass tvs that cost less than 2000 bucks.  But I can't find a 27" monitor with that spec that doesn't cost arm and a leg!  What's going on?

"niche market" "new tech" come to mind. That stuff has kind of existed for eh, technically 3 years, but at really, really expensive prices. DP 1.4 has existed on gpus since what? Like the 1080, but monitor tech hasn't really caught up. The need for such a monitor is pretty limited, and up until the Ampere launch most people wouldn't have been able to leverage 4k 120hz with basically any hardware. Practically, monitors that are more consumer-grade and not engineering sample/ prosumer grade (for some reason), have only existed for like six months now.

Basically it boils down to the fact that manufacturing costs on these panels are quite high since it's new tech, these types of displays only very recently have become relevant, and they're low-production, high-cost since most consumers can't buy them, as they can cost more than the entire system of an average consumer.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

26 minutes ago, Ledmirage said:

Agreed, but I would wait, the monitor market is going crazy for example I paid 144$ for this monitor in march 2020 and now its 200$ crazy.

2 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

"niche market" "new tech" come to mind. That stuff has kind of existed for eh, technically 3 years, but at really, really expensive prices. DP 1.4 has existed on gpus since what? Like the 1080, but monitor tech hasn't really caught up. The need for such a monitor is pretty limited, and up until the Ampere launch most people wouldn't have been able to leverage 4k 120hz with basically any hardware. Practically, monitors that are more consumer-grade and not engineering sample/ prosumer grade (for some reason), have only existed for like six months now.

Basically it boils down to the fact that manufacturing costs on these panels are quite high since it's new tech, these types of displays only very recently have become relevant, and they're low-production, high-cost since most consumers can't buy them, as they can cost more than the entire system of an average consumer.

Well, that's the thing, what's the point of getting a RTX 30 series when I don't have the proper monitor to take advantage of the card?  I can use it on a 4K tv, but who puts a 55" tv on his desk?  Or at least they can make smaller tvs.  All these tvs have 48" minimum, if not 55"

15 hours ago, Ledmirage said:

Well, that's the thing, what's the point of getting a RTX 30 series when I don't have the proper monitor to take advantage of the card?  I can use it on a 4K tv, but who puts a 55" tv on his desk?  Or at least they can make smaller tvs.  All these tvs have 48" minimum, if not 55"

It depends what you're doing with it. a 27' monitor only really need 1440p to look pretty damn sharp. Plus, most modern titles will not run at 120fps at 4k with the settings cranked. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

7 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

It depends what you're doing with it. a 27' monitor only really need 1440p to look pretty damn sharp. Plus, most modern titles will not run at 120fps at 4k with the settings cranked. 

It's gonna be my everything monitor.  I plan to hook up a PS5 and a UHD Blu-ray machine.

THIS is the only monitor I found that actually have everything you want without going ultrawide. The issue is trying to find it in stock. Like GPUs, the higher end gaming monitors are constantly out of stock after a few days now.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

2 hours ago, YubinTheBunny said:

THIS is the only monitor I found that actually have everything you want without going ultrawide. The issue is trying to find it in stock. Like GPUs, the higher end gaming monitors are constantly out of stock after a few days now.

iiirc Asus released several new monitors. All of them still cost nearly 1k USD, if not more.

On 1/14/2021 at 5:03 AM, YubinTheBunny said:

Thanks.  Yeah, I think I'll have to wait until at least summer.  Everything is out of stock.  I guess the short has something to do with the pandemic, and the fact that this generation is truly a leapfrog over the last.  At the worst, I can go up to a 32"  Given the proliferation of the new gen graphics cards, manufacturers will come out with monitors with HDMI 2.1 real soon. 

Honestly LG announced 42inch Oled TVs.

I would wait for one of those.

High end monitors have been overpriced for a while. And I think LG will start a push for "gaming" TVs to bring down prices.

LG also announced 30inch Oled screens.

Really high end monitors make sense if you are doing editing or mastering.

But all those "gaming" monitors that are 1k++++ are mostly just overpriced.

I think next year we will see some very sweet deals on gaming TVs and monitors.

This year I think we will see some popping up but already supply issues are confirmed.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/14/22230654/displayport-2-monitors-delay-vesa-statement

Right now if you want a 4k monitor that hos OK colors they are starting at around 500 and that gets you basically an entry level web editing monitor. No HDR no high Hz just plain screen with decent colors.

I got fed up and got a 500 euro 27inch4k Dell Ultrasharp screen for work and an LG CX for play.

The combo is still cheaper than a comparable gaming monitor......