Need info about 2nd monitor setup

Hello,

So right now I have a P9X79 motherboard which has 1 DVI port.

My current monitor has 1 dvi port and a d-sub port (which I believe is the same as a VGA).

Now I would like to get a new monitor to use as my main monitor.

If I get a new monitor with 2 HDMI ports, and I connect that monitor with my pc with a DVI-HDMI cable, can I connect my second (current) monitor with my main (new) monitor using another dvi-hdmi cable or a dvi-d-sub (vga) cable?

Kind regards, Roy

CMIIW, your motherboard doesn't have a gpu output.

You must've got it from the GPU.

Modern gpu should have more than 1 output.

NO you can't daisy chain the monitor, unless it has that feature, which most consumer monitors doesn't have.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

19 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

CMIIW, your motherboard doesn't have a gpu output.

You must've got it from the GPU.

Modern gpu should have more than 1 output.

NO you can't daisy chain the monitor, unless it has that feature, which most consumer monitors doesn't have.

So for a second monitor you would

recommend me upgrading to a new motherboard?

Your motherboard doesn't have a display output unless your typing the wrong motherboard model.

No, you don't need to upgrade the motherboard just to have more display output.

Depends on what you want to do, i'm assuming you not gaming, get an Nvidia GT710 gpu that has 3 display output.

Usually you will get DVI+HDMI+VGA, so you can just buy a HDMI monitor (or use your lcd tv).

Or if you don't mind buying used parts, go with anything that has PCI-Express and 3 display output, you can get this as low as $10.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

12 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Your motherboard doesn't have a display output unless your typing the wrong motherboard model.

No, you don't need to upgrade the motherboard just to have more display output.

Depends on what you want to do, i'm assuming you not gaming, get an Nvidia GT710 gpu that has 3 display output.

Usually you will get DVI+HDMI+VGA, so you can just buy a HDMI monitor (or use your lcd tv).

Or if you don't mind buying used parts, go with anything that has PCI-Express and 3 display output, you can get this as low as $10.

I actually do gaming on it 😜

My graphics card is a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080